'How'?-THREE Monitors in 'Independent Mode'-P750????

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.matrox (More info?)

I'm current running TWO 19" analog monitors @ 1600x1200 (each), 32 Bit
Color in 'INDEPENDENT' mode.

I would LIKE to consider adding a THIRD 19 incher BUT using only the
capabilities of the P750, I can only do so IF I 'drop down' to
(something like - it was quite awhile ago that I did the experiment)
3840x1024 - a 'STRETCHED' mode which I don't like much. I don't get
any more (for all intents and purposes) 'pixels' to display more info;
everything simply gets larger. ALSO I really don't like having my
TaskBar stretched across the three monitors and it also complicates
the use of Wallpapers....

Anyway - bottom line: I would like to run ALL the monitors in 1600 x
1200 'INDEPENDENT' mode and, since I cannot do that with only the
capabilities of the P750 card, I was wondering if I could add a SECOND
(PCI) Video Card (of suitable make and capabilites) and achieve my
goal????

Could I do so and get three moniors running 1600x1200 in Independent
Mode????

If so, would I see any 'Complication' in terms of CONFIGURING them the
way I want???

Would Matrox's Software (PowerDesk???) handle it OR would I have to
do/congigure the third monitor 'seperately'. (Or would it even be
possible...???)

Finally, if it DOES seem feasible (anyone out there actually DOING the
above???), could anyone recommend an suitable make/model of video
card???

TIA!
18 answers Last reply
More about three monitors independent mode p750
  1. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.matrox (More info?)

    "HammerToe" <HammerToe@online.com> wrote in message news:ue73g0pk2qjv7irfd8cqq3as6la59v3l08@4ax.com...
    > I'm current running TWO 19" analog monitors @ 1600x1200 (each), 32 Bit
    > Color in 'INDEPENDENT' mode.
    >
    > I would LIKE to consider adding a THIRD 19 incher BUT using only the
    > capabilities of the P750, I can only do so IF I 'drop down' to
    > (something like - it was quite awhile ago that I did the experiment)
    > 3840x1024 - a 'STRETCHED' mode which I don't like much. I don't get
    > any more (for all intents and purposes) 'pixels' to display more info;
    > everything simply gets larger. ALSO I really don't like having my
    > TaskBar stretched across the three monitors and it also complicates
    > the use of Wallpapers....
    >
    > Anyway - bottom line: I would like to run ALL the monitors in 1600 x
    > 1200 'INDEPENDENT' mode and, since I cannot do that with only the
    > capabilities of the P750 card, I was wondering if I could add a SECOND
    > (PCI) Video Card (of suitable make and capabilites) and achieve my
    > goal????

    No, at least not in Windows 2000/XP. Windows does support
    multiple video controllers, but not at the same time. One can
    switch between the controllers and use them one at a time.

    Rick
  2. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.matrox (More info?)

    Rick wrote:

    > "HammerToe" <HammerToe@online.com> wrote in message
    >> I'm current running TWO 19" analog monitors @ 1600x1200 (each), 32 Bit
    >> Color in 'INDEPENDENT' mode.
    >>
    >> I would LIKE to consider adding a THIRD 19 incher BUT using only the
    >> capabilities of the P750, I can only do so IF I 'drop down' to
    >> (something like - it was quite awhile ago that I did the experiment)
    >> 3840x1024 - a 'STRETCHED' mode which I don't like much. I don't get
    >> any more (for all intents and purposes) 'pixels' to display more info;
    >> everything simply gets larger. ALSO I really don't like having my
    >> TaskBar stretched across the three monitors and it also complicates
    >> the use of Wallpapers....
    >>
    >> Anyway - bottom line: I would like to run ALL the monitors in 1600 x
    >> 1200 'INDEPENDENT' mode and, since I cannot do that with only the
    >> capabilities of the P750 card, I was wondering if I could add a SECOND
    >> (PCI) Video Card (of suitable make and capabilites) and achieve my
    >> goal????
    >
    > No, at least not in Windows 2000/XP. Windows does support
    > multiple video controllers, but not at the same time. One can
    > switch between the controllers and use them one at a time.

    When was that support removed?

    --
    --John
    (was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)

    "J. Clarke" <jclarke@nospam.invalid> wrote in message news:cdsokh02kmj@news2.newsguy.com...
    > Rick wrote:
    >
    > > "HammerToe" <HammerToe@online.com> wrote in message
    > >> I'm current running TWO 19" analog monitors @ 1600x1200 (each), 32 Bit
    > >> Color in 'INDEPENDENT' mode.
    > >>
    > >> I would LIKE to consider adding a THIRD 19 incher BUT using only the
    > >> capabilities of the P750, I can only do so IF I 'drop down' to
    > >> (something like - it was quite awhile ago that I did the experiment)
    > >> 3840x1024 - a 'STRETCHED' mode which I don't like much. I don't get
    > >> any more (for all intents and purposes) 'pixels' to display more info;
    > >> everything simply gets larger. ALSO I really don't like having my
    > >> TaskBar stretched across the three monitors and it also complicates
    > >> the use of Wallpapers....
    > >>
    > >> Anyway - bottom line: I would like to run ALL the monitors in 1600 x
    > >> 1200 'INDEPENDENT' mode and, since I cannot do that with only the
    > >> capabilities of the P750 card, I was wondering if I could add a SECOND
    > >> (PCI) Video Card (of suitable make and capabilites) and achieve my
    > >> goal????
    > >
    > > No, at least not in Windows 2000/XP. Windows does support
    > > multiple video controllers, but not at the same time. One can
    > > switch between the controllers and use them one at a time.
    >
    > When was that support removed?

    That support was never there in the first place. Only one video
    controller can be set as primary at a time -- simultaneous triple
    (or whatever) monitor support has to come from the primary
    controller's driver. You can't divide it up among multiple
    adapters.

    Rick
  4. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.matrox (More info?)

    Rick wrote:

    > "J. Clarke" <jclarke@nospam.invalid> wrote in message
    >> Rick wrote:
    >>
    >> > "HammerToe" <HammerToe@online.com> wrote in message

    >> > No, at least not in Windows 2000/XP. Windows does support
    >> > multiple video controllers, but not at the same time. One can
    >> > switch between the controllers and use them one at a time.
    >>
    >> When was that support removed?
    >
    > That support was never there in the first place. Only one video
    > controller can be set as primary at a time -- simultaneous triple
    > (or whatever) monitor support has to come from the primary
    > controller's driver. You can't divide it up among multiple
    > adapters.

    I see. Someone needs to tell my copy of XP as it is going along blissfully
    unaware of this limitation.

    The ability to extend the desktop across up to ten monitors connected to as
    many video boards as necessary to attach them is a documented feature of
    Windows 2000 and XP. Only one of those monitors (not adapters--even if the
    adapter has connections for many monitors only one of those monitors is
    "primary") but it is not necessary that a display adapter be set as
    "primary" in order to be used in an extended desktop.

    The video adapters do not even have to be the same brand--some users are
    running arch-rivals ATI and nvidia simultaneously.

    Perhaps you are confusing the "multiple display" capability with the
    "dualview" feature, or are thinking about the known issue involving
    television signals and the video overlay feature.

    You might want to call up the "help" in your Windows 2000 or XP system and
    search on "multiple monitor".

    If this capability does not work on your machine then you need to get
    drivers that are not broken.

    --
    --John
    (was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)
  5. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.matrox (More info?)

    "J. Clarke" <jclarke@nospam.invalid> wrote in message news:cdtbv20hln@news3.newsguy.com...
    > Rick wrote:
    >
    > > "J. Clarke" <jclarke@nospam.invalid> wrote in message

    > >> When was that support removed?
    > >
    > > That support was never there in the first place. Only one video
    > > controller can be set as primary at a time -- simultaneous triple
    > > (or whatever) monitor support has to come from the primary
    > > controller's driver. You can't divide it up among multiple
    > > adapters.
    >
    > I see. Someone needs to tell my copy of XP as it is going along blissfully
    > unaware of this limitation.
    >
    > The ability to extend the desktop across up to ten monitors

    Reread the OP. That's not what he wants to do.

    Rick
  6. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.matrox (More info?)

    "Rick" <me@privacy.net> wrote in message news:2mfcp2FmefakU1@uni-berlin.de...
    > "J. Clarke" <jclarke@nospam.invalid> wrote in message news:cdtbv20hln@news3.newsguy.com...
    > > Rick wrote:
    > >
    > > > "J. Clarke" <jclarke@nospam.invalid> wrote in message

    > > > That support was never there in the first place. Only one video
    > > > controller can be set as primary at a time -- simultaneous triple
    > > > (or whatever) monitor support has to come from the primary
    > > > controller's driver. You can't divide it up among multiple
    > > > adapters.
    > >
    > > I see. Someone needs to tell my copy of XP as it is going along blissfully
    > > unaware of this limitation.
    > >
    > > The ability to extend the desktop across up to ten monitors
    >
    > Reread the OP. That's not what he wants to do.

    John, I think I see why you were confused. I need to elaborate
    on my previous answer. What I'm saying is, support for
    simultaneous *independent mode* on a third monitor would
    have to come from the primary controller's driver, and as far
    as I know Matrox (or any other manufacturer) doesn't support
    this, if the third monitor is not on the primary adapter. I know
    Windows itself does not support this.

    Rick
  7. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.matrox (More info?)

    Rick wrote:

    > "Rick" <me@privacy.net> wrote in message
    >> "J. Clarke" <jclarke@nospam.invalid> wrote in message

    >> > I see. Someone needs to tell my copy of XP as it is going along
    >> > blissfully unaware of this limitation.
    >> >
    >> > The ability to extend the desktop across up to ten monitors
    >>
    >> Reread the OP. That's not what he wants to do.
    >
    > John, I think I see why you were confused. I need to elaborate
    > on my previous answer. What I'm saying is, support for
    > simultaneous *independent mode* on a third monitor would
    > have to come from the primary controller's driver, and as far
    > as I know Matrox (or any other manufacturer) doesn't support
    > this, if the third monitor is not on the primary adapter. I know
    > Windows itself does not support this.

    I'm not clear on this "independent mode". The systems that I've used either
    show the same desktop on all monitors or extend the desktop across multiple
    monitors. I've not seen a system that shows different desktops on
    different monitors, at least not under Windows.

    --
    --John
    (was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)
  8. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.matrox (More info?)

    "J. Clarke" <jclarke@nospam.invalid> wrote in message news:cdupln12ehp@news3.newsguy.com...
    > Rick wrote:
    >
    > > "Rick" <me@privacy.net> wrote in message
    > >> "J. Clarke" <jclarke@nospam.invalid> wrote in message

    > >> Reread the OP. That's not what he wants to do.
    > >
    > > John, I think I see why you were confused. I need to elaborate
    > > on my previous answer. What I'm saying is, support for
    > > simultaneous *independent mode* on a third monitor would
    > > have to come from the primary controller's driver, and as far
    > > as I know Matrox (or any other manufacturer) doesn't support
    > > this, if the third monitor is not on the primary adapter. I know
    > > Windows itself does not support this.
    >
    > I'm not clear on this "independent mode". The systems that I've used either
    > show the same desktop on all monitors or extend the desktop across multiple
    > monitors. I've not seen a system that shows different desktops on
    > different monitors, at least not under Windows.

    In independent mode each monitor is separate, it allows one
    to set an individual resolution, color depth and refresh rate on
    each. Virtual positions of apps are independent on each, e.g.
    maximizing an application on one display will make it full
    screen, on that monitor only.

    I believe with Matrox's current cards and drivers, independent
    mode is limited to two displays -- a third display must use
    stretched mode with one of the first two monitors. I could
    be wrong about this if Matrox has recently made changes.
    But in any case, adding a second adapter will not give the
    OP what he's looking for.

    Rick
  9. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.matrox (More info?)

    Rick <me@privacy.net> wrote:

    > I believe with Matrox's current cards and drivers, independent
    > mode is limited to two displays -- a third display must use
    > stretched mode with one of the first two monitors.

    It can also be used for overlay and zoom (what Matrox calls "features") with
    the first two monitors in independent mode. That's nice for gfx and video
    work.

    Regards,
    --
    *Art
  10. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.matrox (More info?)

    On Sat, 24 Jul 2004 19:15:05 -0700, "Rick" <me@privacy.net> wrote:

    >"J. Clarke" <jclarke@nospam.invalid> wrote in message news:cdupln12ehp@news3.newsguy.com...
    >> Rick wrote:
    >>
    >> > "Rick" <me@privacy.net> wrote in message

    >> > John, I think I see why you were confused. I need to elaborate
    >> > on my previous answer. What I'm saying is, support for
    >> > simultaneous *independent mode* on a third monitor would
    >> > have to come from the primary controller's driver, and as far
    >> > as I know Matrox (or any other manufacturer) doesn't support
    >> > this, if the third monitor is not on the primary adapter. I know
    >> > Windows itself does not support this.
    >>
    >> I'm not clear on this "independent mode". The systems that I've used either
    >> show the same desktop on all monitors or extend the desktop across multiple
    >> monitors. I've not seen a system that shows different desktops on
    >> different monitors, at least not under Windows.
    >
    >In independent mode each monitor is separate, it allows one
    >to set an individual resolution, color depth and refresh rate on
    >each. Virtual positions of apps are independent on each, e.g.
    >maximizing an application on one display will make it full
    >screen, on that monitor only.
    >
    >I believe with Matrox's current cards and drivers, independent
    >mode is limited to two displays -- a third display must use
    >stretched mode with one of the first two monitors. I could
    >be wrong about this if Matrox has recently made changes.
    >But in any case, adding a second adapter will not give the
    >OP what he's looking for.
    >
    >Rick

    Wow! I didn't know my questions would generate so much discussion.

    You guys seem/probably know much more about this but, if I understand
    correctly, I might attempt to summarize the situation/concensus as
    follows:

    1. Based on my expereince (I did a test with 3-19" monitors once upon
    a time):

    a) In Independent mode: I can run 1600x1200 on each monitor AND my
    Taskbar in constrained to the bottom of Monitor 1. Also, Wallpaper
    acts as you might expect (and wish): EACH display show the entire WP
    'Full Screen'.

    b) When I did my 3 monitor test (and using ONLY the P750), the
    following happened:

    i. I had to drop the resolution to 1280x1024 on each (of the three)
    monitor(s). This meant that I was gaining essentially NOTHING in terms
    of the ability to display more info - 3,932,160 Total Pixels @
    1280x1024x3 vs 3,840,000 Total Pixels @ 1600x1200x2. Everything was
    just 'larger'...

    ii. I had to run give up Independent mode and run 'Stretch Mode'. This
    mean that my Taskbar stretched ACROSS the bottom of ALL three monitors
    and I found this most annoying (having to SCAN all three to (eg.) find
    an app that I might want to 'Maximize'.

    iii. My (1600x1200) WP would STRETCH across the three as well and look
    (as you would expect) wierd.

    2. NOW Points ii. and iii. (above) I think I could work around and/or
    learn to live with by (eg.) docking my Taskbar to the Left Side of my
    screen AND, the case of WP, 'making' it into exactly the size needed
    (eg. 1280x1024) and avoidinthe us of the WALLPAPER 'stretch' option
    and using 'Tile' instead of (WP) 'Stretch.'

    However (I had to ask myself) :Why Bother????

    What was I gaining? I wanted MORE displayable Total Pixels, and I
    wasn't gaining (essentially) any...

    Recently however, I started to consider the possibility of trying to
    add a third 19 incher driven off a second (PCI) video card and the
    whole issue of 'possibilities' and potential problems (HW and SW)
    arose again.

    My own 'gut feel' was that 'Matrox' (software-drivers+Powerdesk) would
    not be of any help here BUT my thought/hope was that they wouldn't be
    a hinderance. I 'kinda suspected' that I WOULD (VERY LIKELY) have to
    revert to (a) 'Stretched Mode' BUT I thought that MAYBE under these
    conditions I could let the P750 handle two monitors @ 1600x1200 IN
    STRETCHED MODE and the PCI card handle the third, also at 1600x1200.

    'Now' I thought (if it worked), I could use my workarounds for the
    Taskbar and WP Isssues (an annoyance) BUT... at LEAST I would gain
    More Displayable Pixels (up to 5,760,000) and maybe that would make it
    worthwhile.

    Based on what you guys have seemed to conclude, the above MAY still be
    POSSIBLE.....

    Would that be a correct (assumed) conclusion???

    I think, in the end, I may just have to try it...

    I MAY may an Old PCI video card around that I would try and, if it
    works and I find the results satisfactory, I may go out and but a
    'better'/more modern one, PERHAPS even one with a TV Tuner and MAYBE
    then I could even watch TV in a small windows on the monitor driven by
    the PCI card.... (Though my 'gut' tells me that that might require
    that I make the PCI driven monior #1 and I would really want the TV on
    #3 on my far right BUT... Oh well, I could live without the 'TV'...

    If I could (somehow) get to ***1600x1200x3*** even in (a) 'Streched
    Mode', I think I could (learn to) live with it... (the Taskbar and WP
    irritations...

    Thanks for the feedback. If I get around to trying it (and I WILL most
    likely) in the near future, I'll let you know the results...
  11. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.matrox (More info?)

    "HammerToe" <HammerToe@online.com> wrote in message news:mtf7g09pt66bskmmpd4fumumqh95sdqn1v@4ax.com...
    <..>
    > Recently however, I started to consider the possibility of trying to
    > add a third 19 incher driven off a second (PCI) video card and the
    > whole issue of 'possibilities' and potential problems (HW and SW)
    > arose again.
    >
    > My own 'gut feel' was that 'Matrox' (software-drivers+Powerdesk) would
    > not be of any help here BUT my thought/hope was that they wouldn't be
    > a hinderance. I 'kinda suspected' that I WOULD (VERY LIKELY) have to
    > revert to (a) 'Stretched Mode' BUT I thought that MAYBE under these
    > conditions I could let the P750 handle two monitors @ 1600x1200 IN
    > STRETCHED MODE and the PCI card handle the third, also at 1600x1200.

    That's what I was trying to explain earlier. Support for what
    you're trying to do has to come from the driver for the primary
    controller. Neither Windows itself nor Matrox's driver would
    allow you to do this.

    This may change in the future, with the advent of PCI-X. But
    in the meantime adding another adapter will not give you
    1600x1200 on the third monitor, in any mode, since it is not
    supported either by Windows or by the primary controller driver.

    Rick
  12. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.matrox (More info?)

    Rick wrote:

    > "HammerToe" <HammerToe@online.com> wrote in message
    > news:mtf7g09pt66bskmmpd4fumumqh95sdqn1v@4ax.com... <..>
    >> Recently however, I started to consider the possibility of trying to
    >> add a third 19 incher driven off a second (PCI) video card and the
    >> whole issue of 'possibilities' and potential problems (HW and SW)
    >> arose again.
    >>
    >> My own 'gut feel' was that 'Matrox' (software-drivers+Powerdesk) would
    >> not be of any help here BUT my thought/hope was that they wouldn't be
    >> a hinderance. I 'kinda suspected' that I WOULD (VERY LIKELY) have to
    >> revert to (a) 'Stretched Mode' BUT I thought that MAYBE under these
    >> conditions I could let the P750 handle two monitors @ 1600x1200 IN
    >> STRETCHED MODE and the PCI card handle the third, also at 1600x1200.
    >
    > That's what I was trying to explain earlier. Support for what
    > you're trying to do has to come from the driver for the primary
    > controller. Neither Windows itself nor Matrox's driver would
    > allow you to do this.
    >
    > This may change in the future, with the advent of PCI-X. But
    > in the meantime adding another adapter will not give you
    > 1600x1200 on the third monitor, in any mode, since it is not
    > supported either by Windows or by the primary controller driver.

    Picking a minor nit, that's PCI Express, or PCI-E. The reason I bring this
    up is that there is also a PCI-X standard that is different from PCI
    Express. PCI Express is the one that is being pushed as the AGP
    replacement. Personally I'm of the opinion that it's mainly a marketing
    gimmick but it may catch on.

    --
    --John
    (was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)
  13. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.matrox (More info?)

    HammerToe <HammerToe@online.com> wrote:

    >I'm current running TWO 19" analog monitors @ 1600x1200 (each), 32 Bit
    >Color in 'INDEPENDENT' mode.
    >
    >I would LIKE to consider adding a THIRD 19 incher BUT using only the
    >capabilities of the P750, I can only do so IF I 'drop down' to
    >(something like - it was quite awhile ago that I did the experiment)
    >3840x1024 - a 'STRETCHED' mode which I don't like much. I don't get
    >any more (for all intents and purposes) 'pixels' to display more info;
    >everything simply gets larger. ALSO I really don't like having my
    >TaskBar stretched across the three monitors and it also complicates
    >the use of Wallpapers....

    The best place I have found for information
    http://www.realtimesoft.com/multimon/

    I have in the past run up to 4 separate Video Cards in one system with for
    example a Matrox G400MAX in the AGP slot, a G400 PCI Dual Head and a Matrox
    G200 PCI.

    This gave me a total of 5 screen all with independent control of the colour
    depth, resolution and size.

    I am only up to a P650 so cannot help you for certain with the P750 apart
    from the fact that the 3rd screen is in stretched mode according to the web
    site.

    I would suggest getting a Matrox PCI card 2nd hand plug it in and get a 3rd
    or 4th screen up and running. One potential problem is some Motherboards
    may have problems with this but the risk is not high.

    I am back to 2 screens at the moment as I have change to LCD screens and
    these (20") are a little expensive for me to get 5 at once. :-)

    Hope this lot helps

    Andy
  14. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.matrox (More info?)

    On Mon, 26 Jul 2004 15:59:45 +0200, "Andy@nospam.co.uk"
    <me@privacy.net> wrote:

    >HammerToe <HammerToe@online.com> wrote:
    >
    >>I'm current running TWO 19" analog monitors @ 1600x1200 (each), 32 Bit
    >>Color in 'INDEPENDENT' mode.
    >>
    >>I would LIKE to consider adding a THIRD 19 incher BUT using only the
    >>capabilities of the P750, I can only do so IF I 'drop down' to
    >>(something like - it was quite awhile ago that I did the experiment)
    >>3840x1024 - a 'STRETCHED' mode which I don't like much. I don't get
    >>any more (for all intents and purposes) 'pixels' to display more info;
    >>everything simply gets larger. ALSO I really don't like having my
    >>TaskBar stretched across the three monitors and it also complicates
    >>the use of Wallpapers....
    >>

    >The best place I have found for information
    >http://www.realtimesoft.com/multimon/
    >
    >I have in the past run up to 4 separate Video Cards in one system with for
    >example a Matrox G400MAX in the AGP slot, a G400 PCI Dual Head and a Matrox
    >G200 PCI.
    >
    >This gave me a total of 5 screen all with independent control of the colour
    >depth, resolution and size.
    >
    >I am only up to a P650 so cannot help you for certain with the P750 apart
    >from the fact that the 3rd screen is in stretched mode according to the web
    >site.
    >
    >I would suggest getting a Matrox PCI card 2nd hand plug it in and get a 3rd
    >or 4th screen up and running. One potential problem is some Motherboards
    >may have problems with this but the risk is not high.
    >
    >I am back to 2 screens at the moment as I have change to LCD screens and
    >these (20") are a little expensive for me to get 5 at once. :-)
    >
    >Hope this lot helps
    >
    >Andy

    Hmmm. This is kind of interesting...

    In the end, I thought the only way to find out for sure was to TRY
    something so... I 'scouted around' in my Olde Parts bin and discovered
    that I had a PCI Video card around - an old ATI All-In-Wonder Pro
    based upon ATI's 'Rage Pro' chipset. The card only has 8MB of memory
    on it but that is enough to give me 24bit color at 1600x1200. So, I
    thought I'd give it a whirl...

    I installed the card and attached a 3rd 19" monitor to it. I then had
    to diddle a bit in the BIOS to init the ATI (PCI) Card first (the
    setting had been AGP card first; seem to recall ready that it/ATI
    'insists' that it be this way and booted a couple of times...

    Windows XP discovered AND installed all the necessary drivers - not
    just the normal video display drivers but ALSO drivers for the TV
    tuner, a Video-Audio Crossbar driver and a couple of WDM drivers. I
    should have checked before I did the install to see EXACTLY what it
    might have added BUT the bottom line is that as far as I can tell (and
    according to windows), there are no read x's or yellow !'s and
    everything is functioning normally!!!

    And, bottom line: EVERYTHING (so far, anyway) seems to be working
    EXACTLY as I had hoped!

    Pre the ATI PCI card installation. the two monitors driven by the P750
    were running at 1600x1200 in Independent Mode, and I did not have to
    do ANTHING with respect to the P750/PowerDesk and/or ITS monitors to
    get the third one going. I left all the settings EXACTLY as they were.

    ***ALL*** I had to do was go into Display Properties->Settings ,
    select Monitor 1 (the new Monitor hosted by the ATI card; now number 1
    since the PCI card inits first) and 'turn on' 'Extend my Windows
    Desktop onto this monitor' and VOILA!, it (the new monitor) 'came
    up'/turned on.

    The bottom line is that the new 3 monitor configuration is now runnig
    as folows:

    Monitor 1 (RHS, ATI card): 1600x1200 in 24 bit color @ 76Hz.
    Monitor 2 (LHS, MM P750): 1600x1200 in 32 bit color @ 70Hz.
    Monitor 3 (Center, MM P750): 1600x1200 in 32 bit color @ 70Hz.

    Again, I didn't have to 'touch' the 750/its monitors/change anything
    in Powerdesk AT ALL!!!!

    ***AND*** - the BEST part: I basically HAVE exactly what I wanted:
    "INDEPENDENT MODE' across the three monitors:

    a) My Taskbar is *still constrained to appareaing on a single monitor*
    - Monitor #2, where it was 'originally' pre any of this tinkering,
    AND

    b) The 'standard' 1600x1200 wallpaper I was using also pre any of this
    DISPLAYS CORRECTLY - each physical monitor showing it 'independently',
    in full/undistorted...

    The only wierd thing I've noticed so far (completely liveable, and I
    think I may be able to tune/reconfigure it out) is that the PCI
    card/monitor 'comes up first' at boot time and you must 'log in
    on/thru IT' and then the Taskbar appears on #2 as described above.
    Again, I think I can tune this out by specifying #1 as my Primary
    Monitor in Display Properties and physically reorganizing the montor
    so that it becomes the left-most one on my desktop (later test) but
    even as things stand, I can live with things the way they are.

    So, Bottom Line:looks like I've got essentially EXACTLY what I wanted:
    3-19 inchers running at 1600x1200 in 'Independent Mode' (to use
    Matrox's terminology) WITH my Taskbar and Wallpaper operating EXACTLY
    as I would like.

    I've got a bit more Tinkering to do... The next thing I want to try is
    to install the corresponding ATI Multimedia Center software, connect
    up a TV cable and see how the ATI TV works under XP/in this
    configuration. My 'gut' teels me that I may have to leave the new
    monitor as #1 and 'on my right' and live with logging in through IT
    because I have this feeling that the TV won't display (for what seem
    to be pretty obvious reasons) on Monitors 2 or 3 and I WANT the TV
    picture on my right-most physical monitor ANYWAY.

    Anyway, will post an update when I get complete my
    experimentation/final setup.
  15. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.matrox (More info?)

    "HammerToe" <HammerToe@online.com> wrote in message news:39nbg0d2lae5mp422bmm3eet5hpqng4j9s@4ax.com...
    > ***AND*** - the BEST part: I basically HAVE exactly what I wanted:
    > "INDEPENDENT MODE' across the three monitors:
    >
    > a) My Taskbar is *still constrained to appareaing on a single monitor*
    > - Monitor #2, where it was 'originally' pre any of this tinkering,
    > AND
    >
    > b) The 'standard' 1600x1200 wallpaper I was using also pre any of this
    > DISPLAYS CORRECTLY - each physical monitor showing it 'independently',
    > in full/undistorted...

    So if you maximize an app running on each monitor, it fills
    the screen on only that monitor? Try it one at a time on
    all three.

    Rick
  16. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.matrox (More info?)

    "Rick" <me@privacy.net> wrote:

    >"HammerToe" <HammerToe@online.com> wrote in message news:39nbg0d2lae5mp422bmm3eet5hpqng4j9s@4ax.com...
    >> ***AND*** - the BEST part: I basically HAVE exactly what I wanted:
    >> "INDEPENDENT MODE' across the three monitors:
    >>
    >> a) My Taskbar is *still constrained to appareaing on a single monitor*
    >> - Monitor #2, where it was 'originally' pre any of this tinkering,
    >> AND
    >>
    >> b) The 'standard' 1600x1200 wallpaper I was using also pre any of this
    >> DISPLAYS CORRECTLY - each physical monitor showing it 'independently',
    >> in full/undistorted...
    >
    >So if you maximize an app running on each monitor, it fills
    >the screen on only that monitor? Try it one at a time on
    >all three.
    >
    >Rick

    In the mode he is talking about yes each app would maximise to each screen.
    You can drag the app to cover more if you want. I used to like Photoshop
    with the window spread over 2 screens and email etc in the 3rd or 4th
    screens.
  17. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.matrox (More info?)

    "Andy@nospam.co.uk" <me@privacy.net> wrote in message news:d1dcg09fqfom4svbhk68v0at3jmnbv5ncc@4ax.com...
    > "Rick" <me@privacy.net> wrote:
    >
    > >"HammerToe" <HammerToe@online.com> wrote in message news:39nbg0d2lae5mp422bmm3eet5hpqng4j9s@4ax.com...
    > >> ***AND*** - the BEST part: I basically HAVE exactly what I wanted:
    > >> "INDEPENDENT MODE' across the three monitors:
    > >>
    > >> a) My Taskbar is *still constrained to appareaing on a single monitor*
    > >> - Monitor #2, where it was 'originally' pre any of this tinkering,
    > >> AND
    > >>
    > >> b) The 'standard' 1600x1200 wallpaper I was using also pre any of this
    > >> DISPLAYS CORRECTLY - each physical monitor showing it 'independently',
    > >> in full/undistorted...
    > >
    > >So if you maximize an app running on each monitor, it fills
    > >the screen on only that monitor? Try it one at a time on
    > >all three.
    > >

    > In the mode he is talking about yes each app would maximise to each screen.
    > You can drag the app to cover more if you want. I used to like Photoshop
    > with the window spread over 2 screens and email etc in the 3rd or 4th
    > screens.

    Well then I apologize for my misinformation.

    Rick
  18. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.matrox (More info?)

    On Mon, 26 Jul 2004 23:45:32 -0700, "Rick" <me@privacy.net> wrote:

    >"HammerToe" <HammerToe@online.com> wrote in message news:39nbg0d2lae5mp422bmm3eet5hpqng4j9s@4ax.com...
    >> ***AND*** - the BEST part: I basically HAVE exactly what I wanted:
    >> "INDEPENDENT MODE' across the three monitors:
    >>
    >> a) My Taskbar is *still constrained to appareaing on a single monitor*
    >> - Monitor #2, where it was 'originally' pre any of this tinkering,
    >> AND
    >>
    >> b) The 'standard' 1600x1200 wallpaper I was using also pre any of this
    >> DISPLAYS CORRECTLY - each physical monitor showing it 'independently',
    >> in full/undistorted...
    >
    >So if you maximize an app running on each monitor, it fills
    >the screen on only that monitor? Try it one at a time on
    >all three.
    >
    >Rick

    Yes. Minimize/Maximize An App operations (eg.double-click on Title
    Bar) does result in the operations being confined to a/the single
    montor that you happened to drag the window onto.

    One can, if one wishes, manually 'stretch' a single all/window across
    two or even three screens.

    All in all, pretty nuch exactly what I wanted.

    FWIW though, so far I have been completely unable to get the TV
    function on the card though. The drivers and MMC install O.K. and
    there appear to be no problems in Device Manager, etc. BUT the MMC TV
    program will hang when I try to run it...

    Oh well, no big deal. I just thought I would try to see if I could get
    it working because it 'was there', and I don't really care too much if
    it can't be made to work.

Matrox Monitors Graphics