No entries in Security Event Log

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.security,microsoft.public.windowsxp.security_admin (More info?)

I run XP Pro + all patches (except SP2). I do not use ICF.

I have never seen an entry in the Security Event Log.

Do I need to set something to enable logging?
2 answers Last reply
More about entries security event
  1. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.security,microsoft.public.windowsxp.security_admin (More info?)

    Hi Alex,

    > I have never seen an entry in the Security Event Log.
    >
    > Do I need to set something to enable logging?

    Go to Administrative Tools / Local Security Policy.
    In the treeview, open the Local Policies Node and Audit Policy nodes.
    In the right-hand side audit policies pane, you can now set succes and/or
    failure auditing for different categories of auditable events, by
    double-clicking on each of those categories.

    Cheers,
    Jan.
  2. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.security,microsoft.public.windowsxp.security_admin (More info?)

    > > "Alex Coleman" <coalie@nomail.com> wrote in message
    > >
    > > I have never seen an entry in the Security Event Log.
    > > Do I need to set something to enable logging?
    >

    > "Jan Spooren" <jspooren@nospam.nospam> wrote in
    > message news:%23X5A5rRuFHA.3756@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...
    >
    > Go to Administrative Tools / Local Security Policy.
    > In the treeview, open the Local Policies Node and Audit Policy nodes.
    > In the right-hand side audit policies pane, you can now set succes and/or
    > failure auditing for different categories of auditable events, by
    > double-clicking on each of those categories.

    Please note, you won't want to set an action for every event. I recommend
    installing Microsoft Baseline Security Analyzer (MBSA) and performing a
    scan of your machine. It will recommend which events to log as a good
    security baseline.

    MBSA can be found at http://www.microsoft.com/mbsa

    --
    AZC