antivirus help

a desktop and two laptops networked together running xp.belonging to
university students. what is the best way to protect without costing my first
born son??many many thanks from concerned dad
4 answers Last reply
More about antivirus help

    miker wrote:

    > a desktop and two laptops networked together running xp.belonging to
    > university students. what is the best way to protect without costing
    > my first born son??many many thanks from concerned dad

    You can use free antivirus on each machine such as AVG or Avast. I use
    F-Prot AV on my Windows machines - $30 for single-user license (yearly)
    and you can put it on 4 machines.

    Malke
    --
    Elephant Boy Computers
    www.elephantboycomputers.com

    I use Trend on all my machines, it's a little more expensive than free, but
    has never let me down, has a very nice firewall and is supported. They sell
    3 copies on their site for $89, www.trendmicro.com

    From: "miker" <miker@discussions.microsoft.com>

    | a desktop and two laptops networked together running xp.belonging to
    | university students. what is the best way to protect without costing my first
    | born son??many many thanks from concerned dad

    AVAST -

    AntiVir -
    http://www.free-av.com/ - FREE

    AVG -
    http://free.grisoft.com/freeweb.php/doc/2/lng/us/tpl/v5 - FREE

    CA eTrust -
    http://www.my-etrust.com/microsoft/index.cfm - FREE for one year.
    { Free offer extended indefinitely }

    CA eTrust is the best of the above and you can get the complete security suite (actually
    bundled software), Anti Virus, FireWall and Anti Spyware.

    --
    Dave
    http://www.ik-cs.com/got-a-virus.htm

    > miker wrote:
    >
    > > a desktop and two laptops networked together running xp.belonging to
    > > university students. what is the best way to protect without costing
    > > my first born son??many many thanks from concerned dad
    >
    > You can use free antivirus on each machine such as AVG or Avast. I use
    > F-Prot AV on my Windows machines - $30 for single-user license (yearly)
    > and you can put it on 4 machines.
    >
    > Malke
    > --
    > Elephant Boy Computers
    > www.elephantboycomputers.com
    > "Don't Panic!"
    > MS-MVP Windows - Shell/User

    Actually, it covers 5 computers for the home version ($29)
    http://www.f-prot.com/products/prices/price_win_personal.html

    or you can get the corp. version for $49 that covers 10 and will
    scan network drives as well. (I just got the corp version since
    Malke seemed to like it so well and their tech support actually
    responds to questions !!! )

    mikey

Microsoft Antivirus Windows XP