Better than a G550

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.matrox (More info?)

I am looking to improve video playback quality.

Currently I am using an FX5200, but I have a G550 and Radeon 9800 Pro not
being used (long story).

Is the G550 likely to be better than the FX5200?

Would the 9800 Pro be better than the G550?

Would a P650 be better than the above?

Any views/comments?
--
Doug Ramage

[watch spam trap]

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.matrox (More info?)

My experience with the ATI 8500 series and Nvidia Ti 4200 is that the Matrox
will have superior TV out quality. The ATI has very poor resolution and the
Nvidia was a little better but neither was as good as the G450 that I
currently use. I believe that Matrox knows how to "do" video and ATI surely
does not. I will be measuring the performance of my FX5600 Ultra for TV out
quality soon, no more ATI stuff for me. I measured the TV out using TV test
signals recorded on a DVD test disk and a Tektronix TV Waveform monitor.

Mike T

"Doug Ramage" <RamageXX@ukacccountant.net> wrote in message
> I am looking to improve video playback quality.
>
> Currently I am using an FX5200, but I have a G550 and Radeon 9800 Pro not
> being used (long story).
>
> Is the G550 likely to be better than the FX5200?
>
> Would the 9800 Pro be better than the G550?
>
> Would a P650 be better than the above?
>
> Any views/comments?
> --
> Doug Ramage
>
> [watch spam trap]

Rick

Distinguished
Oct 14, 2003
Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.matrox (More info?)

If 3D speed isn't an issue and video playback quality is your primary
concern, find a Matrox G400 Max and scrap everything else. Matrox
switched certain components to an integrated design in later models in
order to reduce costs, and while video quality is still good, later models
don't have the same jump-off-the-screen-and-down-your-throat quality
as the G400 Max.

Rick

In message <2lljq5Fe1b0cU1@uni-berlin.de>, Rick <me@privacy.net> writes

>If 3D speed isn't an issue and video playback quality is your primary
>concern, find a Matrox G400 Max and scrap everything else.

And any ideas for a newer 4/8x AGP board?

The earlier G400 series needs a pin (R68) shorted I believe to give 4x
AGP ?
--
David

Rick

Distinguished
Oct 14, 2003

"David Livingstone" <number11@airds.co.uk> wrote in message news:HdQVaHF1Bd9AFwjj@airds.nildram.co.uk...
> In message <2lljq5Fe1b0cU1@uni-berlin.de>, Rick <me@privacy.net> writes
>
> >If 3D speed isn't an issue and video playback quality is your primary
> >concern, find a Matrox G400 Max and scrap everything else.
>

> And any ideas for a newer 4/8x AGP board?

With the same video out quality? No.

> The earlier G400 series needs a pin (R68) shorted I believe to give 4x
> AGP ?

Yes.

Rick

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.matrox (More info?)

Thanks, Rick.

Is there more than one version of the G400 Max?
--
Doug Ramage

[watch spam trap]

"Rick" <me@privacy.net> wrote in message
> If 3D speed isn't an issue and video playback quality is your primary
> concern, find a Matrox G400 Max and scrap everything else. Matrox
> switched certain components to an integrated design in later models in
> order to reduce costs, and while video quality is still good, later models
> don't have the same jump-off-the-screen-and-down-your-throat quality
> as the G400 Max.
>
> Rick
>
> "Mike T" <mtallent@u$-i$p.net> wrote in message
> > My experience with the ATI 8500 series and Nvidia Ti 4200 is that the
Matrox
> > will have superior TV out quality. The ATI has very poor resolution and
the
> > Nvidia was a little better but neither was as good as the G450 that I
> > currently use. I believe that Matrox knows how to "do" video and ATI
surely
> > does not. I will be measuring the performance of my FX5600 Ultra for TV
out
> > quality soon, no more ATI stuff for me. I measured the TV out using TV
test
> > signals recorded on a DVD test disk and a Tektronix TV Waveform monitor.
> >
> > Mike T
> >
> > "Doug Ramage" <RamageXX@ukacccountant.net> wrote in message
> > > I am looking to improve video playback quality.
> > >
> > > Currently I am using an FX5200, but I have a G550 and Radeon 9800 Pro
not
> > > being used (long story).
> > >
> > > Is the G550 likely to be better than the FX5200?
> > >
> > > Would the 9800 Pro be better than the G550?
> > >
> > > Would a P650 be better than the above?
> > >
> > > Any views/comments?
> > > --
> > > Doug Ramage
> > >
> > > [watch spam trap]

Rick

Distinguished
Oct 14, 2003
Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.matrox (More info?)

There was more than one version of the G400. If I remember
correctly there was only one version of the G400 Max.

If it's AGP4X compatibility you're concerned about, check the
part number and look for a "4A", e.g. G4+MDH4A32GB.

Rick

"Rick" <me@privacy.net> wrote
> > > find a Matrox G400 Max and scrap everything else.

If a G400 Max can't be found, which one would you suggest
between the G550 and the P650, as asked by the original poster ?
Can you tell any performance difference of these two in TV-out,
or in image detail ?

I've read about compatibility problems between ASUS motherboards and the
P650, would I be safer by sticking to the older G550 ?
Do Abit motherboards work well with it ?

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.matrox (More info?)

Rick, my research seems to confirm your recollection that there is only a
single version of the G400 Max. But all G400s appear to be AGP 2x and 4x
compatible - although this may mean just the later ones?
--

> There was more than one version of the G400. If I remember
> correctly there was only one version of the G400 Max.
>
> If it's AGP4X compatibility you're concerned about, check the
> part number and look for a "4A", e.g. G4+MDH4A32GB.
>
> Rick
>
> "Doug Ramage" <RamageXX@ukacccountant.net> wrote in message
> > Thanks, Rick.
> >
> > Is there more than one version of the G400 Max?
> > --
> > Doug Ramage
> >
> > [watch spam trap]
> >
> > "Rick" <me@privacy.net> wrote in message
> > > If 3D speed isn't an issue and video playback quality is your primary
> > > concern, find a Matrox G400 Max and scrap everything else. Matrox
> > > switched certain components to an integrated design in later models in
> > > order to reduce costs, and while video quality is still good, later
models
> > > don't have the same jump-off-the-screen-and-down-your-throat quality
> > > as the G400 Max.
> > >
> > > Rick
> > >
> > > "Mike T" <mtallent@u$-i$p.net> wrote in message
> > Matrox
> > the
ATI
> > surely
> > out
TV
> > test

Pro
> > not

Rick

Distinguished
Oct 14, 2003
Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.matrox (More info?)

All G400's can work at either AGP2X (3.3v) or AGP4X (1.5v)
signaling. But Matrox had a hardware error in the original G400's
which prevented them from autoswitching to 1.5v. Shorting free
resistor slot R68 on the board was the workaround for the problem.
Matrox incorporated the fix in later revisions of the card and
eventually added a "4A" to the part number to denote full AGP4X
compatibility.

Rick

Rick, thanks again for the info.
--

> All G400's can work at either AGP2X (3.3v) or AGP4X (1.5v)
> signaling. But Matrox had a hardware error in the original G400's
> which prevented them from autoswitching to 1.5v. Shorting free
> resistor slot R68 on the board was the workaround for the problem.
> Matrox incorporated the fix in later revisions of the card and
> eventually added a "4A" to the part number to denote full AGP4X
> compatibility.
>
> Rick
>
> "Doug Ramage" <RamageXX@ukacccountant.net> wrote in message
> > Rick, my research seems to confirm your recollection that there is only
> > single version of the G400 Max. But all G400s appear to be AGP 2x and
4x
> > compatible - although this may mean just the later ones?
> > --
> > Doug Ramage
> >
> > [watch spam trap]
> >
> > "Rick" <me@privacy.net> wrote in message
> > > There was more than one version of the G400. If I remember
> > > correctly there was only one version of the G400 Max.
> > >
> > > If it's AGP4X compatibility you're concerned about, check the
> > > part number and look for a "4A", e.g. G4+MDH4A32GB.
> > >
> > > Rick
> > >
> > > "Doug Ramage" <RamageXX@ukacccountant.net> wrote in message

> > models

> > the
> > and
> > ATI
Ultra
> > for TV
> > TV
> > monitor.

> > Pro

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.matrox (More info?)

Does the G400 Max work OK in Windows XP Pro?
--
Doug Ramage

[watch spam trap]

"Rick" <me@privacy.net> wrote in message
> If 3D speed isn't an issue and video playback quality is your primary
> concern, find a Matrox G400 Max and scrap everything else. Matrox
> switched certain components to an integrated design in later models in
> order to reduce costs, and while video quality is still good, later models
> don't have the same jump-off-the-screen-and-down-your-throat quality
> as the G400 Max.
>
> Rick
>
> "Mike T" <mtallent@u$-i$p.net> wrote in message
> > My experience with the ATI 8500 series and Nvidia Ti 4200 is that the
Matrox
> > will have superior TV out quality. The ATI has very poor resolution and
the
> > Nvidia was a little better but neither was as good as the G450 that I
> > currently use. I believe that Matrox knows how to "do" video and ATI
surely
> > does not. I will be measuring the performance of my FX5600 Ultra for TV
out
> > quality soon, no more ATI stuff for me. I measured the TV out using TV
test
> > signals recorded on a DVD test disk and a Tektronix TV Waveform monitor.
> >
> > Mike T
> >
> > "Doug Ramage" <RamageXX@ukacccountant.net> wrote in message
> > > I am looking to improve video playback quality.
> > >
> > > Currently I am using an FX5200, but I have a G550 and Radeon 9800 Pro
not
> > > being used (long story).
> > >
> > > Is the G550 likely to be better than the FX5200?
> > >
> > > Would the 9800 Pro be better than the G550?
> > >
> > > Would a P650 be better than the above?
> > >
> > > Any views/comments?
> > > --
> > > Doug Ramage
> > >
> > > [watch spam trap]

Rick

Distinguished
Oct 14, 2003

> "Doug Ramage" <RamageXX@ukacccountant.net> wrote in message
> > Does the G400 Max work OK in Windows XP Pro?
>
> Yes.
>
> Rick

Thanks, Rick.

Also, it seems that the G400 Max is analogue? Will this mean poorer quality
on a TFT monitor compared to the dvi-digital of the G550/P650?
--
Doug Ramage

[watch spam trap]

Rick

Distinguished
Oct 14, 2003

"Doug Ramage" <RamageXX@ukacccountant.net> wrote in message news:2lpekpFfh9nlU1@uni-berlin.de...

> "Rick" <me@privacy.net> wrote in message
> > "Doug Ramage" <RamageXX@ukacccountant.net> wrote in message
> > > Does the G400 Max work OK in Windows XP Pro?
> >
> > Yes.
> >
> > Rick
> >

> Thanks, Rick.
>
> Also, it seems that the G400 Max is analogue? Will this mean poorer quality
> on a TFT monitor compared to the dvi-digital of the G550/P650?

Most probably, but if you're planning to use a TFT for DVD
output (or 3D gaming), be sure to get one with a fast response
time. Otherwise you'll likely run into ghosting problems.

Rick

> "Doug Ramage" <RamageXX@ukacccountant.net> wrote in message
> >
> > "Rick" <me@privacy.net> wrote in message
> > > "Doug Ramage" <RamageXX@ukacccountant.net> wrote in message
> > >
> > > Yes.
> > >
> > > Rick
> > >

> > Thanks, Rick.
> >
> > Also, it seems that the G400 Max is analogue? Will this mean poorer
quality
> > on a TFT monitor compared to the dvi-digital of the G550/P650?
>
> Most probably, but if you're planning to use a TFT for DVD
> output (or 3D gaming), be sure to get one with a fast response
> time. Otherwise you'll likely run into ghosting problems.
>
> Rick

It's never simple, is it. :(

I have a 19" TFT which I bought partly to watch dvd and digital TV (no
gaming). The response time is 25ms. Could this response time be the cause
(or part of it) for poor playback at full screen?

I have just acquired a Matrox G400-TV for analogue viewing & recording. I
don't know what it's like, as it only arrived a few minutes ago. :)
--
Doug Ramage

[watch spam trap]

Rick

Distinguished
Oct 14, 2003

"Doug Ramage" <RamageXX@ukacccountant.net> wrote in message news:2lpm0fFfblk3U1@uni-berlin.de...

> "Rick" <me@privacy.net> wrote in message
> > "Doug Ramage" <RamageXX@ukacccountant.net> wrote in message
> > >
> > > "Rick" <me@privacy.net> wrote in message

> > > Thanks, Rick.
> > >
> > > Also, it seems that the G400 Max is analogue? Will this mean poorer
> quality
> > > on a TFT monitor compared to the dvi-digital of the G550/P650?
> >
> > Most probably, but if you're planning to use a TFT for DVD
> > output (or 3D gaming), be sure to get one with a fast response
> > time. Otherwise you'll likely run into ghosting problems.
>
> It's never simple, is it. :(
>
> I have a 19" TFT which I bought partly to watch dvd and digital TV (no
> gaming). The response time is 25ms. Could this response time be the cause
> (or part of it) for poor playback at full screen?

Depends what you mean by 'poor playback'. If you're seeing
ghosting (images blurring into one another during fast motion
scenes), then yes, slow response time is the cause. 25ms isn't
bad but there are faster TFTs out now, 16ms, 12, 10ms etc.

> I have just acquired a Matrox G400-TV for analogue viewing & recording. I
> don't know what it's like, as it only arrived a few minutes ago. :)

Post back and let us know.

Rick

> "Doug Ramage" <RamageXX@ukacccountant.net> wrote in message
> >
> > "Rick" <me@privacy.net> wrote in message
> > > "Doug Ramage" <RamageXX@ukacccountant.net> wrote in message

<snip?

> > I have just acquired a Matrox G400-TV for analogue viewing & recording.
> > don't know what it's like, as it only arrived a few minutes ago. :)
>
> Post back and let us know.
>
> Rick

Will do.
--