Reading serial numbers from RAIDed drives?

Hi there,

(This question is Windows 2000/XP specific, so it might be a bit
off-topic. If it is, could you please direct me to a better newsgroup
to post it in? Thanks.)

I'm trying to find a way either to retrieve a serial number from a
RAID controller, or to be able to 'see through it' and directly query
the drives it controls (to retrieve their model, serial number, etc).
This needs to be done on Windows 2000 and XP (I don't care about NT,
98, etc.).

Can anyone help me in this endeavour? I'd be very grateful.

Thanks,

--
Colen McAlister
demandred at skrill dot org

"Colen McAlister" wrote
> I'm trying to find a way either to retrieve a serial number from a
> RAID controller, or to be able to 'see through it' and directly query
> the drives it controls (to retrieve their model, serial number, etc).
> This needs to be done on Windows 2000 and XP (I don't care about NT,
> 98, etc.).

Hi,
It depends what type of system you are running, but on my last AMD system I
used some Western-Digital software that would let me see the serial numbers
on the drives. Now I am building a P4 system, and that has some software
called IAA Raid-Edition, which also lets me see the serial numbers. . . .

What hard-disks are you using?
--
Wayne ][
<Sign on door reads: Please Do No Disturb! Pentium 4 assembly in progress!>

"Wayne Youngman" <waynes.spamtrap@tiscali.co.uk> wrote in message news:<406933b4$1_2@mk-nntp-2.news.uk.tiscali.com>...
> "Colen McAlister" wrote
> > I'm trying to find a way either to retrieve a serial number from a
> > RAID controller, or to be able to 'see through it' and directly query
> > the drives it controls (to retrieve their model, serial number, etc).
> > This needs to be done on Windows 2000 and XP (I don't care about NT,
> > 98, etc.).
>

> Hi,
> It depends what type of system you are running, but on my last AMD system I
> used some Western-Digital software that would let me see the serial numbers
> on the drives. Now I am building a P4 system, and that has some software
> called IAA Raid-Edition, which also lets me see the serial numbers. . . .
>
> What hard-disks are you using?

I personally am using a pair of Western Digital something or others on
an A7N8X motherboard. I'm more looking for a way to do this
programatically, so that I can do it on (in theory) any computer that
has RAID to find out the drive serial numbers.

Thanks,

--
Colen McAlister
demandred at skrill dot org