Composite video capture using RT.X100

Pandora

Distinguished
Jun 14, 2004
Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.matrox (More info?)

I have a composite video "pass-through" facility on my DV camcorder (Sony
TRV30E) whereby a composite video input signal is converted to DV out.

This means that I can use my camcorder as an external converter and capture
composite video to a firewire input on my p.c.

Is there any advantage of using RT.X100 composite video capture over using
the analogue "pass-through" facility on my camcorder (Sony TRV30E) whereby a
composite video input signal is converted to DV out? Which would give the
best quality - has anyone experimented?

(Note: I already own a Matrox RT.X100 and use it for DV capture

"Pandora" <no--spam@pandora.be> wrote in message

> Is there any advantage of using RT.X100 composite video capture over using
> the analogue "pass-through" facility on my camcorder (Sony TRV30E) whereby
> composite video input signal is converted to DV out? Which would give the
> best quality - has anyone experimented?
>
> (Note: I already own a Matrox RT.X100 and use it for DV capture

I'll try and answer my own question and see if anyone chips in.

It seems to me that the camcorder method won't suffer from the audio/video
synchronisation problems that the RT.X100 has. (See "Audio Capture Drift
Detection" in X tools).

Unlike the Canopus DVSTorm2 which captures both video AND audio, the Matrox
card relies on the sound card to capture audio. I noticed that there was a
synchronisation problem on a composite video capture I did with the RT.X100