Windows 7 Passes XP, Now Most Popular OS in the World

Status
Not open for further replies.

icepick314

Distinguished
Jul 24, 2002
"about 650,000 million licenses sold per day"

good lord that's more than the entire population of Earth!!!

joking aside, Windows 7 IS great OS overall...easy on the eye and almost no crashes...probably THE best OS ever from MS besides Windows 2000....

zorky9

Distinguished
Sep 22, 2009
If the economy's not as bad as it had been the past couple of years, companies would have long ago upgraded to 7.

beardguy

Distinguished
Dec 10, 2010
Great news. XP was good in it's day, but it really needs to die already.

I work for a fortune 500 company and we are just now finally upgrading to Windows 7 from XP.

Windows 7 FTW!

gmcizzle

Distinguished
Mar 20, 2009
I was very reluctant to move from XP to Win7, especially after I had to use the mess known as Vista on my laptop. I moved to win7 recently...mainly because of BF3...and I have to say I really like it. With decent hardware, it seems to be much more responsive than XP and has a few nice things XP doesn't (ie. theme/bg profiles, system tray icon control, etc.). The only annoying thing about win7 is the icons seem to be a lot larger than on XP. Basically, if you are still using XP or XP 64-bit like I have for a while, you will like win7 as long as you are open to it.

billybobser

Distinguished
Aug 25, 2011
Slow vista take up was primarily down to driver issues.

Windows 7 is a debloated vista pretty much.

If windows 8 changes the game again, it'll be Vista all over again.

To be honest, i'd like a quicker (cut the fat) and more customisable version (add the fat back in how you like it) made available. Instead of a limited features version and a full featured version.

gamebrigada

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2010
"or about 650,000 million licenses sold per day"

Good golly those aliens love our operating system! Or are people buying licences by the thousands as collectibles?

casperstouch

Distinguished
May 15, 2009
Windows 7 is great for personal use, but until Windows 7 drivers improve, it becomes more compatible with other software, and it becomes more secure then the company I work for will use it. Until then, it will be Windows XP, RedHad, and centOS.

djsting

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2009
[citation][nom]billybobser[/nom]Slow vista take up was primarily down to driver issues.Windows 7 is a debloated vista pretty much.If windows 8 changes the game again, it'll be Vista all over again.To be honest, i'd like a quicker (cut the fat) and more customisable version (add the fat back in how you like it) made available. Instead of a limited features version and a full featured version.[/citation]

^^This.

From the day it came out, I've said Windows 7 is basically Vista 2.0. MS tried to revitalize Vista with the whole Mojave Project. Unfortunatly, it was way too late and the damage was already done. So they slimmed it down a bit, gave it a few tweaks and rebranded it as Win 7. That said, I love it. It's easy to use and easy to support.

[citation][nom]casperstouch[/nom]Windows 7 is great for personal use, but until Windows 7 drivers improve, it becomes more compatible with other software, and it becomes more secure then the company I work for will use it. Until then, it will be Windows XP, RedHad, and centOS.[/citation]

drivers improve? what are you using 30 year old hardware? neither I nor anyone else i know has had any driver problems with windows 7 and if there are any it is not MS fault but the hardware manufacturers. people seem to forget that

reggieray

Distinguished
Nov 4, 2010
[citation][nom]de5_roy[/nom]lol@ vista's numbers. win 7 should take away vista users too.[/citation]
Windows 7 is Vista with a facelift, aka Vista SP2

Goldengoose

Distinguished
Jul 12, 2011
[citation][nom]captaincharisma[/nom]drivers improve? what are you using 30 year old hardware? neither I nor anyone else i know has had any driver problems with windows 7 and if there are any it is not MS fault but the hardware manufacturers. people seem to forget that[/citation]

If you're running a network with 100+ computers on it, it is a massive jump to update to a completely new OS - even getting a service pack to run with current hardware/software is tricky enough.

Until a network manager is happy the software and current hardware (usually printers and old scanners/fax machines) is either compatible or has support/fixes that can be implemented, they won't upgrade. Thats why XP is still being used by a lot of businesses.

like i said it is not MS fault it is the hardware manufacturers responsibility to release drivers for there legacy equipment. every company cannot wait for businesses to find a budget for them to get a new copier/printer/computer or whatever you are talking about. if business are stuck with nothing but old hardware and software then they should not upgrade at all and reimage any new computers they get with XP.

simple as that and still no reason to bash windows 7. and if you have an attitude like this toward something then i fear for the company that would actually let you handle there equipment

warezme

Distinguished
Dec 18, 2006
[citation][nom]gmcizzle[/nom]I was very reluctant to move from XP to Win7, especially after I had to use the mess known as Vista on my laptop. I moved to win7 recently...mainly because of BF3...and I have to say I really like it. With decent hardware, it seems to be much more responsive than XP and has a few nice things XP doesn't (ie. theme/bg profiles, system tray icon control, etc.). The only annoying thing about win7 is the icons seem to be a lot larger than on XP. Basically, if you are still using XP or XP 64-bit like I have for a while, you will like win7 as long as you are open to it.[/citation]
uh, just hold the CTRL button and roll the middle wheel on your mouse up or down. This makes your desktop icons bigger or smaller. The taskbar also has an option for small icons but it is only for the taskbar.

gamebrigada

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2010
[citation][nom]billybobser[/nom]Slow vista take up was primarily down to driver issues.Windows 7 is a debloated vista pretty much.If windows 8 changes the game again, it'll be Vista all over again.To be honest, i'd like a quicker (cut the fat) and more customisable version (add the fat back in how you like it) made available. Instead of a limited features version and a full featured version.[/citation]

Vista was a fuckup on microsofts part when they tried making a single opearting system with half of the programmers working in one programming language and the other half working in another. Then they had to meet a deadline and connect the dots. It couldn't be good. Eventually they worked it out to what it is now. Windows 7 is a complete new build, simple and elegant, with some Vista features.

I am gonna have to agree with drivers being the big issue with Vista

I waited until SP1 for Vista came out. everything seems quite good(it was still smoother then 98 to xp was). Once everything was set to my liking, I got to gaming. crash..... try another game....crash.... many games still worked, but lots of them crashed in the most wonderful ways. Figuring damn you Vista, I was all ready to go back to XP.

Last shot was to try a different video card since other reported having similar issues. My old X1900XT in place and my 8800GTX out, all the sudden every game(I mean EVERY) worked for hours on end(with much worse performance mind you.). E-mailed Nvidia they said it was driver regression and to try a older driver.

Older drivers fixed some games and broke others. By this time, the 8800 series of card, while not old, where on a rather poor driver release schedule. It took over 9 months for a more stable driver to be released. Imagine that, 9 months even after Vista SP1 for a stable driver for a 500-600 dollar video card. I put that card into an XP system and picked up a 4870. Never had an issue with Vista again.

Now I am on 7, mostly since I just pass along my old computers as they are to others when I build a new one.

That said, Windows 7 is just a SP upgrade away from Vista on almost all levels.

vista was only a fuckup because the morons who didn't know crap about a computer tried to upgrade to vista when there computers were like 10 years old. yea try running vista on a Intel celeron 800mhz with 256MB of ram ans see how it runs.

I had vista when i first built my PC back in 2007 and used it for 2 years with no hardware or software issues and that was before the service pack 1

i guess you could say that. both vista and 7 share a lot of features. 7 had more than a facelift, it had the antivistaphobic stuff mixed in it so that pc makers install it in their pcs with out fear. ;)
i hope win 8 doesn't turn into vista. ms makes every other os bearable while its predecessor makes users suffer.(win m.e. -> xp, vista -> 7, 98 ->98se?, win 8.0 -> hope this doesn't happen.)

beardguy

Distinguished
Dec 10, 2010
[citation][nom]captaincharisma[/nom]vista was only a fuckup because the morons who didn't know crap about a computer tried to upgrade to vista when there computers were like 10 years old. yea try running vista on a Intel celeron 800mhz with 256MB of ram ans see how it runs.I had vista when i first built my PC back in 2007 and used it for 2 years with no hardware or software issues and that was before the service pack 1[/citation]

Vista was definitely not as bad as the rep it got. I had the same experience, I used Vista for a couple years without any issues at all. It really was a resource hog though, which they have addressed with Windows 7. The UAC was also a total fail and a good example of how trying to lock Windows down to be secure, comes with a price of constant annoying popups. The interface was also really clunky in some areas and you had to keep clicking and drilling down into menu after menu to find what you needed. Overall I would say Vista was "good" and Windows 7 is excellent.

back_by_demand

Splendid
BANNED
Jul 16, 2009
[citation][nom]reggieray[/nom]Windows 7 is Vista with a facelift, aka Vista SP2[/citation]
People thumbed you down, but I decided to thumbs you up because I am filled with optimism.
Surely this is you noticing that Microsoft has done something to improve and better themselves.
It's nice that someone acknowledges that.
Well done Microsoft, even Reggieray thinks you did a great job and that's a tough sell.

Status
Not open for further replies.