geoff

I joined a new domain on my HOME network and after rebooting the computer, I
cannot log on to Windows. It asks if I have the correct user name and domain
and asks me to type in the password. I am using my old username/password
from the old domain.
Am I missing something here??

Geoff wrote:
> I joined a new domain on my HOME network and after rebooting the
> computer, I cannot log on to Windows. It asks if I have the correct
> user name and domain and asks me to type in the password. I am using
> my old username/password from the old domain.
>
> Am I missing something here??

A local user account...

You see, if you were a member of an actual domain and logging into that
domain - then when you removed yourself from that domain, you eliminated the
cached logon information associated with that domain and the thing that was
allowing you to logon to the computer with the domain credentials.

You need the local username/password for the computer now that you have
removed the system from the original domain.

If you do not know one and this is your laptop/PC - there are ways to hack
said password. If it is not your laptop/PC - then you should contact those
who maintain it and have them logon and repair the damage.

Is there any special reason you removed the computer from the domain? You
do not need to be the member of a workgroup/domain to access the resources
available on said domain/workgroup - it does make it a bit simpler - but is
not usually required.

--
Shenan Stanley
MS-MVP

Geoff wrote:
> I joined a new domain on my HOME network and after rebooting the computer, I
> cannot log on to Windows. It asks if I have the correct user name and domain
> and asks me to type in the password. I am using my old username/password
> from the old domain.
> Am I missing something here??

Why would you expect that the username/password from the old domain
would work on the new domain? Had you established a trust relationship
between the two domains? Or had you created a user account on the new
domain server with the same login name and password as those of the old
domain? That won't work, as user account login names as nothing more
than conveniences for us carbon-based life forms - the computer and
domain server actually use the Security Identifier (SID) for
authentication, and each SID is unique, even if the two accounts have
the same login name.

--

Bruce Chambers

Help us help you:
http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

both at once. - RAH

I read your message and it made the hair on the back of my neck stand up.
What Shenan and Bruce were explaining in correct technical language is "You
are screwed!"

About four months ago when I was first setting up home wireless network for
three home computers, I brougt my loptop from work home to see if I could
access it on my network. It was not showing up and I thought it might be
because the Workgroup here was not the same as the company domain name. So I
changed the domain name thinking I would just change it back if it did not
work. So I changed it and rebooted. That was the last time I could log on
to that laptop by that username.

Naturally, I did not have the company Admin password. I had also just left
for 2 weeks vacation and did not want to return the laptop the following
monday to be repaired. I finally found some downloadable software that
allowed me to change the Admin password to one of my choosing and boot up as
the Administrator. Which I did and changed the domain name back. My
original user account could still not be accessed by its original password.
I ended up setting up a new user account and was able to transfer my
documents from the old user account to the new user account while logged on
as Administrator.

It was a very time consuming and painful experience for me. From that I
learned: NEVER, EVER CHANGE THE DOMAIN NAME of a computer. The result is a
bit like hitting a brick wall at 60 MPH.

If it is a company computer, just sheepishly return it to the IT dept, tell
them what you did, and hope they can return it to you sometime soon.

You have my sympathy, ...from someone who recently made the same dumb mistake.

Also, now after setting the "shares" on that company laptop, I can see it
just fine on my home network. It shows up with its original company domain
name and I can access the files across my network just fine.

regards and good luck,
--
renoch