Can I get dual DVI output on one card?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
August 28, 2004 1:45:53 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.matrox (More info?)

Hi

Probably a stupid question (I'm good at those!) but...

I'm thinking of buying two 17" TFTs for my PC. I'll need a new graphics card
which supports 2 monitors. All the ones I can find seem for have one
analogue VGA port and one 'digital' DVI port. I plan to get TFTs with DVI
inputs so would like to run them both DVI rather than one DVI and one
VGA/analogue.

I realise that you can get 'dongles' to convert the DVI port to VGA d-type
(I guess the DVI socket has digital and analogue pins) but I am presuming
that the standard VGA dtype does not support digital.

Does this make any kind of sense....upshot is how do I run two TFTs via DVI
from one graphics card?

Thanks

Jonathan
Nottingham, UK

More about : dual dvi output card

Anonymous
August 28, 2004 1:45:54 PM

Jonathan E wrote:

> Hi
>
> Probably a stupid question (I'm good at those!) but...
>
> I'm thinking of buying two 17" TFTs for my PC. I'll need a new graphics
> card which supports 2 monitors. All the ones I can find seem for have one
> analogue VGA port and one 'digital' DVI port. I plan to get TFTs with DVI
> inputs so would like to run them both DVI rather than one DVI and one
> VGA/analogue.
>
> I realise that you can get 'dongles' to convert the DVI port to VGA d-type
> (I guess the DVI socket has digital and analogue pins) but I am presuming
> that the standard VGA dtype does not support digital.

DVI-I has both sets of signals--most video boards have DVI-I outputs.

> Does this make any kind of sense....upshot is how do I run two TFTs via
> DVI from one graphics card?

Quick overview
<http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProduct.asp?submit=proper...;.

--
--John
(was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.matrox (More info?)

On Sat, 28 Aug 2004 09:45:53 +0000 (UTC), "Jonathan E"
<jonathan@no-spam-ethnet.co.uk> wrote:

> Probably a stupid question (I'm good at those!) but...
>
> I'm thinking of buying two 17" TFTs for my PC. I'll need a new graphics card
> which supports 2 monitors. All the ones I can find seem for have one
> analogue VGA port and one 'digital' DVI port. I plan to get TFTs with DVI
> inputs so would like to run them both DVI rather than one DVI and one
> VGA/analogue.
>
> I realise that you can get 'dongles' to convert the DVI port to VGA d-type
> (I guess the DVI socket has digital and analogue pins) but I am presuming
> that the standard VGA dtype does not support digital.
>
> Does this make any kind of sense....upshot is how do I run two TFTs via DVI
> from one graphics card?

Matrox P750 have two DVI output.
August 28, 2004 5:53:57 PM

28 Aug 2004 09:45:53 +0000 (UTC), <jonathan@no-spam-ethnet.co.uk> wrote:

> I'm thinking of buying two 17" TFTs for my PC. I'll need a new graphics card
> which supports 2 monitors. All the ones I can find seem for have one
> analogue VGA port and one 'digital' DVI port. I plan to get TFTs with DVI
> inputs so would like to run them both DVI rather than one DVI and one
> VGA/analogue.

Look on Ebay for old Matrox G200MMS (including cables), mine was under
$50. Runs 4 Samsung 191Ts, and you will enjoy multiple screens so
much that not having the 'latest and greatest gaming video card' will
be unimportant.

The narrow Samsung frame is ideal for side-by-side placement, not to
mention their outstanding video.
August 30, 2004 3:14:30 PM

"David Livingstone" <number11@airds.co.uk> wrote in message
> In message <cmo0j01656td2d6ilot4pia4jihppcakdi@4ax.com>, Ken
> <___ken3@telia.com> writes
>
>>Matrox P750 have two DVI output.
>
> As does the cheaper P650

Any input on when/if Matrox will provide dual DVI cards in PCI-E format?

August 30, 2004 3:42:11 PM

stealth wrote:

> "David Livingstone" <number11@airds.co.uk> wrote in message
>> In message <cmo0j01656td2d6ilot4pia4jihppcakdi@4ax.com>, Ken
>> <___ken3@telia.com> writes
>>
>>>Matrox P750 have two DVI output.
>>
>> As does the cheaper P650
>

> Any input on when/if Matrox will provide dual DVI cards in PCI-E format?

They've announced "by year end or later". Bet on "later".

!