Parhelia 128/256 Mgs. Memory Performance Difference?

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.matrox (More info?)

I'm considering purchasing the Parhelia, probably on ebay, and had a
couple of questions that I hoped could be answered here: What kind of
performance difference are we looking at when comparing the 128 mg
board with the 256 mg board? Currently I'm running a P3 with 1.5 gigs
of ram on a motherboard- Asus CUV4X- with AGP 4X- would it be a waste
to use the Parhelia with this board? Thank you.

nubis <nubiss@iwonnn.nett> wrote:
> I'm considering purchasing the Parhelia, probably on ebay, and had a
> couple of questions that I hoped could be answered here: What kind of
> performance difference are we looking at when comparing the 128 mg
> board with the 256 mg board? Currently I'm running a P3 with 1.5 gigs
> of ram on a motherboard- Asus CUV4X- with AGP 4X- would it be a waste
> to use the Parhelia with this board? Thank you.

No, it would be a good match for your CPU/MB. The problem is that the
Parhelia is so expensive that you can get a new motherboard, CPU *and*
graphics card that significantly outperforms the Parhelia for the same price
or less. The only reasons to get a Parhelia is if you either need
triple-head 3D, or use two displays with occasional playing old 3D games.

As for speed, the retail models are clocked faster than OEM models, and the
128 MB models are clocked faster than the 256 MB models.
Thus, the retail 128R model is the fastest. Unless you need to load up more
textures than the 128 MB board can hold, the 256 MB board will be slower.

Regards,
--
*Art

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.matrox (More info?)

On Sun, 22 Aug 2004 14:45:28 -0400, "Arthur Hagen"
<art@broomstick.com> wrote:

>nubis <nubiss@iwonnn.nett> wrote:
>> I'm considering purchasing the Parhelia, probably on ebay, and had a
>> couple of questions that I hoped could be answered here: What kind of
>> performance difference are we looking at when comparing the 128 mg
>> board with the 256 mg board? Currently I'm running a P3 with 1.5 gigs
>> of ram on a motherboard- Asus CUV4X- with AGP 4X- would it be a waste
>> to use the Parhelia with this board? Thank you.
>
>No, it would be a good match for your CPU/MB. The problem is that the
>Parhelia is so expensive that you can get a new motherboard, CPU *and*
>graphics card that significantly outperforms the Parhelia for the same price
>or less. The only reasons to get a Parhelia is if you either need
>triple-head 3D, or use two displays with occasional playing old 3D games.
>
>As for speed, the retail models are clocked faster than OEM models, and the
>128 MB models are clocked faster than the 256 MB models.
>Thus, the retail 128R model is the fastest. Unless you need to load up more
>textures than the 128 MB board can hold, the 256 MB board will be slower.
>
>Regards,

Thank you for the reply. I'm really interested in 2d and I know the
Parhelia aces that department, but then again so do most of the Matrox
cards. Which other cards were you referring to when you said that I
can get a graphics card that outperforms the Parhelia? I've
considered the ATI cards, 9800 pro, but I'm not convinced I will get
the same 2d quality with ATI that I would with Matrox. Reading the
following review got me very interested in the Parhelia:

http://www.nvnews.net/reviews/matrox_parhelia/index.shtml

"nubis" <nubiss@iwonnn.nett> wrote in message
> On Sun, 22 Aug 2004 14:45:28 -0400, "Arthur Hagen"
> <art@broomstick.com> wrote:
>
> >nubis <nubiss@iwonnn.nett> wrote:
> >> I'm considering purchasing the Parhelia, probably on ebay, and had a
> >> couple of questions that I hoped could be answered here: What kind of
> >> performance difference are we looking at when comparing the 128 mg
> >> board with the 256 mg board? Currently I'm running a P3 with 1.5 gigs
> >> of ram on a motherboard- Asus CUV4X- with AGP 4X- would it be a waste
> >> to use the Parhelia with this board? Thank you.
> >
> >No, it would be a good match for your CPU/MB. The problem is that the
> >Parhelia is so expensive that you can get a new motherboard, CPU *and*
> >graphics card that significantly outperforms the Parhelia for the same
price
> >or less. The only reasons to get a Parhelia is if you either need
> >triple-head 3D, or use two displays with occasional playing old 3D games.
> >
> >As for speed, the retail models are clocked faster than OEM models, and
the
> >128 MB models are clocked faster than the 256 MB models.
> >Thus, the retail 128R model is the fastest. Unless you need to load up
more
> >textures than the 128 MB board can hold, the 256 MB board will be slower.
> >
> >Regards,
>
> Thank you for the reply. I'm really interested in 2d and I know the
> Parhelia aces that department, but then again so do most of the Matrox
> cards. Which other cards were you referring to when you said that I
> can get a graphics card that outperforms the Parhelia? I've
> considered the ATI cards, 9800 pro, but I'm not convinced I will get
> the same 2d quality with ATI that I would with Matrox. Reading the
> following review got me very interested in the Parhelia:
>
> http://www.nvnews.net/reviews/matrox_parhelia/index.shtml

What do you need a Parhelia for?

I too was considering one, but decided I did not need the extras, so I
bought a P650 instead. Very pleased with it so far.
--
Doug Ramage

[watch spam trap]

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.matrox (More info?)

On Mon, 23 Aug 2004 07:42:24 +0100, "Doug Ramage"
<RamageXX@ukacccountant.net> wrote:

>"nubis" <nubiss@iwonnn.nett> wrote in message
>> On Sun, 22 Aug 2004 14:45:28 -0400, "Arthur Hagen"
>> <art@broomstick.com> wrote:

>> >No, it would be a good match for your CPU/MB. The problem is that the
>> >Parhelia is so expensive that you can get a new motherboard, CPU *and*
>> >graphics card that significantly outperforms the Parhelia for the same
>price
>> >or less. The only reasons to get a Parhelia is if you either need
>> >triple-head 3D, or use two displays with occasional playing old 3D games.
>> >
>> >As for speed, the retail models are clocked faster than OEM models, and
>the
>> >128 MB models are clocked faster than the 256 MB models.
>> >Thus, the retail 128R model is the fastest. Unless you need to load up
>more
>> >textures than the 128 MB board can hold, the 256 MB board will be slower.
>> >
>> >Regards,
>>
>> Thank you for the reply. I'm really interested in 2d and I know the
>> Parhelia aces that department, but then again so do most of the Matrox
>> cards. Which other cards were you referring to when you said that I
>> can get a graphics card that outperforms the Parhelia? I've
>> considered the ATI cards, 9800 pro, but I'm not convinced I will get
>> the same 2d quality with ATI that I would with Matrox. Reading the
>> following review got me very interested in the Parhelia:
>>
>> http://www.nvnews.net/reviews/matrox_parhelia/index.shtml
>
>What do you need a Parhelia for?
>
>I too was considering one, but decided I did not need the extras, so I
>bought a P650 instead. Very pleased with it so far.

Does the P650 have DVI?

"Arthur Hagen" <art@broomstick.com> wrote in message news:cgapk9

> As for speed, the retail models are clocked faster than OEM models, and
the
> 128 MB models are clocked faster than the 256 MB models.
> Thus, the retail 128R model is the fastest. Unless you need to load up
more
> textures than the 128 MB board can hold, the 256 MB board will be slower.

Where did you get this info? Have you got a link?

Cheers

ss.

Synapse Syndrome <paradroid2000@NOSPAMhotmail.com> wrote:
> "Arthur Hagen" <art@broomstick.com> wrote in message news:cgapk9
>>
>> As for speed, the retail models are clocked faster than OEM models,
>> and the 128 MB models are clocked faster than the 256 MB models.
>> Thus, the retail 128R model is the fastest. Unless you need to load
>> up more textures than the 128 MB board can hold, the 256 MB board
>> will be slower.
>
> Where did you get this info? Have you got a link?

It's been discussed in the Matrox support forums, and there's numerous other
references on the web. The 128R runs at 220MHz with 550MHz RAM speed, while
the OEM and 256MB models run at 200MHz with 500MHz RAM speed.
Do your own search.

--
*Art

ME

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.matrox (More info?)

nubis <nubiss@iwonnn.nett> wrote:

>>I too was considering one, but decided I did not need the extras, so I
>>bought a P650 instead. Very pleased with it so far.
>
>Does the P650 have DVI?

Yes, I have mine connected to a pair of IIyama TFTs on 2 DVI Cables. My
P650 cam with analogue cables and converters, I had to buy the DVI cables
separately.

Andy