My pictures don't print out right

Last response: in Computer Peripherals
June 20, 2004 1:48:02 AM

Why is it that when I print a picture taken with my Canon G5 on my Canon
i960 printer, using 4x6 paper, the largest the picture can be printed is
4x5.3 (using the Photo Studio 5 software, and yes, borderless is selected)?
The only way to get 4x6 is to use the Easy-Photo Print software, but that
just cuts off some of the top and bottom of the picture to expand the width
to the full 6 inches.

Thanks,
Richard

More about : pictures print

Anonymous
June 20, 2004 7:15:10 AM

"marlinspike" <marlinspike@erols.com.nospam> wrote in message
> Why is it that when I print a picture taken with my Canon G5 on my Canon
> i960 printer, using 4x6 paper, the largest the picture can be printed is
> 4x5.3 (using the Photo Studio 5 software, and yes, borderless is
selected)?
> The only way to get 4x6 is to use the Easy-Photo Print software, but that
> just cuts off some of the top and bottom of the picture to expand the
width
> to the full 6 inches.
>
> Thanks,
> Richard

You have to crop the picture to the 6X4 aspect ratio.
Anonymous
June 20, 2004 4:15:21 PM

Is there a way to automaticcaly crop the photos?
Thanks,
Richard
"Marvin Margoshes" <physnospamchem@cloud9.net> wrote in message

> "marlinspike" <marlinspike@erols.com.nospam> wrote in message
> > Why is it that when I print a picture taken with my Canon G5 on my Canon
> > i960 printer, using 4x6 paper, the largest the picture can be printed is
> > 4x5.3 (using the Photo Studio 5 software, and yes, borderless is
> selected)?
> > The only way to get 4x6 is to use the Easy-Photo Print software, but
that
> > just cuts off some of the top and bottom of the picture to expand the
> width
> > to the full 6 inches.
> >
> > Thanks,
> > Richard
> >

> You have to crop the picture to the 6X4 aspect ratio.

June 20, 2004 6:52:39 PM

4x6 is a 2:3 aspect ratio, but digicam pics are typically 3:4 ... For
3:4, I have found 5x7 to cutoff very little on the long edges,
otherwise yeah you'll have to crop them for 2:3 aspect ratios - and
cropping is mostly a manual task because *you* need to decide what you
want chopped off. I would think the printing sw would allow printing
4xD ... there are some online photo printers that are printing in 4xD
(and 5xD, 8xD, etc) size for digicam prints without having anything
cropped/chopped nor any white borders.
Anonymous
June 20, 2004 7:58:29 PM

I don't understand the xD concept. Please explain. I can crop myself, or
have the computer automatically crop the top and bottom to leave the center,
but I don't know what xD is.
Thanks,
Richard
"Markeau" <please_reply@news.group> wrote in message
> 4x6 is a 2:3 aspect ratio, but digicam pics are typically 3:4 ... For
> 3:4, I have found 5x7 to cutoff very little on the long edges,
> otherwise yeah you'll have to crop them for 2:3 aspect ratios - and
> cropping is mostly a manual task because *you* need to decide what you
> want chopped off. I would think the printing sw would allow printing
> 4xD ... there are some online photo printers that are printing in 4xD
> (and 5xD, 8xD, etc) size for digicam prints without having anything
> cropped/chopped nor any white borders.

Anonymous
June 20, 2004 9:06:14 PM

"marlinspike" <marlinspike@erols.com.nospam> wrote in message
> Why is it that when I print a picture taken with my Canon G5 on my Canon
> i960 printer, using 4x6 paper, the largest the picture can be printed is
> 4x5.3 (using the Photo Studio 5 software, and yes, borderless is
selected)?
> The only way to get 4x6 is to use the Easy-Photo Print software, but that
> just cuts off some of the top and bottom of the picture to expand the
width
> to the full 6 inches.
>
> Thanks,
> Richard

The ratio of a 4 x 6 is 1:1.5, the same as 35 mm film. Math: 4" X 1.5 = 6"

The ration of most digital cameras is 1:1.33 or 3:4.

If you multiply 4" X 1.33 = 5.32" for the long side.
The digital camera frame does not fit a 4 X 6 without cropping.

--
CSM1
http://www.carlmcmillan.com

4xD means the print will be 4" x whatever will make the print's sides
not print white borders - so the print will NOT be a standard 4x6 but
something like 4x5.333 ... anyway the 4xD (or just 4D), 5xD (or 5D)
and 8xD (or 8D) are what some of the online photo printers are
offering, like
http://www.ezprints.com/ezdirect/products.asp?type=Prin...

marlinspike wrote:
> I don't understand the xD concept. Please explain. I can crop
myself,
> or have the computer automatically crop the top and bottom to leave
> the center, but I don't know what xD is.
> Thanks,
> Richard
> "Markeau" <please_reply@news.group> wrote in message
>> 4x6 is a 2:3 aspect ratio, but digicam pics are typically 3:4 ...
For
>> 3:4, I have found 5x7 to cutoff very little on the long edges,
>> otherwise yeah you'll have to crop them for 2:3 aspect ratios - and
>> cropping is mostly a manual task because *you* need to decide what
>> you want chopped off. I would think the printing sw would allow
>> printing 4xD ... there are some online photo printers that are
>> printing in 4xD (and 5xD, 8xD, etc) size for digicam prints without
>> having anything cropped/chopped nor any white borders.
Anonymous
June 21, 2004 12:45:04 AM

I get it. I think I'll just use some 5x7 borderless paper and just leave
some extram space at the top and bottom.
> 4xD means the print will be 4" x whatever will make the print's sides
> not print white borders - so the print will NOT be a standard 4x6 but
> something like 4x5.333 ... anyway the 4xD (or just 4D), 5xD (or 5D)
> and 8xD (or 8D) are what some of the online photo printers are
> offering, like
> http://www.ezprints.com/ezdirect/products.asp?type=Prin...
>
> marlinspike wrote:
> > I don't understand the xD concept. Please explain. I can crop
> myself,
> > or have the computer automatically crop the top and bottom to leave
> > the center, but I don't know what xD is.
> > Thanks,
> > Richard
> > "Markeau" <please_reply@news.group> wrote in message
> >> 4x6 is a 2:3 aspect ratio, but digicam pics are typically 3:4 ...
> For
> >> 3:4, I have found 5x7 to cutoff very little on the long edges,
> >> otherwise yeah you'll have to crop them for 2:3 aspect ratios - and
> >> cropping is mostly a manual task because *you* need to decide what
> >> you want chopped off. I would think the printing sw would allow
> >> printing 4xD ... there are some online photo printers that are
> >> printing in 4xD (and 5xD, 8xD, etc) size for digicam prints without
> >> having anything cropped/chopped nor any white borders.

June 21, 2004 1:48:37 AM

He meant 4x6, 5x7, etc.

My Sony Cybershot has a 3:2 setting built in.

Adjust your shots keeping in mind that your gonna have to crop your
photos for printing. That's all you can do.

marlinspike wrote:
> I don't understand the xD concept. Please explain. I can crop myself, or
> have the computer automatically crop the top and bottom to leave the center,
> but I don't know what xD is.
> Thanks,
> Richard
> "Markeau" <please_reply@news.group> wrote in message
>
>>4x6 is a 2:3 aspect ratio, but digicam pics are typically 3:4 ... For
>>3:4, I have found 5x7 to cutoff very little on the long edges,
>>otherwise yeah you'll have to crop them for 2:3 aspect ratios - and
>>cropping is mostly a manual task because *you* need to decide what you
>>want chopped off. I would think the printing sw would allow printing
>>4xD ... there are some online photo printers that are printing in 4xD
>>(and 5xD, 8xD, etc) size for digicam prints without having anything
>>cropped/chopped nor any white borders.

Anonymous
June 21, 2004 3:37:30 AM

On Sun, 20 Jun 2004 17:06:14 GMT, "CSM1" <nomoremail@nomail.com>
wrote:

>If you multiply 4" X 1.33 = 5.32" for the long side.
>The digital camera frame does not fit a 4 X 6 without cropping.

Some cameras offer an option to properly crop photo to 1:1.5 or 2:3.
--
To reply, replace digi.mon with tds.net
Anonymous

> I get it. I think I'll just use some 5x7 borderless paper and just leave
> some extram space at the top and bottom.
> Thanks,
> Richard

Does that procedure let you decide what part of the picture gets printed?

I find that most digital pictures come out better with a little editing.
There are various programs that let you do this. Some are free, but not
full featured. I've been using Paint Shop Pro for several year, and the
current version makes it very easy to do the basic image-editing, including
cropping to the standard print sizes and placing multiple photos on a page.
Doing this has made my pictures better, and it is a part of my hobby of
photography. If you want to try the program free, you can download it from
www.jasc.com; it will run for 30 days.

> "Markeau" <please_reply@news.group> wrote in message
> > 4xD means the print will be 4" x whatever will make the print's sides
> > not print white borders - so the print will NOT be a standard 4x6 but
> > something like 4x5.333 ... anyway the 4xD (or just 4D), 5xD (or 5D)
> > and 8xD (or 8D) are what some of the online photo printers are
> > offering, like
> > http://www.ezprints.com/ezdirect/products.asp?type=Prin...
> >
> > marlinspike wrote:
> > > I don't understand the xD concept. Please explain. I can crop
> > myself,
> > > or have the computer automatically crop the top and bottom to leave
> > > the center, but I don't know what xD is.
> > > Thanks,
> > > Richard
> > > "Markeau" <please_reply@news.group> wrote in message
> > For

Anonymous
December 16, 2004 2:29:00 PM

Ensure your picture does not have a WHITE boarder ! When scanning
sometimes you get a white boarder around the picture. Cropped the
picture to eliminate the boarder.... Also sometimes Easy Phot Print
software adjusts the color of the picture incorrectly..... If you need
more information, feel free to send e-mail ..

Marvin Margoshes wrote:
> "marlinspike" <marlinspike@erols.com.nospam> wrote in message
> > Why is it that when I print a picture taken with my Canon G5 on my
Canon
> > i960 printer, using 4x6 paper, the largest the picture can be
printed is
> > 4x5.3 (using the Photo Studio 5 software, and yes, borderless is
> selected)?
> > The only way to get 4x6 is to use the Easy-Photo Print software,
but that
> > just cuts off some of the top and bottom of the picture to expand
the
> width
> > to the full 6 inches.
> >
> > Thanks,
> > Richard
> >

> You have to crop the picture to the 6X4 aspect ratio.
Anonymous
December 16, 2004 11:02:41 PM

> <Major snip>
> Marvin Margoshes wrote:
>> "marlinspike" <marlinspike@erols.com.nospam> wrote in message
>> > Why is it that when I print a picture taken with my Canon G5 on my
> Canon
>> > i960 printer, using 4x6 paper, the largest the picture can be
> printed is
>> > 4x5.3 (using the Photo Studio 5 software, and yes, borderless is
>> selected)?
>> > The only way to get 4x6 is to use the Easy-Photo Print software,
> but that
>> > just cuts off some of the top and bottom of the picture to expand
> the
>> width
>> > to the full 6 inches.
>> >
>> > Thanks,
>> > Richard
>> >

>> You have to crop the picture to the 6X4 aspect ratio.

If the image ratio is not 3:2 then there is some size difference when
printing to 6 X 4.
Most Digital camera images are 3:4 ratio. so they fit a 4 X 5.33 print size.

Example my 2 Megapixel camera makes 1600 x 1200 pixel images.
1200/4 inches=300 dpi.
1600/300dpi=5.333 inches.

So the print size from a 1200 x 1600 pixel image is 4 x 5.33 inches printed
at 300 dpi.
You can resize the image and crop to fit the print.

--
CSM1
http://www.carlmcmillan.com