Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

hard disc encryption windows

Last response: in Storage
Share
Anonymous
a b G Storage
March 29, 2004 4:20:45 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage (More info?)

Hi!

I am looking for tools which offer the possibility to encrypt partitions
on PCs running WINDOWS2000/XP.

any hints on this would be greatly apreciated,
thanx in advance!

best regrads,
Hans Pesata

------------------------------------------------------

My eMail-address has been changed due to spam.
eMail-replies can be sent to hpesata@chello.at
Anonymous
a b G Storage
March 29, 2004 4:20:46 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage (More info?)

XP Pro will do it for you, at the folder level:

To encrypt a file or folder

1.. Open Windows Explorer.
2.. Right-click the file or folder that you want to encrypt, and then
click Properties.
3.. On the General tab, click Advanced.
4.. Select the Encrypt contents to secure data check box.
Tom
"Hans Pesata" <dummy.user@dummy.com> wrote in message
news:xwU9c.286402$Or1.285164@news.chello.at...
> Hi!
>
> I am looking for tools which offer the possibility to encrypt partitions
> on PCs running WINDOWS2000/XP.
>
> any hints on this would be greatly apreciated,
> thanx in advance!
>
> best regrads,
> Hans Pesata
>
> ------------------------------------------------------
>
> My eMail-address has been changed due to spam.
> eMail-replies can be sent to hpesata@chello.at
>
>
>
>


begin 666 shortcutCold.gif
M1TE&.#EA"0`)`*(``(AZA68)>\#<P+_4OH" @ ```````````"P`````"0`)
B```#'$@$W"HCR##>B+*2.ZG"E+=EEQ9=0OI%J:J\< (`.P``
`
end
Anonymous
a b G Storage
March 29, 2004 6:01:02 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage (More info?)

BestCrypt is good.

http://www.jetico.com/bcrypt7.htm

Hans Pesata wrote:
>
> I am looking for tools which offer the possibility to encrypt partitions
> on PCs running WINDOWS2000/XP.
>
> any hints on this would be greatly apreciated,
> thanx in advance!
Related resources
Anonymous
a b G Storage
April 1, 2004 12:19:41 AM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage (More info?)

Hi!

Thanx for the replies!

I need a software to protect data stored on notebooks.
if one of these noteboosk gets stolen, NOBODY should be able to read the
files on it.

thanx in advance for any further suggestions!

best regrads,
Hans Pesata

------------------------------------------------------

My eMail-address has been changed due to spam.
eMail-replies can be sent to hpesata@chello.at
Anonymous
a b G Storage
April 1, 2004 11:27:12 AM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage (More info?)

In article <xwU9c.286402$Or1.285164@news.chello.at>,
Hans Pesata <dummy.user@dummy.com> wrote:
>I am looking for tools which offer the possibility to encrypt partitions
>on PCs running WINDOWS2000/XP.

SeNTry 2020 will create a disk file of any size you choose, and it
builds an encrypted file system into it.

I think it's a great product. Although, I'd like it better if it did
SHA-256 encryption.
--
David Arnstein arnstein+usenet@pobox.com
--
Spammers: thank you for training my filters. You are all doing a
wonderful job. Keep up the good work!
Anonymous
a b G Storage
April 1, 2004 11:35:09 AM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage (More info?)

In article <c4gg8g$j5r$1@reader1.panix.com>,
David Arnstein <arnstein+usenet@pobox.com> wrote:
>SeNTry 2020 will create a disk file of any size you choose, and it
>builds an encrypted file system into it.

I forgot the web page:
http://www.softwinter.com

I just looked at the Jetico web pile. Their encryption product seems
quite similar to SeNTry 2020. Nice to have a choice.
--
David Arnstein arnstein+usenet@pobox.com
--
Spammers: thank you for training my filters. You are all doing a
wonderful job. Keep up the good work!
Anonymous
a b G Storage
April 1, 2004 1:45:08 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage (More info?)

Hans Pesata <dummy.user@dummy.com> wrote in message
news:xJFac.320779$Or1.239127@news.chello.at...

> Thanx for the replies!

> I need a software to protect data stored on notebooks.
> if one of these noteboosk gets stolen, NOBODY should
> be able to read the files on it.

If you want it secure enough so that the legal authoritys
cant see the child porn, you have a problem.

> thanx in advance for any further suggestions!
Anonymous
a b G Storage
April 4, 2004 12:14:25 AM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage (More info?)

In article <rO-dnWqSdr5lvfXdRVn-hw@comcast.com>,
tomtoo@softhome.net says...
> XP Pro will do it for you, at the folder level:
>
> To encrypt a file or folder
>
> 1.. Open Windows Explorer.
> 2.. Right-click the file or folder that you want to encrypt, and then
> click Properties.
> 3.. On the General tab, click Advanced.
> 4.. Select the Encrypt contents to secure data check box.

Caveats (or warnings):

- if you re-install Windows, you won't be able to
decrypt your encrypted files
- if you move the disc to another system, you won't be
able to read the files

There are ways to backup your EFS encryption keys... so
good luck.
Anonymous
a b G Storage
April 4, 2004 12:19:18 AM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage (More info?)

In article <xJFac.320779$Or1.239127@news.chello.at>,
dummy.user@dummy.com says...
> Hi!
>
> Thanx for the replies!
>
> I need a software to protect data stored on notebooks.
> if one of these noteboosk gets stolen, NOBODY should be able to read the
> files on it.
>
> thanx in advance for any further suggestions!
>

EFS works well as a down-n-dirty method... just make
sure you have non-encrypted backups of anything you've
encrypted. (Unless you extract, and test, the private
keys used by EFS...)

PGPDisk and DriveCrypt work well by creating virtual
volume files on the disk that can be attached as a new
drive letter, or a new mount point in an empty folder.
(e.g. MyStuff.PGD can be mounted as P: or as C:\MyStuff
\). Advantage of virtual volumes are that they can be
mounted as needed, reducing the window of exposure.
Downsides are that they have to be unmounted to be
backed up (unless you have a 2nd encrypted volume that
you copy the files to on another machine), and WinXP
doesn't like drives that mount/unmount (encrypted
volumes may not always show up in Windows Explorer).

For financial records, encrypted volumes are a good
choice, mounting only when needed, and backing them off
to archival media (CD/DVD) occasionally. Make the
volume a tiny bit smaller then the media size (200Mb,
680Mb, 4200Mb) and create a PAR2 (QuickPar) recover set
to fill out the rest of the disc.

For access instructions (passwords), I store them in a
plain text file, but encrypt the contents using GPG/PGP.
Even if the box is cracked / trojaned and the data
siphoned off, the contents of the file are still
encrypted.

Also see the alt.security.pgp newsgroup.
Anonymous
a b G Storage
April 5, 2004 8:45:08 AM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage (More info?)

If you use a backup utility designed at least for Windows 2000, an encrypted
file is still saved encrypted (raw info plus encrypted key).

"Toshi1873" <toshi1873@nowhere.com> wrote in message
news:MPG.1ad92c9e35e9d297989819@news-50.giganews.com...
> In article <xJFac.320779$Or1.239127@news.chello.at>,
> dummy.user@dummy.com says...
> > Hi!
> >
> > Thanx for the replies!
> >
> > I need a software to protect data stored on notebooks.
> > if one of these noteboosk gets stolen, NOBODY should be able to read the
> > files on it.
> >
> > thanx in advance for any further suggestions!
> >
>
> EFS works well as a down-n-dirty method... just make
> sure you have non-encrypted backups of anything you've
> encrypted. (Unless you extract, and test, the private
> keys used by EFS...)
>
!