connection loss every 5 minutes

i am rumming a linksys g router with netgear card... with win xp pro
every 5 minutes i loose connection
the xp wireless manager pops up and says i lost connection so i have to click the networl i want and it signs in again
any thoughts on how to correct this?
it just started about a week ago
thanks
2 answers Last reply
More about connection loss minutes

    "alewis1975" <alewis1975@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >i am rumming a linksys g router with netgear card... with win xp pro
    > every 5 minutes i loose connection
    > the xp wireless manager pops up and says i lost connection so i have to
    > click the networl i want and it signs in again
    > any thoughts on how to correct this?

    assuming you're speaking about the Linksys WRT54G...

    i have the same issue with the Actiontec 802.11b NIC in my ThinkPad and the
    WRT54G Router/WAP, about the only thing that helps is to unplug the power
    from the router for several minutes (for some reason it locks-up if
    powered-off and back on too quickly), then restore factory defaults via the
    router's web interface.

    in my experience with a Linksys WRT54G Router, not good. i upgraded from
    the Linksys BEFW11S4 (802.11b) to the WRT54G (802.11g and 802.11b) with the
    intention of using both standards on my network, but i quickly discovered
    that 802.11b devices do not interoperate well with 802.11g devices and their
    connections to the Wireless-G router were consistently dropped and/or the
    speed and signal quality fluctuated considerably. i do not recommend the
    WRT54G router, it is garbage compared to some of Linksys' other products.
    having said that, Linksys has discontinued version 1 of the WRT54G router
    and has replaced it with what looks to be a completely different unit and
    called it Version 2, so who knows, maybe they've fixed the horrible mess
    that was WRT54G v1.

    there is a new firmware release for the WRT54G, which you can download from
    Linksys:

    http://www.linksys.com/download/firmware.asp?fwid=201

    i recommend the use of the AutoUpgrade utility, since it's easier to use and
    seems more reliable than using the router's web interface to perform the
    update:

    ftp://ftp.linksys.com/pub/network/WRT54GV2_2.04.3_US_code.exe

    you should also look for firmware and driver updates for your NetGear
    Wireless NIC
    http://kbserver.netgear.com/main.asp

    further to this, Windows XP Service Pack 2 (due for release in August) may
    fix some of these WiFi issues, apparently SP2 contains an overhaul of
    wireless networking code. if you are interested in obtaining the SP2
    Release Candidate, which may help with your WiFi woes,

    you may read about it here:
    http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/winxppro/sp2preview.mspx

    and download from here:
    http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/winxppro/maintain/sp2wuins.mspx

    or automatically via WindowsUpdate:
    http://v5.windowsupdate.microsoft.com/
    --
    francis

    Make sure there are no checkmarks on the IEEE authentication page in the Properties of your Network connection.

    "alewis1975" wrote:

    > i am rumming a linksys g router with netgear card... with win xp pro
    > every 5 minutes i loose connection
    > the xp wireless manager pops up and says i lost connection so i have to click the networl i want and it signs in again
    > any thoughts on how to correct this?
    > it just started about a week ago
    > thanks

Wireless Connection Windows XP Wireless Networking