Combining AGP Dual-Head and PCI Graphic Card

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
a b U Graphics card
August 5, 2004 1:06:11 AM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.matrox (More info?)

To whom it may concern,

I want to connect three TFTs with my PC. At the moment, I'm using one
AGP Dual-Head Graphic Card from Matrox. My idea is now to add an additional
PCI Graphic Card (from Matrox?). I'm using WIN XP pro., but is it possible
to configure these Grafic Cards as a real "Triple-View" Display?
I don't want to buy an expensive Triple-Head Parhelia - but maybe there
are alternatives (only 2D working machine, no games...)

Any experiences/hints?

Thanks in advance.
Udo
August 5, 2004 1:40:44 PM

weikengoff@aol.com (WeikEngOff) wrote:

>To whom it may concern,
>
>I want to connect three TFTs with my PC. At the moment, I'm using one
>AGP Dual-Head Graphic Card from Matrox. My idea is now to add an additional
>PCI Graphic Card (from Matrox?). I'm using WIN XP pro., but is it possible
>to configure these Grafic Cards as a real "Triple-View" Display?
>I don't want to buy an expensive Triple-Head Parhelia - but maybe there
>are alternatives (only 2D working machine, no games...)
>
>Any experiences/hints?
>

>Thanks in advance.
>Udo

Not a problems to do especially if you are using XP.

http://www.realtimesoft.com/multimon/

will give you loads of info.

Hope this helps

Andy
Anonymous
a b U Graphics card
August 5, 2004 6:05:53 PM

On 04 Aug 2004 21:06:11 GMT, weikengoff@aol.com (WeikEngOff) wrote:

>To whom it may concern,
>
>I want to connect three TFTs with my PC. At the moment, I'm using one
>AGP Dual-Head Graphic Card from Matrox. My idea is now to add an additional
>PCI Graphic Card (from Matrox?). I'm using WIN XP pro., but is it possible
>to configure these Grafic Cards as a real "Triple-View" Display?
>I don't want to buy an expensive Triple-Head Parhelia - but maybe there
>are alternatives (only 2D working machine, no games...)
>
>Any experiences/hints?
>

>Thanks in advance.
>Udo
Yes. It is possible.

I'm currently running THREE 19" CRTs (shouldn't make a difference:
TFTs) off of two cards using a P750 driving two of them at 1600x1200
and a 3rd 19 inchers also at 1600x1200 using an old/1st gen (PCI) ATI
All-In-Wonder based on ATI's Rage Pro chipset and it works GREAT.

I did though (earlier this week) order myself another Matrox card
(G450/32MB/PCI) to replace the ATI card because the text on the ATI
driven display is not ***QUITE*** as crisp as the Matrox driven
monitors (and the 'softness' DOES follow the card if one swaps cables
around so its NOT the monitor). Matrox historically has always done 2D
text VERY WELL/sharply.

BTW: I would try and avoid using ANY PCI ATI RADEON card with your
Matrox AGP card: I DID try this (got a real good deal on a RADEON
based 'dual-head' card BUT while the ATI (Catalyst) drivers would
install and I could configure the monitor to a DEGREE, the ATI Control
Panel (Card configuration) applet would ABEND every time I tried to
run it. (Tried THREE sets/gens of Catalyst drivers with same result;
so I tend to think it is liley a 'fundamental dislike' of the ATI
software for the Matrox card/its software...).

I should get my new card next Monday (hard to order/hard to find) so I
should know early next week how it all works out.
a b U Graphics card
August 8, 2004 8:39:12 AM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.matrox (More info?)

Hi,
In the past I ran three monitors using the AGP card, and two PCI video
cards. It worked perfectly well with Windows 98. Now I use XP, and a
Matrox G400 with two monitors. I found that when I attempt to install a PCI
Video card I end up with an IRQ conflict that I cannot figure out how to
solve. The manual IRQ settings box is grayed out and does not allow me to
select an IRQ manually. I cannot believe that there is not a solution to
this, but so far I have not been able to find it. This is the only problem
I have had with XP.
Jon
"WeikEngOff" <weikengoff@aol.com> wrote in message
> To whom it may concern,
>
> I want to connect three TFTs with my PC. At the moment, I'm using one
> AGP Dual-Head Graphic Card from Matrox. My idea is now to add an
additional
> PCI Graphic Card (from Matrox?). I'm using WIN XP pro., but is it possible
> to configure these Grafic Cards as a real "Triple-View" Display?
> I don't want to buy an expensive Triple-Head Parhelia - but maybe there
> are alternatives (only 2D working machine, no games...)
>
> Any experiences/hints?
>

> Thanks in advance.
> Udo
August 8, 2004 8:39:13 AM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.matrox (More info?)

What do you mean by "IRQ conflict"? Does the system hang?
Give any error messages?

If it's just a matter of the two devices sharing an IRQ, that in
itself is not a problem.

Rick

"Jon Rodman" <jonrodman@email.com> wrote in message news:Q7iRc.13$Kt5.6@twister.nyroc.rr.com...
> Hi,
> In the past I ran three monitors using the AGP card, and two PCI video
> cards. It worked perfectly well with Windows 98. Now I use XP, and a
> Matrox G400 with two monitors. I found that when I attempt to install a PCI
> Video card I end up with an IRQ conflict that I cannot figure out how to
> solve. The manual IRQ settings box is grayed out and does not allow me to
> select an IRQ manually. I cannot believe that there is not a solution to
> this, but so far I have not been able to find it. This is the only problem
> I have had with XP.
> Jon
> "WeikEngOff" <weikengoff@aol.com> wrote in message
> > To whom it may concern,
> >
> > I want to connect three TFTs with my PC. At the moment, I'm using one
> > AGP Dual-Head Graphic Card from Matrox. My idea is now to add an
> additional
> > PCI Graphic Card (from Matrox?). I'm using WIN XP pro., but is it possible
> > to configure these Grafic Cards as a real "Triple-View" Display?
> > I don't want to buy an expensive Triple-Head Parhelia - but maybe there
> > are alternatives (only 2D working machine, no games...)
> >
> > Any experiences/hints?
> >

> > Thanks in advance.
> > Udo

Anonymous
a b U Graphics card
August 9, 2004 5:06:13 AM

On Sat, 7 Aug 2004 22:56:20 -0700, "Rick" <me@privacy.net> wrote:

>What do you mean by "IRQ conflict"? Does the system hang?
>Give any error messages?
>
>If it's just a matter of the two devices sharing an IRQ, that in
>itself is not a problem.
>
>Rick
>
>"Jon Rodman" <jonrodman@email.com> wrote in message news:Q7iRc.13$Kt5.6@twister.nyroc.rr.com...
>> Hi,
>> In the past I ran three monitors using the AGP card, and two PCI video
>> cards. It worked perfectly well with Windows 98. Now I use XP, and a
>> Matrox G400 with two monitors. I found that when I attempt to install a PCI
>> Video card I end up with an IRQ conflict that I cannot figure out how to
>> solve. The manual IRQ settings box is grayed out and does not allow me to
>> select an IRQ manually. I cannot believe that there is not a solution to
>> this, but so far I have not been able to find it. This is the only problem
>> I have had with XP.
>> Jon
>> "WeikEngOff" <weikengoff@aol.com> wrote in message
>> > To whom it may concern,
>> >
>> > I want to connect three TFTs with my PC. At the moment, I'm using one
>> > AGP Dual-Head Graphic Card from Matrox. My idea is now to add an
>> additional
>> > PCI Graphic Card (from Matrox?). I'm using WIN XP pro., but is it possible
>> > to configure these Grafic Cards as a real "Triple-View" Display?
>> > I don't want to buy an expensive Triple-Head Parhelia - but maybe there
>> > are alternatives (only 2D working machine, no games...)
>> >
>> > Any experiences/hints?
>> >

>> > Thanks in advance.
>> > Udo

To second that: DON'T WORRY ABOUT IT if everything is working
properly, you have no X's or !'s in device manager, etc.

WinXP and Win2K were designed with HW interrupt sharing (wherever
possible) in mind and your situation (assuming everything seems to be
working properly) is quite normal.
Anonymous
a b U Graphics card
August 10, 2004 5:13:56 AM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.matrox (More info?)

Hello HammerToe,

The AGP card works fine, but the PCI card does not work. It appears in the
Hardware Profile, but when viewing properties it indicates that it has a
problem. It cannot be enabled.

Start/Control Panel/System/Hardware/Device Manager/Display Adapters - Right
click the adapter, select Properties/General/Device status.
The Device Status indicates "This device has a problem". I have tried three
PCI video cards which I have had for about five years and have used
occasionally without any previous problems. I am sure these are good cards.
When I click on the Resources Tab, it indicates that it is not using any
resources.

If you can shed any light on this subject, I would love to be able to stick
in three Video Cards and run one monitor per card.

Thanks,
Jon

"HammerToe" <HammerToe@online.com> wrote in message
> On Sat, 7 Aug 2004 22:56:20 -0700, "Rick" <me@privacy.net> wrote:
>
> >What do you mean by "IRQ conflict"? Does the system hang?
> >Give any error messages?
> >
> >If it's just a matter of the two devices sharing an IRQ, that in
> >itself is not a problem.
> >
> >Rick
> >
> >"Jon Rodman" <jonrodman@email.com> wrote in message
> >> Hi,
> >> In the past I ran three monitors using the AGP card, and two PCI video
> >> cards. It worked perfectly well with Windows 98. Now I use XP, and a
> >> Matrox G400 with two monitors. I found that when I attempt to install
a PCI
> >> Video card I end up with an IRQ conflict that I cannot figure out how
> >> solve. The manual IRQ settings box is grayed out and does not allow me
> >> select an IRQ manually. I cannot believe that there is not a solution
> >> this, but so far I have not been able to find it. This is the only
problem
> >> I have had with XP.
> >> Jon
> >> "WeikEngOff" <weikengoff@aol.com> wrote in message

> >> additional

> To second that: DON'T WORRY ABOUT IT if everything is working
> properly, you have no X's or !'s in device manager, etc.
>
> WinXP and Win2K were designed with HW interrupt sharing (wherever
> possible) in mind and your situation (assuming everything seems to be
> working properly) is quite normal.
Anonymous
a b U Graphics card
August 10, 2004 6:22:44 AM

news:o jVRc.5929$Kt5.3363@twister.nyroc.rr.com...
> Hello HammerToe,
>
> The AGP card works fine, but the PCI card does not work. It appears in
the
> Hardware Profile, but when viewing properties it indicates that it has a
> problem. It cannot be enabled.

XP, etc. are very picky about what cards you use for Dualhead. You will find
that there are few PCI cards that will actually work properly even though
they seemed to work fine in Windows 98.

Try to find the XP hardware compatibility list on the Microsoft site.
Anonymous
a b U Graphics card
August 10, 2004 5:01:28 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.matrox (More info?)

On Tue, 10 Aug 2004 01:13:56 GMT, "Jon Rodman" <jonrodman@email.com>
wrote:

>Hello HammerToe,
>
>The AGP card works fine, but the PCI card does not work. It appears in the
>Hardware Profile, but when viewing properties it indicates that it has a
>problem. It cannot be enabled.
>
>Start/Control Panel/System/Hardware/Device Manager/Display Adapters - Right
>click the adapter, select Properties/General/Device status.
>The Device Status indicates "This device has a problem". I have tried three
>PCI video cards which I have had for about five years and have used
>occasionally without any previous problems. I am sure these are good cards.
>When I click on the Resources Tab, it indicates that it is not using any
>resources.
>
>If you can shed any light on this subject, I would love to be able to stick
>in three Video Cards and run one monitor per card.
>
>Thanks,
>Jon

About the only things I might suggest are ('Be METHODICAL'):

A. Try running just the AGP card and ONE PCI card first and try
running the PCI card in DIFFERENT PCI slots to see if you can't get
around the problem and and least get TWO cards working first. Some HW
interrupts are shared with the AGP slot depending on your board and
the number of PCO slots available,

B. IF your two PCI cards and not identical, try A. above with the
second card to again try and see if you can get two cards working,

C. If you manage to achieve any success getting EACH PCI card to work
and all by iteslf in specific PCI slots, then try it with BOTH in
those slots observed to be good and see what happens...

D. If the above fails (or maybe FIRST): many (most?) BIOS's do allow
manual setting of Interrupts to specific PCI slots and maybe some
tweaking/experiemnting here (starting with just one PCI card at at
ime) will work.

Sorry to here about your problems. FWIW: I've been sucessfull running
3-19" monitors (each at 1600x1200) on a Gigabyte 7N400 Pro2 MB using a
Matrox P750 AGP card to drive two with the 3rd being successfully
driven by BOTH an old ATI All-In-Wonder RAGE PRO PCI card and
(currently) a new Matrox G450 PCI card I upgraded to last Friday. (The
ATI card worked BUT the text was not 'quite' crisp (as the P750 driven
monitors) and the G450 definitely fixed THAT problem. I had/have had
NO problems whatsoever with three monitors with EITHER of these cards.

I also tried a RADEON based ATI PCI card with the P750 (Diamond
Stealth 9200SE Duelhead) and DID get the 3 working together as far as
the DRIVERS were concerned (the Stealh card uses ATI Catalyst drivers)
BUT the 'ATI Display Control Panel Configuration Applet' that gets
installed kept crashing every time I tried to run it (and I tried
three different Catalyst versions). Wierd. It would 'error' when it
tried to start BUT I could still get into 'Advanced Display settings
and see all the ATI specific Tabs added BUT I didn't like the errors
so I returned the card... SO.... one piece of advice might be to try
and stay with one manufacturers cards if possible as I think your
chances of success are probably better.

In the end, it may well be a 'fundamental dislike' of the specific
card(s)-motherboard combinations that ONLY surfaces with XP.

Good Luck! (Let us know if you finally succeed).
Anonymous
a b U Graphics card
August 11, 2004 7:41:32 AM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.matrox (More info?)

Hello HammerToe,
Those are great suggestions. I have done about 1/3 of them. It sounds as
if we are using some of the same cards.
This weekend I will methodically tackle this project and let you know how it
turns out.
You may be correct. Maybe it is not an IRQ issue, maybe XP does not support
my cards. I jumped to the conclusion that it was an IRQ conflict because I
had that issue before. With Windows 98 it was easily solvable. Maybe I
need cards that are XP compatible.
Thanks for great recommendations.
> [...]
> Stealth 9200SE Duelhead) and DID get the 3 working together as far as
> the DRIVERS were concerned (the Stealh card uses ATI Catalyst drivers)
> BUT the 'ATI Display Control Panel Configuration Applet' that gets
> installed kept crashing every time I tried to run it (and I tried
> three different Catalyst versions). Wierd. It would 'error' when it
> tried to start BUT I could still get into 'Advanced Display settings
> and see all the ATI specific Tabs added BUT I didn't like the errors
> so I returned the card... SO.... one piece of advice might be to try
> and stay with one manufacturers cards if possible as I think your
> chances of success are probably better.
>
> In the end, it may well be a 'fundamental dislike' of the specific
> card(s)-motherboard combinations that ONLY surfaces with XP.
>
> Good Luck! (Let us know if you finally succeed).

August 14, 2004 9:45:57 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.matrox (More info?)

Hello HammerToe,
You were correct. I followed your recommendations and have two monitors
that work beautifully together. It took about an hour of experimenting and
worked out well. I don't have any noticeable flicker. I also did not have
to buy any new cards. I was able to make the ones I had work. It is great
having two nice big clear displays. Maybe next year I will add a third.
Long Live Matrox,
Jon

> [...]
> > Stealth 9200SE Duelhead) and DID get the 3 working together as far as
> > the DRIVERS were concerned (the Stealh card uses ATI Catalyst drivers)
> > BUT the 'ATI Display Control Panel Configuration Applet' that gets
> > installed kept crashing every time I tried to run it (and I tried
> > three different Catalyst versions). Wierd. It would 'error' when it
> > tried to start BUT I could still get into 'Advanced Display settings
> > and see all the ATI specific Tabs added BUT I didn't like the errors
> > so I returned the card... SO.... one piece of advice might be to try
> > and stay with one manufacturers cards if possible as I think your
> > chances of success are probably better.
> >
> > In the end, it may well be a 'fundamental dislike' of the specific
> > card(s)-motherboard combinations that ONLY surfaces with XP.
> >
> > Good Luck! (Let us know if you finally succeed).

August 19, 2004 12:37:58 AM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.matrox (More info?)

Hello all,

thanks for your hints. As a first test, I have installed my really old ATI 3D
RAGEII PCI graphic
card. Works as expected, I'm really happy. Never thought that it is so easy.
The only problem I
have now is that my PC can't switch to Standby-mode. I get an error message
like (translated):

The device driver for the device "ATI Technologies Inc. 3D RAGE II PCI"
prevents switching
to the standby-mode. Close all applications and try again. When the problem
still exists,
possibly the driver must be updated.

Unfortuantely it is not possible to get any other driver for that card than the
standard XP-
driver. Any hints?

Then I'm looking for a newer and not so expensive PCI graphic card with VIVO
(Video in and
Video out, that means Composite and S-Video). Any ideas?

Thanks a lot for all your help.
Udo
August 19, 2004 12:05:12 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.matrox (More info?)

weikengoff@aol.com (WeikEngOff) wrote:

>Hello all,
>
>thanks for your hints. As a first test, I have installed my really old ATI 3D
>RAGEII PCI graphic
>card. Works as expected, I'm really happy. Never thought that it is so easy.
>The only problem I
>have now is that my PC can't switch to Standby-mode. I get an error message
>like (translated):
>
>The device driver for the device "ATI Technologies Inc. 3D RAGE II PCI"
>prevents switching
>to the standby-mode. Close all applications and try again. When the problem
>still exists,
>possibly the driver must be updated.
>
>Unfortuantely it is not possible to get any other driver for that card than the
>standard XP-
>driver. Any hints?
>

>Then I'm looking for a newer and not so expensive PCI graphic card with VIVO
>(Video in and
>Video out, that means Composite and S-Video). Any ideas?
>

>Thanks a lot for all your help.
>Udo

I never managed to get Standby mode to work properly with multi Video
Cards. Hibernate would usually work though.

Andy
!