Other Cards Matching Matrox 2D Quality?

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.matrox (More info?)

I was going to buy an ATI 9800Pro for its excellent 3D capabilities,
but am having second thoughts given a number of people have reported
its 2D quality is less than my Matrox G400Max. Any suggestions? I'm
considering the Parhelia but it's a little out of my price range,
although I'm checking on ebay for a better than retail price. Thanks.

Rick

Distinguished
Oct 14, 2003

"nubis" <nubiss@iwonnn.nett> wrote in message news:vs4og05sgvr0bf3kdaje6h25c4u0ssr2va@4ax.com...
> I was going to buy an ATI 9800Pro for its excellent 3D capabilities,
> but am having second thoughts given a number of people have reported
> its 2D quality is less than my Matrox G400Max. Any suggestions? I'm
> considering the Parhelia but it's a little out of my price range,
> although I'm checking on ebay for a better than retail price. Thanks.

If you run at resolutions below 1600x1200 I wouldn't let 2D
display quality stop me from upgrading. Chances are you
won't see much (or quite possibly any) difference at these
lower resolutions.

Rick

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.matrox (More info?)

I'm really happy with the 2D of my ATI 9600 PRO AIW
I still use my G400 in an older Win98SE system.
The G400 is about 10% better at 2D then my old Sapphire ATI 9100
I did notice that my ATI 9600 has a little bit better 2D then my old
Sapphire ATI 9100.
So you should be happy with a newer ATI card.

"nubis" <nubiss@iwonnn.nett> wrote in message
> I was going to buy an ATI 9800Pro for its excellent 3D capabilities,
> but am having second thoughts given a number of people have reported
> its 2D quality is less than my Matrox G400Max. Any suggestions? I'm
> considering the Parhelia but it's a little out of my price range,
> although I'm checking on ebay for a better than retail price. Thanks.

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.matrox (More info?)

"nubis" <nubiss@iwonnn.nett> wrote in message
> I was going to buy an ATI 9800Pro for its excellent 3D capabilities,
> but am having second thoughts given a number of people have reported
> its 2D quality is less than my Matrox G400Max. Any suggestions? I'm
> considering the Parhelia but it's a little out of my price range,
> although I'm checking on ebay for a better than retail price. Thanks.

Same here. I bought a 9800 Pro and sold it last week.

I am using a G550, but will probably go for a P650. The P750 and Parhelia
look like over-kill for my requirements.
--
Doug Ramage

[watch spam trap]

nubis wrote:
> I was going to buy an ATI 9800Pro for its excellent 3D capabilities,
> but am having second thoughts given a number of people have reported
> its 2D quality is less than my Matrox G400Max. Any suggestions? I'm
> considering the Parhelia but it's a little out of my price range,
> although I'm checking on ebay for a better than retail price. Thanks.

Hi

I don't think it's very reasonable to compare graphics processor (9800
Pro) with a whole graphics card (Matrox). Output signal quality depends
on a whole card.

I've read some Sapphire models are good, but I wonder myself.

It's nasty to discuss this subject in the Matrox group, isn't it ;)

skorpion wrote:

> nubis wrote:
>> I was going to buy an ATI 9800Pro for its excellent 3D capabilities,
>> but am having second thoughts given a number of people have reported
>> its 2D quality is less than my Matrox G400Max. Any suggestions? I'm
>> considering the Parhelia but it's a little out of my price range,
>> although I'm checking on ebay for a better than retail price. Thanks.
>
> Hi
>
> I don't think it's very reasonable to compare graphics processor (9800
> Pro) with a whole graphics card (Matrox).

Who makes a graphics processor called the "9800 Pro"? The graphics
processor used on the ATI Radeon 9800 Pro board is the R350 or R360
depending on how new the board is.

> Output signal quality depends
> on a whole card.
>
> I've read some Sapphire models are good, but I wonder myself.
>
> It's nasty to discuss this subject in the Matrox group, isn't it ;)

--
--John
(was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)

J. Clarke wrote:
> Who makes a graphics processor called the "9800 Pro"? The graphics
> processor used on the ATI Radeon 9800 Pro board is the R350 or R360
> depending on how new the board is.

Please note I've cancelled that message!

skorpion <skooooorpiooooooon@ajlowju.pl.invalid.ooooo> wrote:
> J. Clarke wrote:
>> Who makes a graphics processor called the "9800 Pro"? The graphics
>> processor used on the ATI Radeon 9800 Pro board is the R350 or R360
>> depending on how new the board is.
>
> Please note I've cancelled that message!

Many, if not most, news servers do not honour regular cancel messages in
unmoderated newsgroups anymore -- they're too easy to forge and abuse by
kiddies cancelling people's posts just for "fun" or spite.
It may not show up anymore on your news server, but that doesn't mean that
it won't show up on near every other news server in the world.

--
*Art

Arthur Hagen wrote:
>>Please note I've cancelled that message!
> Many, if not most, news servers do not honour regular cancel messages in

Really? I've read it's never been effective anyway, but thanks :)

> unmoderated newsgroups anymore -- they're too easy to forge and abuse by
> kiddies cancelling people's posts just for "fun" or spite.

How can they do that? Isn't it necessary to cancel through the same
server and client IP?

Anyway my message wasn't _that_ bad (or was it). It doesn't really
matter what is the processor's name. The point is some people just don't
care about the quality of the board they get. But probably not on this
group. And there are different manufacturers of '9800 Pro' boards.

Cheers!

skorpion wrote:

> Arthur Hagen wrote:
>>>Please note I've cancelled that message!
>> Many, if not most, news servers do not honour regular cancel messages in
>
> Really? I've read it's never been effective anyway, but thanks :)
>
>> unmoderated newsgroups anymore -- they're too easy to forge and abuse by
>> kiddies cancelling people's posts just for "fun" or spite.
>
> How can they do that? Isn't it necessary to cancel through the same
> server and client IP?

USENET isn't kept on a single server or maintained by any centralized
authority. While the server to which you post might be able to distinguish
you from someone else forging your headers, no other server can do that.

--
--John
(was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.matrox (More info?)

skorpion <skooooorpiooooooon@ajlowju.pl.invalid.ooooo> wrote:
> Arthur Hagen wrote:
>
>> unmoderated newsgroups anymore -- they're too easy to forge and
>> abuse by kiddies cancelling people's posts just for "fun" or spite.
>
> How can they do that? Isn't it necessary to cancel through the same
> server and client IP?

Nope. From the inn.conf(5) manual (inn is the most common news server
software out there):

verifycancels
Set this to true to enable a simplistic check on all
cancel messages, attempting to verify (by simple
header comparison) that the cancel message is from the
same person as the original post. This can't be done
if the cancel arrives before the article does, and is
extremely easy to spoof. While this check may once
have served a purpose, it's now essentially security
via obscurity, commonly avoided by abusers, and probaÂ
bly not useful. This is a boolean value, and the
default is false.

> Anyway my message wasn't _that_ bad (or was it).

Not at all -- just wanted to make you aware that sending a cancel isn't as
useful as one might think.

Regards,
--
*Art

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.matrox (More info?)

Hi Doug,
If you don't mind my asking, what is the difference between the G550 and the
G650?

I am getting ready to move up from a G400 but don't know which one to go
for.

I have one PC with two monitors. One is a 24" Sun Microsystems, and the
other is a 19" Envision. I mainly use them for Photoshop and surfing.
Jon
"Doug Ramage" <RamageXX@ukacccountant.net> wrote in message

> "nubis" <nubiss@iwonnn.nett> wrote in message
> > I was going to buy an ATI 9800Pro for its excellent 3D capabilities,
> > but am having second thoughts given a number of people have reported
> > its 2D quality is less than my Matrox G400Max. Any suggestions? I'm
> > considering the Parhelia but it's a little out of my price range,
> > although I'm checking on ebay for a better than retail price. Thanks.
>
> Same here. I bought a 9800 Pro and sold it last week.
>
> I am using a G550, but will probably go for a P650. The P750 and Parhelia
> look like over-kill for my requirements.
> --
> Doug Ramage
>
> [watch spam trap]

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.matrox (More info?)

Not that much, judging from previous posts.

Have a look at the earlier thread " G550 or P650 in a new PC? Please help
me decide."

--
Doug Ramage

[watch spam trap]

On Sat, 31 Jul 2004 21:49:53 GMT, nubis <nubiss@iwonnn.nett> wrote:

>I was going to buy an ATI 9800Pro for its excellent 3D capabilities,
>but am having second thoughts given a number of people have reported
>its 2D quality is less than my Matrox G400Max. Any suggestions? I'm
>considering the Parhelia but it's a little out of my price range,
>although I'm checking on ebay for a better than retail price. Thanks.

Hi:
I was a long-time Matrox user. I began with the original PCI
Mystique through the G200, G400Max and Parhelia128.
The G400Max and was used with A ViewSonic 21" P817 sm as Primary.
I used this monitor also as Primary with the Parhelia and a 21"
ViewSonic P225f ag on Secondary.
I then changed to an ATI Radeon 9700Pro using the same monitors.
I have now swapped out the P817 for a 21.3" Samsung SyncMaster
213T TFT as Primary, the P225f as Secondary and run them with an ATI
Radeon 9800XT.

These monitors have only been run at 1600x1200 85Hz on all these
cards (except the TFT which is 1600x1200 60Hz native DVI).

I was always a well satisfied Matrox user and switched to ATI for
gaming reasons.
My eyes see no difference in 2D quality between Matrox and ATI.

Happy trails,