I have Windows XP Pro SP2 and I can not get Windows Firewall to work. It
says it is running in services and I have tried resetting winsock, but I
still can't get it to turn on. Please help.

Malke

Shahal wrote:

> I have Windows XP Pro SP2 and I can not get Windows Firewall to work.
> It says it is running in services and I have tried resetting winsock,
> but I
> still can't get it to turn on. Please help.

What error messages do you get? Are you running any third-party
firewalls or antivirus with firewall included (like Norton 2005)? In
the meantime, here are some WF-related links:

FIREWALL DEAD, or other network issues:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/892350

MS antispyware tool disables Windows Firewall (or to reset firewall):
Start>Run cmd [enter]
netsh winsock reset catalog [enter]
Follow prompts and reboot.

"Due to an unidentified problem, Windows cannot display Windows Firewall
settings" error, try:
Start>Run regsvr32 hnetcfg.dll [enter]

Malke
--
Elephant Boy Computers
www.elephantboycomputers.com

I uninstalled my antivirus software and turned off MS Antispy. There are no
error messages. It just won't turn on.

"Shahal" <Shahal@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I uninstalled my antivirus software and turned off MS Antispy. There are
>no
> error messages. It just won't turn on.

Are you on a network with active directory, i.e. a corporate domain? It may
be disabled by a group policy.

Kerry

No I am not.