Backup/Restore etc.

nick

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

Ok, so... just did a fresh XP install on a new HD and my old install (with
all the Valve thangs) is now the slave drive. I've installed Steam, but not
installed HL2 etc. yet. I believe it's supposed to be possible to get all
the old stuff across without having to download/re-install.

If this is possible, what's the best way of doing it please?

Do I need to put the old drive back to master and use the backup function in
Steam, or can I just copy things across somehow?

Btw - I've looked at the Steam support site, but it only seems to mention
how you backup - not how to restore again.

Cheers!
Nick

Andrew

On Thu, 3 Mar 2005 13:31:26 -0000, "Nick" <nick@yourstuff.com> wrote:

>Ok, so... just did a fresh XP install on a new HD and my old install (with
>all the Valve thangs) is now the slave drive. I've installed Steam, but not
>installed HL2 etc. yet. I believe it's supposed to be possible to get all
>the old stuff across without having to download/re-install.
>
>If this is possible, what's the best way of doing it please?

I don't know about best, but I would guess copying the Steam\Steamapps
directory from the old disk to the new Steam directory would cover
most of it. You would still need to "install" the games, but you
shouldn't need to download much.

On 3/3/2005 5:40 AM Andrew brightened our day with:

>On Thu, 3 Mar 2005 13:31:26 -0000, "Nick" <nick@yourstuff.com> wrote:
>

>>Ok, so... just did a fresh XP install on a new HD and my old install (with
>>all the Valve thangs) is now the slave drive. I've installed Steam, but not
>>installed HL2 etc. yet. I believe it's supposed to be possible to get all
>>the old stuff across without having to download/re-install.
>>
>>If this is possible, what's the best way of doing it please?
>>

>I don't know about best, but I would guess copying the Steam\Steamapps
>directory from the old disk to the new Steam directory would cover
>most of it. You would still need to "install" the games, but you
>shouldn't need to download much.

I don't think you'd need to install them from the optical discs, if it
was me I'd just let it download all the stuff again after logging in.

--
Steve ¤»Inglo«¤
www.inglostadt.com

nick

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

"LymanAlpha" <ioo@??.¿¿¿> wrote in message
> On 3/3/2005 5:40 AM Andrew brightened our day with:
>
>>On Thu, 3 Mar 2005 13:31:26 -0000, "Nick" <nick@yourstuff.com> wrote:
>>

>>>Ok, so... just did a fresh XP install on a new HD and my old install
>>>(with all the Valve thangs) is now the slave drive. I've installed Steam,
>>>but not installed HL2 etc. yet. I believe it's supposed to be possible to
>>>get all the old stuff across without having to download/re-install.
>>>
>>>If this is possible, what's the best way of doing it please?
>>>

>>I don't know about best, but I would guess copying the Steam\Steamapps
>>directory from the old disk to the new Steam directory would cover
>>most of it. You would still need to "install" the games, but you
>>shouldn't need to download much.
>>
> I don't think you'd need to install them from the optical discs, if it was
> me I'd just let it download all the stuff again after logging in.

Erm... you'd "just let it download" upward of 6gb?

shawk

Nick wrote:
> "LymanAlpha" <ioo@??.¿¿¿> wrote in message

>>>I don't know about best, but I would guess copying the Steam\Steamapps
>>>directory from the old disk to the new Steam directory would cover
>>>most of it. You would still need to "install" the games, but you
>>>shouldn't need to download much.
>>>

>>I don't think you'd need to install them from the optical discs, if it was
>>me I'd just let it download all the stuff again after logging in.
>

> Erm... you'd "just let it download" upward of 6gb?

Lol - Steve thinks everyone has a very fast connection. It is the way I
did it and works great but if you have a slow connection then Andrew's
solution is your best bet. Copy the whole directory across and run
Steam - it *should* find your files and download only those that are needed.

--
"NOBODY expects the Spanish Inquisition! Our weapon is
surprise...surprise and fear...fear and surprise.... Our two weapons are

On 3/3/2005 6:38 AM Shawk brightened our day with:

> Nick wrote:
>
>> "LymanAlpha" <ioo@??.¿¿¿> wrote in message
>>
>>> On 3/3/2005 5:40 AM Andrew brightened our day with:

>>> I don't think you'd need to install them from the optical discs, if
>>> it was me I'd just let it download all the stuff again after logging
>>> in.
>>

>> Erm... you'd "just let it download" upward of 6gb?
>>

> Lol - Steve thinks everyone has a very fast connection. It is the way
> I did it and works great but if you have a slow connection then
> Andrew's solution is your best bet. Copy the whole directory across
> and run Steam - it *should* find your files and download only those
> that are needed.

6 Gb would take about five hours for me. But what I meant mostly was
just copy over the big chunks from the old install and then let steam
sort out the rest of the stuff. I'm not sure if you have to but I
wouldn't want to have to decrypt the files on the DVD again.

--
Steve ¤»Inglo«¤
www.inglostadt.com

"Nick" wrote

> Erm... you'd "just let it download" upward of 6gb?
yep no problem

tried to search for the restore thing
No luck

iirc it's somethink steam://restore?

- Peter

> On 3/3/2005 6:38 AM Shawk brightened our day with:
>
>> Nick wrote:
>>
>>> "LymanAlpha" <ioo@??.¿¿¿> wrote in message

>>> Erm... you'd "just let it download" upward of 6gb?
>>>

>> Lol - Steve thinks everyone has a very fast connection. It is the way I
>> did it and works great but if you have a slow connection then Andrew's
>> solution is your best bet. Copy the whole directory across and run
>> Steam - it *should* find your files and download only those that are
>> needed.
>>
> 6 Gb would take about five hours for me. But what I meant mostly was just
> copy over the big chunks from the old install and then let steam sort out
> the rest of the stuff. I'm not sure if you have to but I wouldn't want to
> have to decrypt the files on the DVD again.

Well, I tried copying stuff over from the folder named for my Steam account.
It seeemd to copy 6gb much too quickly, and it didn't work either - so in
the end, I just renamed the new Steam folder, copied the ENTIRE old Steam
folder over from the other drive - and it works fine.

Cheers!

shawk

Nick wrote:

> Well, I tried copying stuff over from the folder named for my Steam account.
> It seeemd to copy 6gb much too quickly, and it didn't work either - so in
> the end, I just renamed the new Steam folder, copied the ENTIRE old Steam
> folder over from the other drive - and it works fine.
>
> Cheers!

Nice one. One to tuck away for future reference too.

--

news:1109868328.8804.0@a lovely person.uk.clara.net...
> Nick wrote:
>

>> Well, I tried copying stuff over from the folder named for my Steam
>> account. It seeemd to copy 6gb much too quickly, and it didn't work
>> either - so in the end, I just renamed the new Steam folder, copied the
>> ENTIRE old Steam folder over from the other drive - and it works fine.
>>
>> Cheers!
>>

> Nice one. One to tuck away for future reference too.
>
> --
> "NOBODY expects the Spanish Inquisition! Our weapon is surprise...surprise
> and fear...fear and surprise.... Our two weapons are fear and
> surprise...and ruthless efficiency.... Our three weapons are fear, and
> surprise, and the ruthless efficiency...and an almost fanatical devotion
> to the Pope.... Amongst our weapons...are fear, surprise, ruth... Amongst
> our weaponry...are such elements as fear... I'll come in again"

Ah, monty python. But what of the comfy chair?

nick

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

news:1109868328.8804.0@a lovely person.uk.clara.net...
> Nick wrote:
>

>> Well, I tried copying stuff over from the folder named for my Steam
>> account. It seeemd to copy 6gb much too quickly, and it didn't work
>> either - so in the end, I just renamed the new Steam folder, copied the
>> ENTIRE old Steam folder over from the other drive - and it works fine.
>>
>> Cheers!
>>

> Nice one. One to tuck away for future reference too.

Yeah. So... I must be the first person in the Universe in Space to do this.
Wow, I'm a pioneer.

;o)

shawk

James Whyley wrote:

> Ah, monty python. But what of the comfy chair?

We have to extragate the truth from this unbeliever on pain of torture.
Get...The Comfy Chair! :)

--

LymanAlpha <ioo@??.¿¿¿> typed as if devouring a plate of spoo:
> On 3/3/2005 6:38 AM Shawk brightened our day with:
>
>> Nick wrote:
>>
>>> "LymanAlpha" <ioo@??.¿¿¿> wrote in message

>>> Erm... you'd "just let it download" upward of 6gb?
>>>

>> Lol - Steve thinks everyone has a very fast connection. It is the
>> way I did it and works great but if you have a slow connection then
>> Andrew's solution is your best bet. Copy the whole directory across
>> and run Steam - it *should* find your files and download only those
>> that are needed.
>>
> 6 Gb would take about five hours for me.

That's a nice connection! Even on my ADSL 6GB would take longer than that.
<g>
On dial-up, well... *shudder* LOL

There is no spoon.

EvilBill - http://evilbill.50megs.com/index.html
My Quake2 FTP site: ftp://65.30.181.223/quake2/EvilBill/
Jack of Hearts of the Eeeevil Trek Cabal (TINC)

Nick wrote:
> Ok, so... just did a fresh XP install on a new HD and my old install (with
> all the Valve thangs) is now the slave drive. I've installed Steam, but not
> installed HL2 etc. yet. I believe it's supposed to be possible to get all
> the old stuff across without having to download/re-install.
>
> If this is possible, what's the best way of doing it please?
>
> Do I need to put the old drive back to master and use the backup function in
> Steam, or can I just copy things across somehow?
>
> Btw - I've looked at the Steam support site, but it only seems to mention
> how you backup - not how to restore again.

1. Copy the entire Steam directory tree to the new computer.

2. Create a new shortcut on your desktop

3. Delete Clientinfo.blob

4. Start Steam, and it will reconfigure itself.

nick

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

"Polarhound" <Polarhound@comcast.net> wrote in message
> Nick wrote:
>> Ok, so... just did a fresh XP install on a new HD and my old install
>> (with all the Valve thangs) is now the slave drive. I've installed Steam,
>> but not installed HL2 etc. yet. I believe it's supposed to be possible to
>> get all the old stuff across without having to download/re-install.
>>
>> If this is possible, what's the best way of doing it please?
>>
>> Do I need to put the old drive back to master and use the backup function
>> in Steam, or can I just copy things across somehow?
>>
>> Btw - I've looked at the Steam support site, but it only seems to mention
>> how you backup - not how to restore again.
>
> 1. Copy the entire Steam directory tree to the new computer.
>
> 2. Create a new shortcut on your desktop
>
> 3. Delete Clientinfo.blob
>
> 4. Start Steam, and it will reconfigure itself.

Oh. Ok. But a new shortcut to what?

Nick <nick@yourstuff.com> typed as if devouring a plate of spoo:

>> 1. Copy the entire Steam directory tree to the new computer.
>>
>> 2. Create a new shortcut on your desktop
>>
>> 3. Delete Clientinfo.blob
>>
>> 4. Start Steam, and it will reconfigure itself.
>
> Oh. Ok. But a new shortcut to what?

The Steam executable.