Missing HL CD...

Hi

I bought Half life years ago, and after a while of not playing it I came to
install it yesterday, unfortunatly when I opened the box..... it was not
there!!! I Have moved house twice since I last installed HL. I have the
Case, the second cd with CS on it and the cd keys, just not the cd
itself!!!!

Is there anywhere I can buy or copy a replacement cd from, or am I going to
have to re-invest in a new copy of the game?

Cheers

James
10 answers Last reply
More about missing

    On Tue, 1 Mar 2005 10:26:04 -0000, "James Sealey"
    <atjr91@dsl.pipex.com> wrote:

    >Is there anywhere I can buy or copy a replacement cd from, or am I going to
    >have to re-invest in a new copy of the game?

    Download Steam from steampowered.com, register your CD key and you can
    download the game.

    > Download Steam from steampowered.com, register your CD key and you can
    > download the game.

    Cheers, much appreciated, i've seen this 'Steam' thing crop up a few times
    whilst surfing today, seems to have people divided!!!

    On Tue, 1 Mar 2005 10:43:11 -0000, "James Sealey"
    <atjr91@dsl.pipex.com> wrote:

    >Cheers, much appreciated, i've seen this 'Steam' thing crop up a few times
    >whilst surfing today, seems to have people divided!!!

    Most of us just get on with using it, it is only a vocal minority that
    whinge about it.

    "James Sealey" <atjr91@dsl.pipex.com> wrote in message
    > Hi
    >
    > I bought Half life years ago, and after a while of not playing it I
    > came to install it yesterday, unfortunatly when I opened the box.....
    > it was not there!!! I Have moved house twice since I last installed
    > HL. I have the Case, the second cd with CS on it and the cd keys,
    > just not the cd itself!!!!
    >
    > Is there anywhere I can buy or copy a replacement cd from, or am I
    > going to have to re-invest in a new copy of the game?
    >
    > Cheers
    >
    > James

    Install Steam (www.steampowered.com), register your CD key to Half-Life,
    and Steam will tell you that your Half-Life Platinum Pack is now
    registered. Then you install HL, OF, CS and HL:Source via Steam. I do
    hope you are on broadband :)
    Be glad you were able to hang onto your case with key!
    McG.

    "Andrew" wrote

    >>Is there anywhere I can buy or copy a replacement cd from, or am I going
    >>have to re-invest in a new copy of the game?
    >
    > Download Steam from steampowered.com, register your CD key and you can
    > download the game.

    Oh I love it :-)
    Steam rulezzz

    James:
    Please be carefull with your usrid/pwd once registered with Steam
    Save the credentials on a very safe spot
    Those two should be your most precious for the years to come, as you can't
    seperate CDKey and Steam userid (at least not without some hazzle)
    Your userid will be your "proof of ownership" from now on

    If you're on broadband and you need to reinstall/upgrade whatever
    Just get the latest steam client from now on, login and get your gamecontent

    As easy as getting drunk on a saturday night in town :-)

    - Peter

    "McGrandpa" wrote

    > Install Steam (www.steampowered.com), register your CD key to Half-Life,
    > and Steam will tell you that your Half-Life Platinum Pack is now
    > registered. Then you install HL, OF, CS and HL:Source via Steam.

    Not HL:Source that one goes with the Collectors Ed of HL2

    - Peter

    "Peter Lykkegaard" <peter.aghl@gmail.com> wrote in message
    > "McGrandpa" wrote
    >
    >> Install Steam (www.steampowered.com), register your CD key to
    >> Half-Life, and Steam will tell you that your Half-Life Platinum Pack
    >> is now registered. Then you install HL, OF, CS and HL:Source via
    >> Steam.
    >
    > Not HL:Source that one goes with the Collectors Ed of HL2
    >
    > - Peter

    It DOES?! Hmm. *WHAT* short term memory? :op I don't seem to have
    *ANY* of that stuff!

    McG

    <btw--just installed a 6800 GT-256 meg!!! yahooo!>

    Bazza wrote:
    > I also have the CD version of HL2 to install. Will the same thing
    happen?
    > Can I simply use the CD key to register HL2 with steam and download
    HL2?
    > I have cable ... although the HL1 took a while due to the slowness of
    the
    > steam servers.

    Yes, although it will probably be quicker to install the CD content
    first and then you only need to download a few hundred mb of updates.
    You won't ever need your HL2 CD/DVD again after that - if you botch up
    the files, you can just download them again, and you don't need it in
    the drive to play the game.

    "McGrandpa" wrote...

    > Install Steam (www.steampowered.com), register your CD key to Half-Life,
    > and Steam will tell you that your Half-Life Platinum Pack is now
    > registered. Then you install HL, OF, CS and HL:Source via Steam. I do
    > hope you are on broadband :)
    > Be glad you were able to hang onto your case with key!
    > McG.

    Recently I installed HL1 GOTY edition from CD for my son. I then installed
    steam & registered HL1 with steam. I then download a few hundred MB of
    "updates". HL1 now runs from the steam directory & the CD HL1 version
    doesn't appear to be used. So, can I remove the CD HL1 version?

    I also have the CD version of HL2 to install. Will the same thing happen?
    Can I simply use the CD key to register HL2 with steam and download HL2?
    I have cable ... although the HL1 took a while due to the slowness of the
    steam servers.

    Cheers
    Barry...

    "Bazza" <Bazza@privacy.com> wrote in message
    > "McGrandpa" wrote...
    >>
    >> Install Steam (www.steampowered.com), register your CD key to
    >> Half-Life, and Steam will tell you that your Half-Life Platinum Pack
    >> is now registered. Then you install HL, OF, CS and HL:Source via
    >> Steam. I do hope you are on broadband :)
    >> Be glad you were able to hang onto your case with key!
    >> McG.
    >>

    > Recently I installed HL1 GOTY edition from CD for my son. I then
    > installed steam & registered HL1 with steam. I then download a few
    > hundred MB of "updates". HL1 now runs from the steam directory & the
    > CD HL1 version doesn't appear to be used. So, can I remove the CD
    > HL1 version?
    >
    > I also have the CD version of HL2 to install. Will the same thing
    > happen? Can I simply use the CD key to register HL2 with steam and
    > download HL2?
    > I have cable ... although the HL1 took a while due to the slowness of
    > the steam servers.
    >
    > Cheers
    > Barry...

    I have my original install of HL1 still running in its own folder.
    Well, original before Steam anyway :) When I installed Steam, set up
    account, then used my CD key, I put all the Steam stuff in its own
    folder. Including any games that Steam installs of course. The two
    versions of HL are run seperately. If you installed it that way, you
    can easily uninstall HL original. As for the HL that shows up in your
    Steam>Play Games menu, you can select to delete local content, but if
    it's an available game the name will show up in that menu.
    McG.

Games CD-Rom Video Games