what's up with matrox?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
August 19, 2004 6:33:02 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.matrox (More info?)

Are they doing any consumer video these days?

More about : matrox

Anonymous
August 20, 2004 3:13:05 PM

"Hello" <george1234pds@excite.com> wrote in message
news:p gs9i0t38pasqr7f7a6ehg4gitgts8oqnb@4ax.com...

> Are they doing any consumer video these days?

Depends what you mean. Are they doing high quality, versatile desktop
graphics? Arguably yes.
Are they doing gaming oriented framethreshers? No.

As to what's up with them, they appear to be happy positioning their
products into their niches, which, given the amount of money necessary to go
toe to toe against nVidia and ATi, is probably the only option available to
them at the moment.
--

Richard Hopkins
Cardiff, Wales, United Kingdom

August 22, 2004 4:12:34 PM

"Richard Hopkins" <richh@dsl.nospam.co.uk> wrote in message
> "Hello" <george1234pds@excite.com> wrote in message
> news:p gs9i0t38pasqr7f7a6ehg4gitgts8oqnb@4ax.com...
> >
> > Are they doing any consumer video these days?
>
> Depends what you mean. Are they doing high quality, versatile desktop
> graphics? Arguably yes.
> Are they doing gaming oriented framethreshers? No.
>
> As to what's up with them, they appear to be happy positioning their
> products into their niches, which, given the amount of money necessary to
go
> toe to toe against nVidia and ATi, is probably the only option available
> them at the moment.
> --
>

> Richard Hopkins

I have just sold my Radeon 9800 Pro and replaced it with a Matrox P650, as I
am not a gamer.
--
Doug Ramage

[watch spam trap]
August 22, 2004 4:42:00 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.matrox (More info?)

In article <2ordcpFdvrj0U1@uni-berlin.de>, RamageXX@ukacccountant.net
(Doug Ramage) wrote:

> "Richard Hopkins" <richh@dsl.nospam.co.uk> wrote in message
> > "Hello" <george1234pds@excite.com> wrote in message
> > news:p gs9i0t38pasqr7f7a6ehg4gitgts8oqnb@4ax.com...
> > >
> > > Are they doing any consumer video these days?
> >
> > Depends what you mean. Are they doing high quality, versatile desktop
> > graphics? Arguably yes.
> > Are they doing gaming oriented framethreshers? No.
> >
> > As to what's up with them, they appear to be happy positioning their
> > products into their niches, which, given the amount of money
> > necessary to
> go
> > toe to toe against nVidia and ATi, is probably the only option
> > available
> > them at the moment.
> > --
> >

> > Richard Hopkins
> >

> I have just sold my Radeon 9800 Pro and replaced it with a Matrox P650,
> as I
> am not a gamer.
> --
> Doug Ramage
>
> [watch spam trap]

Me neither. I was thinking of a P650 too. What's it like?

John

Please remove "NO-SPAM" if sending email.
Anonymous
August 22, 2004 7:10:03 PM

"John Hollingsworth" <jwh@cix.co.uk> wrote in message
> In article <2ordcpFdvrj0U1@uni-berlin.de>, RamageXX@ukacccountant.net
> (Doug Ramage) wrote:
>

> > "Richard Hopkins" <richh@dsl.nospam.co.uk> wrote in message
> > > "Hello" <george1234pds@excite.com> wrote in message
> > > news:p gs9i0t38pasqr7f7a6ehg4gitgts8oqnb@4ax.com...

> > > Depends what you mean. Are they doing high quality, versatile desktop
> > > graphics? Arguably yes.
> > > Are they doing gaming oriented framethreshers? No.
> > >
> > > As to what's up with them, they appear to be happy positioning their
> > > products into their niches, which, given the amount of money
> > > necessary to
> > go
> > > toe to toe against nVidia and ATi, is probably the only option
> > > available
> > > them at the moment.
> > > --
> > >

> > > Richard Hopkins
> > >

> > I have just sold my Radeon 9800 Pro and replaced it with a Matrox P650,
> > as I
> > am not a gamer.
> > --
> > Doug Ramage
> >
> > [watch spam trap]
> >

> Me neither. I was thinking of a P650 too. What's it like?
>
> John

I am pleased with it so far. I have a G550 also, and the P650 is worth the
extra (for me).
--
Doug Ramage

[watch spam trap]
Anonymous
August 22, 2004 9:22:00 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.matrox (More info?)

In article <2ornpgFde727U1@uni-berlin.de>, RamageXX@ukacccountant.net
(Doug Ramage) wrote:

> "John Hollingsworth" <jwh@cix.co.uk> wrote in message
> > In article <2ordcpFdvrj0U1@uni-berlin.de>, RamageXX@ukacccountant.net
> > (Doug Ramage) wrote:
> >

> > > "Richard Hopkins" <richh@dsl.nospam.co.uk> wrote in message

> > > go

> > > I have just sold my Radeon 9800 Pro and replaced it with a Matrox
> > > P650,
> > > as I
> > > am not a gamer.
> > > --
> > > Doug Ramage
> > >
> > > [watch spam trap]
> > >

> > Me neither. I was thinking of a P650 too. What's it like?
> >
> > John
> >

> I am pleased with it so far. I have a G550 also, and the P650 is worth
> the
> extra (for me).
> --
> Doug Ramage
>
> [watch spam trap]

Thanks Doug, that's helpful. I am currently using a G550 on my #1PC and an
Asus 8420 as a temporary measure on an AMD64 I've just built. The P650
seems to be the one when the AMD64 becomes the #1. Like you, no gaming,
all 2D stuff.

John

Please remove "NO-SPAM" if sending email.
August 23, 2004 1:04:48 AM

"Doug Ramage" <RamageXX@ukacccountant.net> wrote in message news:2ornpgFde727U1@uni-berlin.de...

> I am pleased with it so far. I have a G550 also, and the P650 is worth the
> extra (for me).

Why?

AJ
Anonymous
August 23, 2004 11:47:32 AM

"AJ" <ng@newsgroups.net> wrote in message

> "Doug Ramage" <RamageXX@ukacccountant.net> wrote in message
>
> > I am pleased with it so far. I have a G550 also, and the P650 is worth
the
> > extra (for me).
>
> Why?
>
> AJ

I find the quality better -especially watching videos full screen.

And it has anti-aliasing which improves the font appearance on my 19" TFT
monitor under Windows 2000.

Gaming is probably better - relatively speaking.

The price difference is only about £30 + Vat.
--
Doug Ramage

[watch spam trap]
Anonymous
August 24, 2004 5:02:29 AM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.matrox (More info?)

In message <2ornpgFde727U1@uni-berlin.de>, Doug Ramage
<RamageXX@ukacccountant.net> writes

>I am pleased with it so far. I have a G550 also, and the P650 is worth
>the
>extra (for me).

Doug

Which drivers are you using?

rdgs
--
David
Anonymous

"David Livingstone" <number11@airds.co.uk> wrote in message
> In message <2ornpgFde727U1@uni-berlin.de>, Doug Ramage
> <RamageXX@ukacccountant.net> writes
>
> >I am pleased with it so far. I have a G550 also, and the P650 is worth
> >the
> >extra (for me).
>

> Doug
>
> Which drivers are you using?