fred

I have a Hitachi 120GB hard drive and recently I have started to hear
a little bit of clicking from my hard drive when using my computer. My
computer has also gotten just a little bit slower recently, I don't
know if it's a bloated registry problem or something like that(I run
windows xp). I have lost hard drives before and I know sometimes they
cilck a lot when they go dead, should I be worrying? I've had the hard
drive for about 8 months and I use my computer a lot.

cjt

Fred wrote:

> I have a Hitachi 120GB hard drive and recently I have started to hear
> a little bit of clicking from my hard drive when using my computer. My
> computer has also gotten just a little bit slower recently, I don't
> know if it's a bloated registry problem or something like that(I run
> windows xp). I have lost hard drives before and I know sometimes they
> cilck a lot when they go dead, should I be worrying? I've had the hard
> drive for about 8 months and I use my computer a lot.

Do a Google search on the IBM "click of death" and I think you'll see
you're not the first to encounter this problem. You might even add
"class action lawsuit" to your search.

As you probably know, Hitachi bought IBM's disk drive business.

"CJT" <abujlehc@prodigy.net> wrote in message

> Do a Google search on the IBM "click of death" and...

Na. Do a backup NOW.

groove

CWatters said this...
> Na. Do a backup NOW.

Damn right. If not sooner.

--
º~ dªv¡d ~º

fred

Ok, I've backed up all my important stuff. It's still only slight
clicking and only sometimes so I don't know how long it'll take to go
bad if it really is bad. Is there any program that can analyze this
sort of problem?

Fred <543@21.com> wrote in message

> Ok, I've backed up all my important stuff. It's still only
> slight clicking and only sometimes so I don't know how
> long it'll take to go bad if it really is bad. Is there any
> program that can analyze this sort of problem?

Have a look at the SMART data with something like
http://www.passmark.com/products/diskcheckup.htm
and run DFT on the drive too.
http://www.hitachigst.com/hdd/support/download.htm#DFT

"Fred" <543@21.com> wrote in message

> so I don't know how long it'll take to go bad....

How many days left on the warranty? Probably one more than that :-(

> "Fred" <543@21.com> wrote in message
>
> > so I don't know how long it'll take to go bad....
>
> How many days left on the warranty? Probably one more than that :-(

Seriously though. I think you said it was 8 months old. I would investigate
getting it replaced. If you can afford it you might consider buying a new
drive and copying over the contents while it's still working. Use the
replacement drive as a backup?