Windows 7 Boot is slow!

ahthurungnone

Distinguished
Jun 9, 2010
During the last month, booting windows at startup is incredibly slow. I have ran Malwarebytes, Antivirus, CCleaner and deselected many statup programs and services in the MSCONFIG. I even turned off the desktop gadgets. However, none of this has helped.

The reason I know it is way too slow is because I have a slower self-built system and it boots almost instantaneously. Help!!!

sidewinderdt

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2009
Is it slow only during bootup or after you logon to Windows too? Check the hard drive for errors. Run chkdsk /r as well as hardware diagnostics from the drive manufacturer.

A quick test with HDTune should give you an idea of the state of the drive.

Also, defrag; fragmentation of boot files and system files can slow down bootup.

One more thing you can check is whether any virus scan is enabled for the bootup phase; this can delay things.

ahthurungnone

Distinguished
Jun 9, 2010
So I did some reading and found a program named Soluto that analyzes every process during startup. I found there were almost 20 processes that I could eliminate during boot which saved me 30 secs. Short of buying a faster processor (can't wait til the 1090T drops in price) and performing a clean install, I'm not sure what else I can do. If you can think of anything else, let me know.