hard disc encryption windows

Hi!

I am looking for tools which offer the possibility to encrypt partitions
on PCs running WINDOWS2000/XP.

any hints on this would be greatly apreciated,
thanx in advance!

best regrads,
Hans Pesata

My eMail-address has been changed due to spam.
eMail-replies can be sent to hpesata@chello.at
9 answers Last reply
More about hard disc encryption windows

    XP Pro will do it for you, at the folder level:

    To encrypt a file or folder

    1.. Open Windows Explorer.
    2.. Right-click the file or folder that you want to encrypt, and then
    click Properties.
    3.. On the General tab, click Advanced.
    4.. Select the Encrypt contents to secure data check box.
    Tom
    "Hans Pesata" <dummy.user@dummy.com> wrote in message
    > Hi!
    >
    > I am looking for tools which offer the possibility to encrypt partitions
    > on PCs running WINDOWS2000/XP.
    >
    > any hints on this would be greatly apreciated,
    > thanx in advance!
    >
    > best regrads,
    > Hans Pesata

    > My eMail-address has been changed due to spam.
    > eMail-replies can be sent to hpesata@chello.at

    begin 666 shortcutCold.gif
    M1TE&.#EA"0`)`*(``(AZA68)>\#<P+_4OH" @ ```````````"P`````"0`)
    B```#'$@$W"HCR##>B+*2.ZG"E+=EEQ9=0OI%J:J\< (`.P``
    `
    end

    BestCrypt is good.

    http://www.jetico.com/bcrypt7.htm

    Hans Pesata wrote:

    > I am looking for tools which offer the possibility to encrypt partitions
    > on PCs running WINDOWS2000/XP.
    >
    > any hints on this would be greatly apreciated,
    > thanx in advance!

    Hi!

    Thanx for the replies!

    I need a software to protect data stored on notebooks.
    if one of these noteboosk gets stolen, NOBODY should be able to read the
    files on it.

    thanx in advance for any further suggestions!

    In article <xwU9c.286402$Or1.285164@news.chello.at>,
    Hans Pesata <dummy.user@dummy.com> wrote:
    >I am looking for tools which offer the possibility to encrypt partitions
    >on PCs running WINDOWS2000/XP.

    SeNTry 2020 will create a disk file of any size you choose, and it
    builds an encrypted file system into it.

    I think it's a great product. Although, I'd like it better if it did
    SHA-256 encryption.
    --
    David Arnstein arnstein+usenet@pobox.com
    --

    In article <c4gg8g$j5r$1@reader1.panix.com>,
    David Arnstein <arnstein+usenet@pobox.com> wrote:
    >SeNTry 2020 will create a disk file of any size you choose, and it
    >builds an encrypted file system into it.

    I forgot the web page:
    http://www.softwinter.com

    I just looked at the Jetico web pile. Their encryption product seems
    quite similar to SeNTry 2020. Nice to have a choice.
    --

    > Thanx for the replies!

    > I need a software to protect data stored on notebooks.
    > if one of these noteboosk gets stolen, NOBODY should
    > be able to read the files on it.

    If you want it secure enough so that the legal authoritys
    cant see the child porn, you have a problem.

    In article <rO-dnWqSdr5lvfXdRVn-hw@comcast.com>,
    tomtoo@softhome.net says...
    > XP Pro will do it for you, at the folder level:
    >
    > To encrypt a file or folder
    >
    > 1.. Open Windows Explorer.
    > 2.. Right-click the file or folder that you want to encrypt, and then
    > click Properties.
    > 3.. On the General tab, click Advanced.
    > 4.. Select the Encrypt contents to secure data check box.

    Caveats (or warnings):

    - if you re-install Windows, you won't be able to
    decrypt your encrypted files
    - if you move the disc to another system, you won't be
    able to read the files

    There are ways to backup your EFS encryption keys... so
    good luck.

    In article <xJFac.320779$Or1.239127@news.chello.at>,
    dummy.user@dummy.com says...
    > Hi!
    >
    > Thanx for the replies!
    >
    > I need a software to protect data stored on notebooks.
    > if one of these noteboosk gets stolen, NOBODY should be able to read the
    > files on it.
    >
    > thanx in advance for any further suggestions!

    EFS works well as a down-n-dirty method... just make
    sure you have non-encrypted backups of anything you've
    encrypted. (Unless you extract, and test, the private
    keys used by EFS...)

    PGPDisk and DriveCrypt work well by creating virtual
    volume files on the disk that can be attached as a new
    drive letter, or a new mount point in an empty folder.
    (e.g. MyStuff.PGD can be mounted as P: or as C:\MyStuff
    \). Advantage of virtual volumes are that they can be
    mounted as needed, reducing the window of exposure.
    Downsides are that they have to be unmounted to be
    backed up (unless you have a 2nd encrypted volume that
    you copy the files to on another machine), and WinXP
    doesn't like drives that mount/unmount (encrypted
    volumes may not always show up in Windows Explorer).

    For financial records, encrypted volumes are a good
    choice, mounting only when needed, and backing them off
    to archival media (CD/DVD) occasionally. Make the
    volume a tiny bit smaller then the media size (200Mb,
    680Mb, 4200Mb) and create a PAR2 (QuickPar) recover set
    to fill out the rest of the disc.

    For access instructions (passwords), I store them in a
    plain text file, but encrypt the contents using GPG/PGP.
    Even if the box is cracked / trojaned and the data
    siphoned off, the contents of the file are still
    encrypted.

    Also see the alt.security.pgp newsgroup.

    If you use a backup utility designed at least for Windows 2000, an encrypted
    file is still saved encrypted (raw info plus encrypted key).

    "Toshi1873" <toshi1873@nowhere.com> wrote in message
    > In article <xJFac.320779$Or1.239127@news.chello.at>,
    > dummy.user@dummy.com says...
    > > Hi!
    > >
    > > Thanx for the replies!
    > >
    > > I need a software to protect data stored on notebooks.
    > > if one of these noteboosk gets stolen, NOBODY should be able to read the
    > > files on it.
    > >
    > > thanx in advance for any further suggestions!
    > >

    > EFS works well as a down-n-dirty method... just make
    > sure you have non-encrypted backups of anything you've
    > encrypted. (Unless you extract, and test, the private
    > keys used by EFS...)

Encryption Email Storage