Windows 7 Boot is slow!

During the last month, booting windows at startup is incredibly slow. I have ran Malwarebytes, Antivirus, CCleaner and deselected many statup programs and services in the MSCONFIG. I even turned off the desktop gadgets. However, none of this has helped.

The reason I know it is way too slow is because I have a slower self-built system and it boots almost instantaneously. Help!!!
11 answers Last reply
More about windows boot slow
  1. Check your startup files: start, all programs, startup.
    You may have programs in there that shouldn't be.
  2. he said he did that already
  3. defrag?
  4. SR-71 Blackbird said:
    defrag?

Sorry, read thru too fast. +1 to defrag/ disc cleanup.
  5. Nope, nothing is loading in the startup. I will run a defrag and see what happens. Let you know the results. Thanks.
  6. Is the rig you are experiencing probs with the 4.0GHc OC'd rig in your sig? It is entirely possible to corrupt a hard drive this way. You might try stock clocks/mem timings, and then a fresh install.
  7. Is it slow only during bootup or after you logon to Windows too? Check the hard drive for errors. Run chkdsk /r as well as hardware diagnostics from the drive manufacturer.

A quick test with HDTune should give you an idea of the state of the drive.

Also, defrag; fragmentation of boot files and system files can slow down bootup.

One more thing you can check is whether any virus scan is enabled for the bootup phase; this can delay things.
  8. The slowdown is when you login, not initial boot.

I did defrag the hard drive which helped a little. It may be the antivirus, so I will disable and see what happens. Thanks.
  9. what antivirus are you using?
  10. I am using Avast.
  11. So I did some reading and found a program named Soluto that analyzes every process during startup. I found there were almost 20 processes that I could eliminate during boot which saved me 30 secs. Short of buying a faster processor (can't wait til the 1090T drops in price) and performing a clean install, I'm not sure what else I can do. If you can think of anything else, let me know.
Ask a new question

Read More

Windows 7 Boot Product