virus? worm? trojan horse?--many problems

September 13, 2005 7:41:51 PM

it seems that every year when norton internet security is nearing
renewal our computer starts having major problems.

this year i delayed renewing til five days (sept. 10th) before
expiration (sept. 15th).

the problems started the last week of august:

1) the modem would dial up but only at 7kbps, 9kbps, but finally
would get to a normal amount of kbps. a couple days later, all the
settings for internet dial up were getting screwed up and upon
correcting it all-they'd get screwed up again.

2) i called our internet's tech support a few times, followed
their suggestions, finally being told that the modem most likely has
gone bad. we have an old external modem, which i decided to hook up.
oh boy, was that fun but i won that fight with whatever is imposing
itself on my computer.

3) now, since trying to update norton via the renewal, norton
can't seem to update and can't do a scan, so i downloaded a trial
version of zone alarm. it downloaded fine, a window came up stating
that norton was in the computer and needed to be uninstalled before
continuing and i did that, i started zone alarm and it was scanning
fine but before it got three quarters completed it stopped and of
course found nothing. i uninstalled zone alarm and reinstalled norton
and it won't even let me in to set options.

4) i have tried to restore to a previous date, but even if i am
successful it does not help, other times i am not able to restore to a
previous date at all. it seems to be blocked.

5) whatever the problem is, it has messed up some other
stuff-the worst is a spreadsheet project that took me a week to set-up.
thank heavens, i had backed it up on cd. as if that will do any good,
if i can't get the computer straghtened out.

i am quite surprised that it has not yet interferred with the external
modem, but so far, so good.

i have done everything i can think of and none of it lasts, it will
help for a while but the problems start again, please, help.

Deb

--
Deb
Anonymous

try a different virus protection software norton has many problems being that
it is related to microsoft and is picked on a lot by hackers and so forth,
using something pccillin it does its scan before it loads anything on your
system hopefully cleaning whatever your computer has caught otherwise you
will have to wipe your harddrive and start again. a good way to solve this
problem in the future is make regular backups of HD and you will not loose a
in terms of downtime and reconfiguring

"Deb" wrote:

> it seems that every year when norton internet security is nearing
> renewal our computer starts having major problems.
>
> this year i delayed renewing til five days (sept. 10th) before
> expiration (sept. 15th).
>
> the problems started the last week of august:
>
> 1) the modem would dial up but only at 7kbps, 9kbps, but finally
> would get to a normal amount of kbps. a couple days later, all the
> settings for internet dial up were getting screwed up and upon
> correcting it all-they'd get screwed up again.
>
> 2) i called our internet's tech support a few times, followed
> their suggestions, finally being told that the modem most likely has
> gone bad. we have an old external modem, which i decided to hook up.
> oh boy, was that fun but i won that fight with whatever is imposing
> itself on my computer.
>
> 3) now, since trying to update norton via the renewal, norton
> can't seem to update and can't do a scan, so i downloaded a trial
> version of zone alarm. it downloaded fine, a window came up stating
> that norton was in the computer and needed to be uninstalled before
> continuing and i did that, i started zone alarm and it was scanning
> fine but before it got three quarters completed it stopped and of
> course found nothing. i uninstalled zone alarm and reinstalled norton
> and it won't even let me in to set options.
>
> 4) i have tried to restore to a previous date, but even if i am
> successful it does not help, other times i am not able to restore to a
> previous date at all. it seems to be blocked.
>
> 5) whatever the problem is, it has messed up some other
> stuff-the worst is a spreadsheet project that took me a week to set-up.
> thank heavens, i had backed it up on cd. as if that will do any good,
> if i can't get the computer straghtened out.
>
> i am quite surprised that it has not yet interferred with the external
> modem, but so far, so good.
>
> i have done everything i can think of and none of it lasts, it will
> help for a while but the problems start again, please, help.
>
> Deb
>

> --
> Deb

Anonymous
September 14, 2005 2:20:41 PM

to "a+certified":

You certainly didn't get your moneys worth if you are truly A+ certified.

Norton is owned by a company called Symantec. It has *NOTHING* to do with
Microsoft...just as your brain apparently has nothing to do with thinking.

Norton Antivirus is the #1 antivirus app in the world, and is used by the
military, banking and financial institutions, many governments worldwide,
most major universities worldwide...you get the picture. Also, Norton
*DOES* scan before it installs anything on your computer.

Perhaps next time you'll get your facts straight before you go shooting your
mouth off and showing your ignorance.

Bad advice and bad information is not something we want here, and you gave
both.

You sure did waste your money for the A+ certification, as you apparently
learned nothing.

Bobby

September 14, 2005 4:10:23 PM

From: "a+ certified" <a+ certified@discussions.microsoft.com>

| try a different virus protection software norton has many problems being that
| it is related to microsoft and is picked on a lot by hackers and so forth,
| using something pccillin it does its scan before it loads anything on your
| system hopefully cleaning whatever your computer has caught otherwise you
| will have to wipe your harddrive and start again. a good way to solve this
| problem in the future is make regular backups of HD and you will not loose a
| in terms of downtime and reconfiguring

That's FUD !

Norton/Symantec is NOT related to Microsoft. The retail Norton AV solution is just so
problematic and there are *so many* complaints that it is not suggested. In addition
Norton/Symantec software is NOT the target of hackers. Hackers wouldn't even know the
software exists on the PC let alone trying to target it. It is just plain BAD information
and pure FUD !

Based upon what I read the post does not have the symptoms of a malware infection and does
lead to either a problem with; POTS line, DUN modem { connection maybe ?, serial ? PCI or
USB ? was not provided }

There is NO reason for her to wipe the system at this time. First, the DUN sub-system needs
to be thoroughly investigated and diagnosed.

BTW: "A+ Certified" technicians should have the knowledge and capabilities to use NNTP
Clients, not the CDO Web front end.

--
Dave
http://www.ik-cs.com/got-a-virus.htm

> From: "a+ certified" <a+ certified@discussions.microsoft.com>
>
> | try a different virus protection software norton has many problems being
> that
> | it is related to microsoft and is picked on a lot by hackers and so
> forth,
> | using something pccillin it does its scan before it loads anything on
> your
> | system hopefully cleaning whatever your computer has caught otherwise
> you
> | will have to wipe your harddrive and start again. a good way to solve
> this
> | problem in the future is make regular backups of HD and you will not
> loose a
> | in terms of downtime and reconfiguring
> |

> That's FUD !
>
> Norton/Symantec is NOT related to Microsoft. The retail Norton AV
> solution is just so
> problematic and there are *so many* complaints that it is not suggested.
> In addition
> Norton/Symantec software is NOT the target of hackers. Hackers wouldn't
> even know the
> software exists on the PC let alone trying to target it. It is just plain
> BAD information
> and pure FUD !

While I agree the advice given was very bad there was a security flaw in the
activex portion of Norton about a year ago. There were no known exploits but
it was possible to exploit almost any Norton product as a vector for malware
for a brief period of time.

A+ certification is so ridculously easy to attain I'm suprised someone would
use that sig:-)

Kerry
Anonymous
September 14, 2005 9:33:13 PM

From: "Kerry Brown" <kerry@kdbNOSPAMsys-tems.c*a*m>

| While I agree the advice given was very bad there was a security flaw in the
| activex portion of Norton about a year ago. There were no known exploits but
| it was possible to exploit almost any Norton product as a vector for malware
| for a brief period of time.
|
| A+ certification is so ridculously easy to attain I'm suprised someone would
| use that sig:-)
|
| Kerry

Sure there are vulnerabilities in so many applications from RealPlayer to IE to FireFox to
Adobe Reader. Ultimately any of the vulnerabilities can be exploited. Some have been
scripted and others are not presently known to have been scripted.

So to state "...norton...is picked on a lot by hackers..." is just FUD. Now if he had
stated a specific vulnerability in Norton software, had posted a URL on its exploitation and
discusssed its relation to Deb's problem then it would be a completely different story.

--
Dave
http://www.ik-cs.com/got-a-virus.htm
Anonymous
September 15, 2005 4:28:36 AM

In article <#GKLJnWuFHA.2540@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl>, no_@spam_verizon.net
says...
> Bad advice and bad information is not something we want here, and you gave
> both.

Maybe he's related to butts :-)
Anonymous
September 18, 2005 11:46:31 PM

Use McAfee ..... like Ralph Cramden's problem, Norton always acts stupid...

news:D eb.1vb5pr@pcbanter.net...

!