I can't hotsync my Handspring Visor anymore...

kat

I can hear the computer blocking it when I hit the sync button on the cradle,
so I know the connection is fine. There's something in the computer blocking
it. I turned off the firewall on Windows, but it still is blocked...please
help!!

In news:3E803B39-27C7-4D45-A9CD-8B62D2BA4F8D@microsoft.com,
Kat <Kat@discussions.microsoft.com> typed:
> I can hear the computer blocking it when I hit the sync button on the
> cradle, so I know the connection is fine. There's something in the
> computer blocking it. I turned off the firewall on Windows, but it
> still is blocked...please help!!

What do you mean by 'hear the computer blocking it' ?
It isn't your firewall - and don't disable your firewall, ever, unless you
are also behind a hardware appliance protecting your computer from the
Internet. And I don't like to do this even then.

Do you have HotSync in your system tray, set up to connect to the kind of
connection you use - USB/Serial/etc.....and have you looked in Palm's help
pages?

Sparda

Distinguished
Jun 28, 2005

"" wrote:
> I can hear the computer blocking it when I hit the sync button
> on the cradle,
> so I know the connection is fine. There's something in the
> computer blocking
> it. I turned off the firewall on Windows, but it still is
> blocked...please
> help!!

Are you sure your Handspring Visor actualy uses TCP/IP communication
protacall to sync?

Topic URL: http://www.windowsforumz.com/Security-Admin-hotsync-Handspring-Visor-anymore-ftopict421038.html
Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg. req'd). Report abuse: http://www.windowsforumz.com/eform.php?p=1407230

kat

No - actually I don't think it does. I was just throwing that Firewall thing
out there in case someone replied with "try turning the firewall off". The
cradle plugs into the USB port and was working fine before my last Microsoft
update (I don't remember what exactly the update was). I guess I could
revert back to pre-update as a last resort (isn't there something in the
Microsoft update software that lets you revert back?). Anyway - suggestions
of any kind are greatly appreciated!!

Thanks.

"Sparda" wrote:

> "" wrote:
> > I can hear the computer blocking it when I hit the sync button
> > on the cradle,
> > so I know the connection is fine. There's something in the
> > computer blocking
> > it. I turned off the firewall on Windows, but it still is
> > blocked...please
> > help!!
>
> Are you sure your Handspring Visor actualy uses TCP/IP communication
> protacall to sync?

> Topic URL: http://www.windowsforumz.com/Security-Admin-hotsync-Handspring-Visor-anymore-ftopict421038.html
> Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg. req'd). Report abuse: http://www.windowsforumz.com/eform.php?p=1407230

kat

I have the hotsync manager in my system tray...it uses a USB connection and
everything was working fine prior to the Microsoft Update. That's why I
assumed the firewall was blocking it. Anyhow, as for "hearing" the computer
block it, when I hit the hotsync button on the cradle, I hear a couple of
beeps from the computer...it's the sound of the computer saying "NO"...sounds
kind of like a "bonk" sound (low pitch).

I looked on Palm's help pages, as well as Handspring's. I can't believe no
one else has had this problem, but I didn't find any help.

Thanks again for any help you can offer.

"Lanwench [MVP - Exchange]" wrote:

> In news:3E803B39-27C7-4D45-A9CD-8B62D2BA4F8D@microsoft.com,
> Kat <Kat@discussions.microsoft.com> typed:
> > I can hear the computer blocking it when I hit the sync button on the
> > cradle, so I know the connection is fine. There's something in the
> > computer blocking it. I turned off the firewall on Windows, but it
> > still is blocked...please help!!
>
> What do you mean by 'hear the computer blocking it' ?
> It isn't your firewall - and don't disable your firewall, ever, unless you
> are also behind a hardware appliance protecting your computer from the
> Internet. And I don't like to do this even then.
>
> Do you have HotSync in your system tray, set up to connect to the kind of
> connection you use - USB/Serial/etc.....and have you looked in Palm's help
> pages?

TechMaster

Distinguished
Sep 29, 2004
Make sure you have USB transfer enabled under your hotsync program.

Sometimes, Serial connection is inabled and therfore, no USB Sync.

Hope this helps!

TechMaster