New videocard

ken

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2004
Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.matrox (More info?)

I want a new fast video card to my new PC (I build myself).
It's a Pentium 4 Northwood 3.2 MHz with 1024 MB ECC memory
(2x PC3200) on a ASUS P4C800-E Deluxe motherboard.
The OS is Windows 2000 now and later I change to Windows XP.
Matrox Millennium P750 looks to be a good choice, or?
I never play games but want a very fast 2D card with best picture
quality with two DVI/VGA outputs at the same time as TV output.
Highest picture quality, stability and speed have priority
in this new PC.
Are there other better 2D cards in the same price category?

KJ

Ken wrote:

> I want a new fast video card to my new PC (I build myself).
> It's a Pentium 4 Northwood 3.2 MHz with 1024 MB ECC memory
> (2x PC3200) on a ASUS P4C800-E Deluxe motherboard.
> The OS is Windows 2000 now and later I change to Windows XP.
> Matrox Millennium P750 looks to be a good choice, or?
> I never play games but want a very fast 2D card with best picture
> quality with two DVI/VGA outputs at the same time as TV output.
> Highest picture quality, stability and speed have priority
> in this new PC.
> Are there other better 2D cards in the same price category?

Probably not.

What type of displays will you use. DVI would seem to indicate two LCDs.

Oh, I've got a good Parhelia for sale, ending soon here. Might be about
the same price as a new Millenium P750.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=5103531339&sspagename=STRK%3AMESE%3AIT&rd=1

If not, the P750 sounds like it will suit your needs nicely.

Ken <___ken3@telia.com> wrote:
> I want a new fast video card to my new PC (I build myself).
> It's a Pentium 4 Northwood 3.2 MHz with 1024 MB ECC memory
> (2x PC3200) on a ASUS P4C800-E Deluxe motherboard.
> The OS is Windows 2000 now and later I change to Windows XP.
> Matrox Millennium P750 looks to be a good choice, or?
> I never play games but want a very fast 2D card with best picture
> quality with two DVI/VGA outputs at the same time as TV output.
> Highest picture quality, stability and speed have priority
> in this new PC.
> Are there other better 2D cards in the same price category?

The P750 is an excellent card for doing 2D work with multiple monitors.

What I wonder, though, is why switch from Windows 2000 to XP? I haven't
encountered any programs yet that works under XP but not W2k, and W2k does
have less overhead and works quicker. I believe Tom's or Anandtech had a
comparison of some graphics cards with graphics software (like Photoshop)
under both W2k and XP, and XP was noticably slower.

Regards,
--
*Art

KJ

Arthur Hagen wrote:

> Ken <___ken3@telia.com> wrote:
>
>>I want a new fast video card to my new PC (I build myself).
>>It's a Pentium 4 Northwood 3.2 MHz with 1024 MB ECC memory
>>(2x PC3200) on a ASUS P4C800-E Deluxe motherboard.
>>The OS is Windows 2000 now and later I change to Windows XP.
>>Matrox Millennium P750 looks to be a good choice, or?
>>I never play games but want a very fast 2D card with best picture
>>quality with two DVI/VGA outputs at the same time as TV output.
>>Highest picture quality, stability and speed have priority
>>in this new PC.
>>Are there other better 2D cards in the same price category?
>

> The P750 is an excellent card for doing 2D work with multiple monitors.
>
> What I wonder, though, is why switch from Windows 2000 to XP? I haven't
> encountered any programs yet that works under XP but not W2k, and W2k does
> have less overhead and works quicker. I believe Tom's or Anandtech had a
> comparison of some graphics cards with graphics software (like Photoshop)
> under both W2k and XP, and XP was noticably slower.
>
> Regards,
system restore is one of the few advantages that xp exhibits over 2k

ken

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2004
Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.matrox (More info?)

On Tue, 29 Jun 2004 08:11:51 -0400, "Arthur Hagen"
<art@broomstick.com> wrote:

>> I want a new fast video card to my new PC (I build myself).
>> It's a Pentium 4 Northwood 3.2 MHz with 1024 MB ECC memory
>> (2x PC3200) on a ASUS P4C800-E Deluxe motherboard.
>> The OS is Windows 2000 now and later I change to Windows XP.
>> Matrox Millennium P750 looks to be a good choice, or?
>> I never play games but want a very fast 2D card with best picture
>> quality with two DVI/VGA outputs at the same time as TV output.
>> Highest picture quality, stability and speed have priority
>> in this new PC.
>> Are there other better 2D cards in the same price category?
>
> The P750 is an excellent card for doing 2D work with multiple monitors.

I hope so. Can't find another that looks better.

> What I wonder, though, is why switch from Windows 2000 to XP?
> I haven't encountered any programs yet that works under XP but
> not W2k, and W2k does have less overhead and works quicker.
> I believe Tom's or Anandtech had a comparison of some graphics
> cards with graphics software (like Photoshop) under both
> W2k and XP, and XP was noticably slower.

No, I don't switch to XP until I really need to. I like W2K
But in the future I think there be problem to find drivers for W2K.
I run my computers 7 years before there is time for a new.
My current one is a Pentium Pro 200 MHz with 320 MB RAM,
Supermicro motherboard from 1996 and a Matrox Millennium II 8 MB PCI.
There have been zero technical problems so far, but now I need
something faster. In fact, the only problem now is the W2K driver
for my old Matrox card, the W2K driver for this card is to slow!
When I used NT4, the graphic card has more than double speed!
Now in W2K I have to use 16 bit color to make it OK in speed.

/Ken (in Sweden)

Ken <___ken3@telia.com> wrote:

> No, I don't switch to XP until I really need to. I like W2K
> But in the future I think there be problem to find drivers for W2K.

Not really. W2k = NT5.0, while XP = NT 5.1. They both use the same driver
model, and there's almost always a combined W2k/XP driver. The only times
I've seen a difference, the drivers themselves have been indentical, while
the packaging scripts differed slightly (like providing an uninstall for XP
Home -- you don't need that with W2k, which allows you to uninstall drivers
from the device manager).

I run both W2k and XP here, and probably won't switch the W2k box to XP
until I'm forced to. :)

> I run my computers 7 years before there is time for a new.
> My current one is a Pentium Pro 200 MHz with 320 MB RAM,
> Supermicro motherboard from 1996 and a Matrox Millennium II 8 MB PCI.

Darn. Yeah, you deserve something better by now!

Regards,
--
*Art

ken

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2004
Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.matrox (More info?)

On Wed, 30 Jun 2004 19:58:53 -0400, "Arthur Hagen"
<art@broomstick.com> wrote:

>> I run my computers 7 years before there is time for a new.
>> My current one is a Pentium Pro 200 MHz with 320 MB RAM,
>> Supermicro motherboard from 1996 and a Matrox Millennium II 8 MB PCI.
>
> Darn. Yeah, you deserve something better by now!

Yes I think so. My old PCI graphic card is the big bottleneck,
and it have totally 7 ISA/PCI-cards, and the ISA/PCI buses
are a little overloaded. I hope Matrox P750 AGP are a little
faster than my old Millennium PCI card.
This old PC have been working 24/7 for nearly 7.5 years now!
but are going to continue as a server in my closet when
my new PC is up running.