Logging onto Domain goes Sooooooo SLOW

Hi,

I have just created a Domain on our server (W2003 Standard edition) and
a useraccount.
On one PC(WIN XP PRO) I created the account and when I start up the
machine. But it takes about 3-4 minutes before I can get to work.

Anybody has any idea how I can speed up the process???

Thx,

Johny

--
rtr1900
1 answer Last reply

    rtr1900 wrote:

    > Hi,
    >
    > I have just created a Domain on our server (W2003 Standard edition)
    > and a useraccount.
    > On one PC(WIN XP PRO) I created the account and when I start up the
    > machine. But it takes about 3-4 minutes before I can get to work.
    >
    > Anybody has any idea how I can speed up the process???

    Lenthy logins to a domain are usually caused by incorrectly setting up
    DNS. Here is information about that from MVP Ron Lowe:

    "XP differs from previous versions of windows in that it uses DNS as
    it's primary name resolution method for finding domain controllers:

    "If DNS is misconfigured, XP will spend a lot of time waiting for it to
    timeout before it tries using legacy NT4 sytle NetBIOS. ( Which may or
    may not work. )

    "1) Ensure that the XP clients are all configured to point to the local
    DNS server which hosts the AD domain. That will probably be the Win2k
    server itself. They should NOT be pointing to an ISP's DNS server. An
    'ipconfig /all' on the XP box should reveal ONLY the domain's DNS
    server. You should use the DHCP server to push out the local DNS server
    address.

    "2) Ensure DNS server on Win2k is configured to permit dynamic updates.

    "3) Ensure the Win2k server points to itself as a DNS server.

    "4) For external ( internet ) name resolution, specify your ISP's DNS
    server not on the clients, but in the 'forwarders' tab of the local
    Win2k DNS server.

    "On the DNS server, if you cannot access the 'Forwarders' and 'Root
    Hints' tabs because they are greyed out, that is because there is a
    root zone (".") present on the DNS server. You MUST delete this root
    zone to permit the server to forward unresolved queries to yout ISP or
    the root servers. Accept any nags etc, and let it delete any
    corresponding reverse lookup zones if it asks."

    How Domain Controllers Are Located in Windows XP -
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;314861
    Setting Up the Domain Name System for Active Directory -
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;237675
    HOW TO: Configure DNS for Internet Access in Windows 2000 -
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;300202
    DNS and AD FAQs - http://support.microsoft.com/?id=291382

    Malke
    --