Norton Ghost 2003 and support for the NEC2500 DVD Writer

I have a NEC2500A DVD Writer and wish to create backups and system
images on DVD. I am considering Norton Ghost 2003, but can find no
reference to it supporting the NEC2500 drive. Does anybody have
experience or information, please?

peter

Norton Ghost 2003 does not support NEC 2500 DVD Writer.
List of supported drives is here:
http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT/ghost.nsf/docid/2002030414141625

"Peter" <peterfoxghost@yahoo.ca> wrote in message news:<G_Y9c.1079$j57.290257@news20.bellglobal.com>...
> Norton Ghost 2003 does not support NEC 2500 DVD Writer.
> List of supported drives is here:
> http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT/ghost.nsf/docid/2002030414141625
>
> "Andrew Wager" <andrew@acwager.co.uk> wrote in message
> > I have a NEC2500A DVD Writer and wish to create backups and system
> > images on DVD. I am considering Norton Ghost 2003, but can find no
> > reference to it supporting the NEC2500 drive. Does anybody have
> > experience or information, please?

Well - I tried it and it appears to work perfectly. Is there some
nasty problem lurking in the future? The list at Symantec lists
supported drives but doesn't tell which drive positievely don't work.

peter

That is correct. If DVD is listed on Norton Ghost 2003 page, it will most
likely work, and you are entitled to Symantec tech support. If it is not
listed, it might work, but for sure you won't get any support.
Even DVD drives listed with current version of Ghost are not guaranteed to
be on the list of supported drives in the future releases of Ghost software.
But more new models will be supported, for sure.
Symantec does not publish a list of drives which failed to work with Ghost,
for obvious reasons.

I do not use direct burn from Ghost to CD/DVD. It is a waste of time and
money. Try to image 80GB disk to CDs or even DVDs, and then verify if image
is uncorrupted. It will take tens of DVDs and more than 5 hours of your
time. Instead I perform a scheduled unattended disk image dumps to my
network share. Later, I can choose when is time to burn those images to
CD/DVDs using my trusty burn software. Another hard disk is cheaper than
DVDs and your time combined.

"Andrew Wager" <andrew@acwager.co.uk> wrote in message news:b8ad13bf.0404080556.4a3b8071@posting.google.com...
> "Peter" <peterfoxghost@yahoo.ca> wrote in message news:<G_Y9c.1079$j57.290257@news20.bellglobal.com>...
> > Norton Ghost 2003 does not support NEC 2500 DVD Writer.
> > List of supported drives is here:
> > http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT/ghost.nsf/docid/2002030414141625
> >
> > "Andrew Wager" <andrew@acwager.co.uk> wrote in message
> > > I have a NEC2500A DVD Writer and wish to create backups and system
> > > images on DVD. I am considering Norton Ghost 2003, but can find no
> > > reference to it supporting the NEC2500 drive. Does anybody have
> > > experience or information, please?

> Well - I tried it and it appears to work perfectly.
> Is there some nasty problem lurking in the future?

Unlikely.

> The list at Symantec lists supported drives but
> doesn't tell which drive positievely don't work.

Yeah, that would be a better approach, two lists.