I'm not able to run newly downloaded programs that interact with other
servers on the net, i.e. googletalk, games etc. I have no problems with
downloading and running programs that do not include connecting to a server.

I'm having no trouble running programs downloading a while a go, including
MSN Messenger and others.

What can I do to run programs on the net?

galen

Distinguished
May 24, 2004

In news:68E5C226-7347-45A9-9E88-B5EE50AD4E7E@microsoft.com,
newbie1974 <newbie1974@discussions.microsoft.com> had this to say:

> I'm not able to run newly downloaded programs that interact with other
> servers on the net, i.e. googletalk, games etc. I have no problems
> with downloading and running programs that do not include connecting
> to a server.
>
> I'm having no trouble running programs downloading a while a go,
> including MSN Messenger and others.
>
> What can I do to run programs on the net?

Check your firewall settings?

Galen

Sherlock Holmes

Yes, both in windows and router. Tried to turn of FW and open all ports, but
it doesn't change anything

"Galen" wrote:

> In news:68E5C226-7347-45A9-9E88-B5EE50AD4E7E@microsoft.com,
> newbie1974 <newbie1974@discussions.microsoft.com> had this to say:

> > I'm not able to run newly downloaded programs that interact with other
> > servers on the net, i.e. googletalk, games etc. I have no problems
> > with downloading and running programs that do not include connecting
> > to a server.
> >
> > I'm having no trouble running programs downloading a while a go,
> > including MSN Messenger and others.
> >
> > What can I do to run programs on the net?
>
> Check your firewall settings?
>
> Galen
> --
>
> "You know that a conjurer gets no credit when once he has explained his
> trick; and if I show you too much of my method of working, you will
> come to the conclusion that I am a very ordinary individual after all."
>
> Sherlock Holmes

galen

Distinguished
May 24, 2004

In news:51455586-CD15-491C-BADF-BCB9C463605E@microsoft.com,
newbie1974 <newbie1974@discussions.microsoft.com> had this to say:

> Yes, both in windows and router. Tried to turn of FW and open all
> ports, but it doesn't change anything
>
> "Galen" wrote:
>
>> In news:68E5C226-7347-45A9-9E88-B5EE50AD4E7E@microsoft.com,
>> newbie1974 <newbie1974@discussions.microsoft.com> had this to say:

>>> I'm not able to run newly downloaded programs that interact with
>>> other servers on the net, i.e. googletalk, games etc. I have no
>>> problems with downloading and running programs that do not include
>>> connecting to a server.
>>>
>>> I'm having no trouble running programs downloading a while a go,
>>> including MSN Messenger and others.
>>>
>>> What can I do to run programs on the net?
>>
>> Check your firewall settings?
>>
>> Galen
>> --
>>
>> "You know that a conjurer gets no credit when once he has explained
>> his trick; and if I show you too much of my method of working, you
>> will come to the conclusion that I am a very ordinary individual
>> after all."
>>
>> Sherlock Holmes

I'm guessing that this is because you may need to use the port forwarding
features for the various products listed and that your router might not have
preconfigured definitions setup for them as some do. With the variety of
products that you've mentioned or alluded to it makes me think that it's not
an OS issue nor is it a software issue (unless it's a software firewall
issue.) Those are, likely, the only two places such traffic would be being
stopped. For starters I'd give it a shot with disabling the firewalls (just
for a moment) and turning one back on and then the other. I think you'll
find that once you've disabled them that you'll be able to access the web
with those programs. By turning one on first and then the other you will
know which is blocking them.

Galen

Sherlock Holmes