Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Missing HL CD...

Last response: in Video Games
Share
Anonymous
March 1, 2005 1:26:04 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.half-life (More info?)

Hi

I bought Half life years ago, and after a while of not playing it I came to
install it yesterday, unfortunatly when I opened the box..... it was not
there!!! I Have moved house twice since I last installed HL. I have the
Case, the second cd with CS on it and the cd keys, just not the cd
itself!!!!

Is there anywhere I can buy or copy a replacement cd from, or am I going to
have to re-invest in a new copy of the game?

Cheers

James

More about : missing

March 1, 2005 1:40:54 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.half-life (More info?)

On Tue, 1 Mar 2005 10:26:04 -0000, "James Sealey"
<atjr91@dsl.pipex.com> wrote:

>Is there anywhere I can buy or copy a replacement cd from, or am I going to
>have to re-invest in a new copy of the game?

Download Steam from steampowered.com, register your CD key and you can
download the game.
--
Andrew, contact via interpleb.blogspot.com
Help make Usenet a better place: English is read downwards,
please don't top post. Trim replies to quote only relevant text.
Check groups.google.com before asking an obvious question.
Anonymous
March 1, 2005 1:43:11 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.half-life (More info?)

> Download Steam from steampowered.com, register your CD key and you can
> download the game.

Cheers, much appreciated, i've seen this 'Steam' thing crop up a few times
whilst surfing today, seems to have people divided!!!
Related resources
March 1, 2005 1:57:51 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.half-life (More info?)

On Tue, 1 Mar 2005 10:43:11 -0000, "James Sealey"
<atjr91@dsl.pipex.com> wrote:

>Cheers, much appreciated, i've seen this 'Steam' thing crop up a few times
>whilst surfing today, seems to have people divided!!!

Most of us just get on with using it, it is only a vocal minority that
whinge about it.
--
Andrew, contact via interpleb.blogspot.com
Help make Usenet a better place: English is read downwards,
please don't top post. Trim replies to quote only relevant text.
Check groups.google.com before asking an obvious question.
Anonymous
March 1, 2005 2:40:16 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.half-life (More info?)

"James Sealey" <atjr91@dsl.pipex.com> wrote in message
news:ZKidnX4Xntya2bnfRVnyjg@pipex.net
> Hi
>
> I bought Half life years ago, and after a while of not playing it I
> came to install it yesterday, unfortunatly when I opened the box.....
> it was not there!!! I Have moved house twice since I last installed
> HL. I have the Case, the second cd with CS on it and the cd keys,
> just not the cd itself!!!!
>
> Is there anywhere I can buy or copy a replacement cd from, or am I
> going to have to re-invest in a new copy of the game?
>
> Cheers
>
> James

Install Steam (www.steampowered.com), register your CD key to Half-Life,
and Steam will tell you that your Half-Life Platinum Pack is now
registered. Then you install HL, OF, CS and HL:Source via Steam. I do
hope you are on broadband :) 
Be glad you were able to hang onto your case with key!
McG.
Anonymous
March 1, 2005 3:20:01 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.half-life (More info?)

"Andrew" wrote

>>Is there anywhere I can buy or copy a replacement cd from, or am I going
>>to
>>have to re-invest in a new copy of the game?
>
> Download Steam from steampowered.com, register your CD key and you can
> download the game.

Oh I love it :-)
Steam rulezzz

James:
Please be carefull with your usrid/pwd once registered with Steam
Save the credentials on a very safe spot
Those two should be your most precious for the years to come, as you can't
seperate CDKey and Steam userid (at least not without some hazzle)
Your userid will be your "proof of ownership" from now on

If you're on broadband and you need to reinstall/upgrade whatever
Just get the latest steam client from now on, login and get your gamecontent

As easy as getting drunk on a saturday night in town :-)

- Peter
Anonymous
March 1, 2005 3:52:49 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.half-life (More info?)

"McGrandpa" wrote

> Install Steam (www.steampowered.com), register your CD key to Half-Life,
> and Steam will tell you that your Half-Life Platinum Pack is now
> registered. Then you install HL, OF, CS and HL:Source via Steam.

Not HL:Source that one goes with the Collectors Ed of HL2

- Peter
Anonymous
March 2, 2005 4:36:23 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.half-life (More info?)

"Peter Lykkegaard" <peter.aghl@gmail.com> wrote in message
news:38j3cmF5p445kU1@individual.net
> "McGrandpa" wrote
>
>> Install Steam (www.steampowered.com), register your CD key to
>> Half-Life, and Steam will tell you that your Half-Life Platinum Pack
>> is now registered. Then you install HL, OF, CS and HL:Source via
>> Steam.
>
> Not HL:Source that one goes with the Collectors Ed of HL2
>
> - Peter

It DOES?! Hmm. *WHAT* short term memory? :o p I don't seem to have
*ANY* of that stuff!

McG

<btw--just installed a 6800 GT-256 meg!!! yahooo!>
Anonymous
March 2, 2005 6:46:46 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.half-life (More info?)

Bazza wrote:
> I also have the CD version of HL2 to install. Will the same thing
happen?
> Can I simply use the CD key to register HL2 with steam and download
HL2?
> I have cable ... although the HL1 took a while due to the slowness of
the
> steam servers.

Yes, although it will probably be quicker to install the CD content
first and then you only need to download a few hundred mb of updates.
You won't ever need your HL2 CD/DVD again after that - if you botch up
the files, you can just download them again, and you don't need it in
the drive to play the game.
March 3, 2005 12:40:59 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.half-life (More info?)

"McGrandpa" wrote...
>
> Install Steam (www.steampowered.com), register your CD key to Half-Life,
> and Steam will tell you that your Half-Life Platinum Pack is now
> registered. Then you install HL, OF, CS and HL:Source via Steam. I do
> hope you are on broadband :) 
> Be glad you were able to hang onto your case with key!
> McG.
>

Recently I installed HL1 GOTY edition from CD for my son. I then installed
steam & registered HL1 with steam. I then download a few hundred MB of
"updates". HL1 now runs from the steam directory & the CD HL1 version
doesn't appear to be used. So, can I remove the CD HL1 version?

I also have the CD version of HL2 to install. Will the same thing happen?
Can I simply use the CD key to register HL2 with steam and download HL2?
I have cable ... although the HL1 took a while due to the slowness of the
steam servers.

Cheers
Barry...
Anonymous
March 3, 2005 12:41:00 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.half-life (More info?)

"Bazza" <Bazza@privacy.com> wrote in message
news:38ljhtF5p1fulU1@individual.net
> "McGrandpa" wrote...
>>
>> Install Steam (www.steampowered.com), register your CD key to
>> Half-Life, and Steam will tell you that your Half-Life Platinum Pack
>> is now registered. Then you install HL, OF, CS and HL:Source via
>> Steam. I do hope you are on broadband :) 
>> Be glad you were able to hang onto your case with key!
>> McG.
>>
>
> Recently I installed HL1 GOTY edition from CD for my son. I then
> installed steam & registered HL1 with steam. I then download a few
> hundred MB of "updates". HL1 now runs from the steam directory & the
> CD HL1 version doesn't appear to be used. So, can I remove the CD
> HL1 version?
>
> I also have the CD version of HL2 to install. Will the same thing
> happen? Can I simply use the CD key to register HL2 with steam and
> download HL2?
> I have cable ... although the HL1 took a while due to the slowness of
> the steam servers.
>
> Cheers
> Barry...

I have my original install of HL1 still running in its own folder.
Well, original before Steam anyway :)  When I installed Steam, set up
account, then used my CD key, I put all the Steam stuff in its own
folder. Including any games that Steam installs of course. The two
versions of HL are run seperately. If you installed it that way, you
can easily uninstall HL original. As for the HL that shows up in your
Steam>Play Games menu, you can select to delete local content, but if
it's an available game the name will show up in that menu.
McG.
!