windows security center

Hello,

I am using XP Home SP2. For some reason lately, everytime I start my computer, a security center balloon pops up in the system tray saying Norton Antivirus (NAV) is turned off and I may be vulnerable. Then it is gone once startup is complete. This tells me that for some reason Windows is not starting NAV first thing anymore. It concerns me that for the short time until it is started, my system may be vulnerable. Is there some way I can "force" NAV to be the first thing that starts, or is there some other way to troubleshoot this problem?

Regards,
Bob Brannon
8 answers Last reply
More about windows security center

    I've had almost the same problem for a long time. NAV is crossed in red but
    I don't get the security balloon you see. It doesn't happen after every
    boot. It seems to be in spells; works ok for a stretch and then this
    happens again a few times.

    Do you use ZoneAlarm? NAV appears to be off until ZoneAlarm is active when
    this problem is happpening.

    Frank

    "Bob Brannon" <bbran@3rivers.net> wrote in message
    Hello,

    I am using XP Home SP2. For some reason lately, everytime I start my
    computer, a security center balloon pops up in the system tray saying Norton
    Antivirus (NAV) is turned off and I may be vulnerable. Then it is gone once
    startup is complete. This tells me that for some reason Windows is not
    starting NAV first thing anymore. It concerns me that for the short time
    until it is started, my system may be vulnerable. Is there some way I can
    "force" NAV to be the first thing that starts, or is there some other way to
    troubleshoot this problem?

    Regards,
    Bob Brannon

    I do not have ZoneAlarm. Maybe this isn't a problem if my DSL isn't running before NAV is started. Don't know how to tell that because startup only takes about a minute.

    "FrankV" <FrankV@anonymous.address> wrote in message news:eZvC$o$tFHA.3864@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl...
[...]

    Startup should be 20 or 30 seconds, not a minute. My startup increase to
    about a minute only in the situation where NAV is red marked until ZA runs
    (which is always the last program to run).

[...]

    I also have the same problem w/ my XP...
    How can I install (or get) ZoneAlarm?
    I am wondering if this problem is preventing me from
    accessing secure sites on Internet Explorer. Any advice?

    "FrankV" wrote:

    > I've had almost the same problem for a long time. NAV is crossed in red but
    > I don't get the security balloon you see. It doesn't happen after every
    > boot. It seems to be in spells; works ok for a stretch and then this
    > happens again a few times.
    >
    > Do you use ZoneAlarm? NAV appears to be off until ZoneAlarm is active when
    > this problem is happpening.
    >
    > Frank
    >

    > "Bob Brannon" <bbran@3rivers.net> wrote in message
    > Hello,
    >
    > I am using XP Home SP2. For some reason lately, everytime I start my
    > computer, a security center balloon pops up in the system tray saying Norton
    > Antivirus (NAV) is turned off and I may be vulnerable. Then it is gone once
    > startup is complete. This tells me that for some reason Windows is not
    > starting NAV first thing anymore. It concerns me that for the short time
    > until it is started, my system may be vulnerable. Is there some way I can
    > "force" NAV to be the first thing that starts, or is there some other way to
    > troubleshoot this problem?
    >

    > Regards,
    > Bob Brannon

    Free version of ZoneAlarm is at
    http://www.zonelabs.com/store/content/catalog/products/sku_list_za.jsp?dc=12bms&ctry=US&lang=en&lid=dbtopnav_zass

    Frank

    "Brigitte" <Brigitte@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >I also have the same problem w/ my XP...
    > How can I install (or get) ZoneAlarm?
    > I am wondering if this problem is preventing me from
    > accessing secure sites on Internet Explorer. Any advice?
    >
    > "FrankV" wrote:
    >
    >> I've had almost the same problem for a long time. NAV is crossed in red
    >> but
    >> I don't get the security balloon you see. It doesn't happen after every
    >> boot. It seems to be in spells; works ok for a stretch and then this
    >> happens again a few times.
    >>
    >> Do you use ZoneAlarm? NAV appears to be off until ZoneAlarm is active
    >> when
    >> this problem is happpening.
    >>
    >> Frank
    >>

    >> "Bob Brannon" <bbran@3rivers.net> wrote in message
    >> Hello,
    >>
    >> I am using XP Home SP2. For some reason lately, everytime I start my
    >> computer, a security center balloon pops up in the system tray saying
    >> Norton
    >> Antivirus (NAV) is turned off and I may be vulnerable. Then it is gone
    >> once
    >> startup is complete. This tells me that for some reason Windows is not
    >> starting NAV first thing anymore. It concerns me that for the short time
    >> until it is started, my system may be vulnerable. Is there some way I
    >> can
    >> "force" NAV to be the first thing that starts, or is there some other way
    >> troubleshoot this problem?
    >>

    >> Regards,
    >> Bob Brannon

    Jonah,

    How do I switch off alerts? I cannot find that option anywhere and help doesn't tell me anything.

    "jonah" <jonah@nowhere.com> wrote in message news:738hi11haqqrivtjlom00f9qmkr9r3o92b@4ax.com...
    On Mon, 12 Sep 2005 07:59:37 -0600, "Bob Brannon" <bbran@3rivers.net>
    wrote:

    >Hello,
    >
    >I am using XP Home SP2. For some reason lately, everytime I start my computer, a security center balloon pops up in the system tray saying Norton Antivirus (NAV) is turned off and I may be vulnerable. Then it is gone once startup is complete. This tells me that for some reason Windows is not starting NAV first thing anymore. It concerns me that for the short time until it is started, my system may be vulnerable. Is there some way I can "force" NAV to be the first thing that starts, or is there some other way to troubleshoot this problem?
    >

    >Regards,
    >Bob Brannon

    Bob,

    As long as your NAV runs OK don't worry about the security alert or
    the starting order just ensure its updated correctly via live update.
    You know enough about security to not need nanny nag reminders about
    AV updates and such, switch off the alerts in Control Panel that will
    kill the bubble reminder and keep your eye on security yourself.

    Frank

    if your NAV is not running / intermittant and / or won't start you
    need to get it re-installed its the only way to fix Norton Stuff. This
    is not as easy as it sounds you cannot uninstall Norton sucessfully
    every time via Add / Remove Programs you have to go to Symantecs
    Support site and get the uninstallation instructions and app if
    applicable for your flavour of NAV. Last time I saw this was
    particular Norton balls up was 12 months ago and it was as I recall
    caused by a conflict with Real Player 10 that time, one of a great
    many problems NAV has. I would advise getting rid of it altogether
    rather than re-install it and using AVG (free) or NOD32 (pay) Trawl a
    few security NGs and you will lose count of the number of times Norton
    comes up causing problems very quickly, that should tell you all you
    need to know.

    http://www.grisoft.com/doc/1

    http://www.nod32.com/home/home.htm

    Brigitte

    NAV will not stop you getting to secure sites, this is more likely to
    be Firewall Settings or Malware Infection.

    Check this

    http://www.duxcw.com/faq/win/xp/secure.htm

    Jonah

    Bob Brannon wrote:

    > Jonah,
    >
    > How do I switch off alerts? I cannot find that option
    > anywhere and help doesn't tell me anything.

    Hi,

    Control Panel/Security Center, click on the "Change the Way
    Security Center Notifies Me" link in the left pane.

    If the "Change the Way Security Center Notifies Me" doesn't stick
    when you reboot, or you want to disable the Security Center totally,
    you can do the following:

    Start/Run --> services.msc

    Find "Security Center" in the list, double click on it, set
    "Startup type" to Disabled.

    Frequently asked questions about Windows Security Center
    http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=883792

    the 1328 page Scripting Guide:

    Thanks!

    "Torgeir Bakken (MVP)" <Torgeir.Bakken-spam@hydro.com> wrote in message news:uDzEi%23tuFHA.2064@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl...
    Bob Brannon wrote:

    > Jonah,
    >
    > How do I switch off alerts? I cannot find that option
    > anywhere and help doesn't tell me anything.

    Hi,

    Control Panel/Security Center, click on the "Change the Way
    Security Center Notifies Me" link in the left pane.

    If the "Change the Way Security Center Notifies Me" doesn't stick
    when you reboot, or you want to disable the Security Center totally,
    you can do the following:

    Start/Run --> services.msc

    Find "Security Center" in the list, double click on it, set
    "Startup type" to Disabled.

    Frequently asked questions about Windows Security Center
    http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=883792

    the 1328 page Scripting Guide:

Security Windows Security Windows XP