Allowing Defrag Permissions with out admin rights

September 13, 2005 6:36:48 PM

Anyone out their know how to give defrag rights without making the user a
local admin. I know I can make it a schedlued task but the user like to do it
himself. We use a domain system here so I could send down a group policy
change if needed.
Anonymous
September 13, 2005 9:59:40 PM

In the Group Policy Editor go to Computer Configuration, Windows Settings, Security Settings, Local Policies, User Rights Assignments. In the right pane locate the entry for Perform Volume Maintenance Tasks.

Win 95/98/Me/XP Tweaks and Fixes
http://www.dougknox.com
--------------------------------
--------------------------------
Unsolicited e-mail is not answered.

"Wesley" <Wesley@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:D 2E04D5F-B2FE-47C1-BAEC-3D8D2578EFB0@microsoft.com...
> Anyone out their know how to give defrag rights without making the user a
> local admin. I know I can make it a schedlued task but the user like to do it
> himself. We use a domain system here so I could send down a group policy
> change if needed.
September 15, 2005 9:52:04 AM

I tried this and it did not work, but I found another way to get this to work.
I scheduled a task to run a bat file with the DOS defrag commands in it and
gave it the admin permissions. Then all the user needs to do is to open the
Scheduled Task window and run the task. This seems to work.

!