Closed

Commodore Announces New Quad-core C64x Extreme

Last response: in News comments
November 6, 2011 7:12:13 PM

cool as oldschool hell... but $1500
pass
Score
November 6, 2011 7:13:32 PM

oh, and the optical drive should be in a 1541 case.
Score
November 6, 2011 7:28:17 PM

clonazepamsome good photos at http://hothardware.com/News/Commod [...] e-On-Sale/

Nice share.

I guess I'll have to say it...don't want to but really, I'm curious. CAN it run Crysis? I don't see a dedicated video card. Actually it's not Crysis I care about, it's the newer games...like BF3, MW3, Black Ops. I saw a guy play CoD4 online with an integrated graphics card from a laptop, it was a little choppy...not for me.
Score
November 6, 2011 7:28:19 PM

Win!
Score
November 6, 2011 7:40:35 PM

JOSHSKORNNice share.I guess I'll have to say it...don't want to but really, I'm curious. CAN it run Crysis? I don't see a dedicated video card. Actually it's not Crysis I care about, it's the newer games...like BF3, MW3, Black Ops. I saw a guy play CoD4 online with an integrated graphics card from a laptop, it was a little choppy...not for me.

Well, it has Linux on it.. so unless you dual boot or run through WINE, no.

On a related note, It makes me happy to see it's shipping with Linux:) 
Score
November 6, 2011 7:50:31 PM

tuch92Well, it has Linux on it.. so unless you dual boot or run through WINE, no. On a related note, It makes me happy to see it's shipping with Linux

Linux is dead. We know it because some idiot who writes a blog told us so, and Tom's reposted it so that we could all know about it.
Score
November 6, 2011 8:53:58 PM

Trying to compete with Alienware and the Razer Blade??
Hahaha
Score
November 6, 2011 8:58:18 PM

Just need to find a really ancient crt monitor, hopefully without any cigarette stains, and you're good to go...
Score
November 6, 2011 8:59:28 PM

Personally, I like the concept of it. It's a truly portable workstation you can take anywhere as long as you have a screen waiting for you.
Score
Anonymous
November 6, 2011 9:31:42 PM

Old news, TH.
Score
November 6, 2011 9:42:12 PM

But can it play Uridium? (Thumbs up if you remember that game)

I realize it is likely due to the size limit but the lack of a dedicated GPU makes it simply undesirable for that price nostalgia or not.
Score
November 6, 2011 9:55:39 PM

The next nostalgic release will include the older case designs of the Tandy 1000 and Packard Bell systems, though nowadays, they include rubberized chain-mail gauntlets for the squeamish system builders.
Score
November 6, 2011 10:26:10 PM

I actually still have my old Commodore 64 in my closet. Working condition with the box. Hopefully, it will be worth something in 30-40 years when I retire haha.
Score
November 6, 2011 11:01:56 PM

"The next nostalgic release will include the older case designs of the Tandy 1000 and Packard Bell systems"

Unlike PB, my C64-C was very reliable. I dont think too many people will be nostalgic for the malfunctioning messes that PB put out in the US.
Score
November 6, 2011 11:07:43 PM

I'd rather they did an Arm version for $500 with a Tegra 3 quad core SOC and a custom version of Linux. $
Score
November 6, 2011 11:25:47 PM

NuclearShadowBut can it play Uridium? (Thumbs up if you remember that game)I realize it is likely due to the size limit but the lack of a dedicated GPU makes it simply undesirable for that price nostalgia or not.
Maby with a PCI x16 felxable extender you could mod your own GPU into it... but why not start with an origanal and build it ground up??

Score
November 6, 2011 11:39:47 PM

they should have instilled an nvidia 480 mobile sli setup for that price
Score
November 7, 2011 1:44:45 AM

Why don't they attempt to market quality portable computers at a reasonable cost like the product that made the Commodore64 a classic? They actually could find a place in the world today for a device that wireless hooked up to your TV and did everything you need a computer to do for $200 (Atom CPU & Linux). Or $600 and put an i5-2310M and GT 540M in it (Windows Optional)?

Instead, they want to market an overpriced novelty item on nostalgia...I'm just saying that if I went through the trouble to produce it at all, I'd produce a product with a target market wider than "nerds who got rich in the 80's".
Score
November 7, 2011 2:01:04 AM

The price is understandable since it's entirely R&Dd and made in USA. Back in the day, average machine was this expensive ('80s). I still have 2 C64s one that works and second one for parts and 1541 with bunch of retail games. Emulator on my Mac Pro is OK, but nothing beats the sound of SID coming from the TV.
Score
November 7, 2011 2:43:55 AM

'Tis but thy name that is my enemy.
Thou art thyself, though not a Montague.
What’s Montague? It is nor hand, nor foot,
Nor arm, nor face, nor any other part
Belonging to a man. O, be some other name!
What’s in a name? That which we call a rose
By any other word would smell as sweet.
So Romeo would, were he not Romeo called,
Retain that dear perfection which he owes
Without that title. Romeo, doff thy name,
And for that name, which is no part of thee
Take all myself.

I'm pretty sure Juliet would agree that regardless of what they call this "thing", it's no Commodore 64. Commodore chose NOT to use the 8086 line when the created the 64. If it doesn't use something based on the 6502 (like the 6510), support sprites, and run 64 software natively, cost $600 or less, and make people wonder how something with so much memory costs so little, it's not a Commodore 64. Heck, if they had any sense of history, they'd at least have used ARM processors, which were at least partially based on the 6502.

A PC in drag is not a Commodore 64.
Score
November 7, 2011 2:45:06 AM

If the apps that came on the original C64 where updated to their current OS, and performance tests to show that it is faster than what I can build for $1499, then it might be a fit. Otherwise it fits into the same category as Appleware $$$$$$$$$$ for nothing.
Score
November 7, 2011 2:55:21 AM

That's a lot of money for an over-sized keyboard!
Score
November 7, 2011 3:35:02 AM

I agree, just who is gonna buy these things?
"Lets see, I want an extremely fast processor, 8 gigs of ram and no video card please."
Score
Anonymous
November 7, 2011 3:41:55 AM

I agree that C= was a hit in the 80s due to it's cheap computers.
When I think about it, they were games consoles packaged as a computer.
More parents agreed to buy their kids a computer in the hope that it's educational than a games console.
There would definitely be a market for an all-in-one to connect to your TV via HDMI, just to play movies, browse the web, play music, and ssshhh don't tell the parents ... play games on. Price would need to be under $500 in my opinion., no need to go for the breadbox design, make it more upto date in appearance.

Score
November 7, 2011 3:48:04 AM

Why don't they atop using the Commodore64's name - this is ridiculous. C64 was a unique kind of machine, with it's own personality and history. "Current" C64 is just another PC. It's like Amstrad, when they launched PCs with the Spectrum stab over it or like Apple nowadays. No personality, no something special, just a freaking PC.
Score
November 7, 2011 4:03:29 AM

Hmmmmmm are they trying to revive a Mummy?
Score
November 7, 2011 4:14:51 AM

teodorehWhy don't they atop using the Commodore64's name - this is ridiculous. C64 was a unique kind of machine, with it's own personality and history. "Current" C64 is just another PC. It's like Amstrad, when they launched PCs with the Spectrum stab over it or like Apple nowadays. No personality, no something special, just a freaking PC.

Why are the owners of the Commodore name allowing this?

Exploiting icons is all the rage today, no pride in anything, the greed factor today is really sickening.
Score
November 7, 2011 4:17:18 AM

I dont' need to spend that amount of money for that type of machine
Score
November 7, 2011 4:19:30 AM

ikyungI actually still have my old Commodore 64 in my closet. Working condition with the box. Hopefully, it will be worth something in 30-40 years when I retire haha.

C64s were so common, unless they are new in box, they're not worth much. I have at least four never used ones, and I'm hoping they go up too, but so far, not that much. It's never a machine I particularly liked, even when it came out it was kind of cheesy. I have VIC-20s too, and they're worth even less. Amigas are worth a lot, but liked them even less than other Commodore stuff, so don't have any. If you do, they'll probably go up as they get rarer.

If you've got Pentium Pros, they sell for a lot. Apparently, they have a lot of gold in them, so you can get $20 a pop EASILY. I sold 10 crappy ones in less than 10 minutes on eBay for $200. I still have five new ones (four with 1m cache, so they are way too cool to be sold for scrap), but if you any beaten up ones, now might be a good time to get what you can for them. If gold goes down, so will their value, since that seems to be what it is based on.

If you have a 68030 based Ataris, they are worth lots of money, even now. I'm guessing they'll also be worth holding on to, since people love those things, and they weren't nearly as common as the Amiga.

Score
November 7, 2011 4:19:33 AM

Well, I'm guessing all consumer desktops are all just PC's being that they are majority of the market is using some form of an X86/x64 compatible processor. I think its the nostalgia effect of the case styling and the ability to run the old C64 apps is what makes people want this computer. It the same reason why I'm willing to $2700 for a Apple workstation than for a comparable HP or Dell. Variety and choice drives the market. If someone really wanted to run C64 software any computer with a 486 or an 040 on up can emulate a c64. Personally I'd buy one if they make an Amiga A500 verison as it was my first computer.
Score
November 7, 2011 4:27:25 AM

legacy7955Why are the owners of the Commodore name allowing this? Exploiting icons is all the rage today, no pride in anything, the greed factor today is really sickening.

It's not the same Commodore as before. The name has been passed around like a bad flu, and the people that own it today have nothing to do with the people who made the 64. They just bought the name, with the intent to exploit it. Strangely, the Commodore name is worth something, despite always being a company held with little respect when they were made. But, for the price, they had memory, excellent graphics, and good sound. But, they were never a brand anyone took seriously, like IBM, Compaq, Apple or Tandy. Of those, only Apple is left standing (another toy computer company like Commodore, Atari, is also out of that business).
Score
November 7, 2011 5:22:43 AM

Funny, I remember them costing that much in 1987... Got a bundle for it though. Where's the old dot matrix & CRT? Kid you not, I have 2 of those dinosaur printers sitting in their boxes not 10 feet from me. Though I doubt I could get the ribbons for them any more. :( 
Score
November 7, 2011 5:30:44 AM

TA152HIt's not the same Commodore as before. The name has been passed around like a bad flu, and the people that own it today have nothing to do with the people who made the 64.

Funny, I don't see anyone else building new C64 case/keyboards. Say what you will, but the Commodore "name" is worthless if nothing is ever going to be done with it. The people that bought them new are getting too old to be interested, and the only people left are guys like us that grew up with it. At least they are trying retro inspired designs, AND more importantly, bringing products to market. The people that own the brand are doing now what the original company should have done then, innovate. What did the people who made the original c64 do with the commodore name after the business failed? And how would they contribute from the nursing homes they likely inhabit now some 30 years later anyway? You expect too much.
Score
November 7, 2011 5:59:53 AM

dark_knight33Funny, I don't see anyone else building new C64 case/keyboards. Say what you will, but the Commodore "name" is worthless if nothing is ever going to be done with it. The people that bought them new are getting too old to be interested, and the only people left are guys like us that grew up with it. At least they are trying retro inspired designs, AND more importantly, bringing products to market. The people that own the brand are doing now what the original company should have done then, innovate. What did the people who made the original c64 do with the commodore name after the business failed? And how would they contribute from the nursing homes they likely inhabit now some 30 years later anyway? You expect too much.

Just say no to drugs. What the Hell are you talking about?

What does this mean "The people that bought them new are getting too old to be interested, and the only people left are guys like us that grew up with it."

Original Commodore brought a lot of products to market. The Commodore 64 was innovative, in that it had a lot of memory (64K), good sound, sprites, and all for the very low price of $600. They even designed the processor (6510) from the 6502.

These new folks buy everything, and stick a case on it, and that's innovation to you? Are you kidding me? That compares to the original PET, the VIC-20, the failed B128s, and such, etc... A copied keyboard is more than that?

Again, just say no to drugs. You can if you try. Try.
Score
November 7, 2011 6:24:12 AM

Nice, I still got the Commodore 64 (the real one), might as well as fire her up! :D 
Score
November 7, 2011 9:41:52 AM

How did the writer keep a straight face writing this article? You get a $400 computer in a $1000 case. At least Apple writes good cheap software to go with their expensive hardware. Comodore was great...but you sir, are no Comodore.

Score
November 7, 2011 10:01:47 AM

Why? This is far more costly than ANY C=64 ever made... which originally sold for about $300.
Score
November 7, 2011 10:28:36 AM

TA152HIt's not the same Commodore as before. The name has been passed around like a bad flu~ Strangely, the Commodore name is worth something, despite always being a company held with little respect when they were made. But, they were never a brand anyone took seriously, like IBM, Compaq, Apple or Tandy.

Commodore was a serious PC company - somewhat. In Europe they sold the business CBM line... but it was the C=vic / C64 / C128 and Amigas that were popular.

There was nothing wrong with the hardware (in general) - but the management were STUPID! Keep in mind, the 6502 CPU used in Apples, Atari and C=64 computers were made by.... Commodore.

The AppleII was always sub-standard compared to the C=64 and easily killed by the C=128... yet sold for 1/4 the price. Profit vs Quantity.

The Amiga ran circles around the Macs. Multi-tasking, graphics, sound and again, 1/4 the price. I used to run MAC emulation on my Amigas for (A) fun and (B) for Pagemaker. It ran faster than a Mac with same CPU... :) 

MS-DOS... always garbage and never in the same league as Macintosh or Amiga.

Yeah, these guys are Amiga in name, only... and if someone wants to spend $1400 for a C64-PC, oh well - not my problem. I really don't see why it costs that much. The guts are standard. It costs about $15,000~20,000 to make the custom C64 molds and keyboards.

These guys apparently bought the Name and logos of anything Commodore as they are also release "Amiga" 1000~3000 HPC computers, which is VERY insulting.
Score
November 7, 2011 10:30:08 AM

PS: Their "photos" of the C64... are 3D renderings... so has anyone actually bought something from these clowns?
Score
November 7, 2011 11:43:21 AM

"Priced at $1499, this puppy isn't cheap, but you can't really put a price on nostalgia, can you?"

Yes. Yes I can. Especially since I just built a new rig and it has basically the same thing except a I7-2600k, half the drive space, and twice the memory and it still did not cost me $1500.
Score
November 7, 2011 11:55:54 AM

legacy7955Why are the owners of the Commodore name allowing this?
For the license fees they get for allowing use of the name.
Score
November 7, 2011 1:37:00 PM

Quote:
but want the extra oomph that the Atom-based model doesn't provide.

Ha. I see what you did there.
Score
November 7, 2011 1:44:46 PM

clonazepamJust need to find a really ancient crt monitor, hopefully without any cigarette stains, and you're good to go...

One of the best features of the commodore 64 and 128 is that they had a coaxe connector so you could use your TV as a monitor. When I was a kid I had a 12 inch tv with my comidore 64 plugged into it. I was pretty cool.
Score
November 7, 2011 2:16:21 PM

this was being advertised on their website last month. . .

This is like turning on CNN and seeing a report about how Pokemon Black and White are now on sale.
Score
November 7, 2011 5:07:06 PM

Garbage in garbage out
Score
November 7, 2011 7:48:47 PM

I'll stick to my C64 emulator, it's free and probably faster.
Score
!