connection loss every 5 minutes

Last response: in Wireless Networking
a b F Wireless
July 27, 2004 2:40:02 PM

i am rumming a linksys g router with netgear card... with win xp pro
every 5 minutes i loose connection
the xp wireless manager pops up and says i lost connection so i have to click the networl i want and it signs in again
any thoughts on how to correct this?
it just started about a week ago
thanks
Anonymous
a b F Wireless
July 27, 2004 6:22:03 PM

"alewis1975" <alewis1975@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>i am rumming a linksys g router with netgear card... with win xp pro
> every 5 minutes i loose connection
> the xp wireless manager pops up and says i lost connection so i have to
> click the networl i want and it signs in again
> any thoughts on how to correct this?

assuming you're speaking about the Linksys WRT54G...

i have the same issue with the Actiontec 802.11b NIC in my ThinkPad and the
WRT54G Router/WAP, about the only thing that helps is to unplug the power
from the router for several minutes (for some reason it locks-up if
powered-off and back on too quickly), then restore factory defaults via the
router's web interface.

in my experience with a Linksys WRT54G Router, not good. i upgraded from
the Linksys BEFW11S4 (802.11b) to the WRT54G (802.11g and 802.11b) with the
intention of using both standards on my network, but i quickly discovered
that 802.11b devices do not interoperate well with 802.11g devices and their
connections to the Wireless-G router were consistently dropped and/or the
speed and signal quality fluctuated considerably. i do not recommend the
WRT54G router, it is garbage compared to some of Linksys' other products.
having said that, Linksys has discontinued version 1 of the WRT54G router
and has replaced it with what looks to be a completely different unit and
called it Version 2, so who knows, maybe they've fixed the horrible mess
that was WRT54G v1.

there is a new firmware release for the WRT54G, which you can download from
Linksys:

http://www.linksys.com/download/firmware.asp?fwid=201

i recommend the use of the AutoUpgrade utility, since it's easier to use and
seems more reliable than using the router's web interface to perform the
update:

ftp://ftp.linksys.com/pub/network/WRT54GV2_2.04.3_US_co...

you should also look for firmware and driver updates for your NetGear
Wireless NIC
http://kbserver.netgear.com/main.asp

further to this, Windows XP Service Pack 2 (due for release in August) may
fix some of these WiFi issues, apparently SP2 contains an overhaul of
wireless networking code. if you are interested in obtaining the SP2
Release Candidate, which may help with your WiFi woes,

you may read about it here:
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/winxppro/s...

and download from here:
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/winxppro/m...

or automatically via WindowsUpdate:
http://v5.windowsupdate.microsoft.com/
--
francis
July 29, 2004 5:29:45 PM

Make sure there are no checkmarks on the IEEE authentication page in the Properties of your Network connection.

!