100MBit network not at top notch

zazoo

Distinguished
Sep 26, 2001
Hi,
I am having some trouble with my network and was wondering if you would have any ideas for an answer.
It's a relatively small network of 7 computers, all using the linksys LNE100TX fast ethernet adapter. the machine acting as server is a red hat 7.1 linux machine, and the rest are win 98 se. cabling is cat5e and all these are being connected by a linksys 16 port 10/100 workgroup switch. the switch, and all the NICs, report the connection to be at 100. However, when i transfer files between computers (by ftp) the speed never reaches anywhere near the 100 megabit point. The clients report the connection as being about 1.2 mbytes per second (about 10MBit). Is there any reason for my network not to be running at the speed it is supposed to?? I would like to see transfers between hosts reaching at least 10 mbytes per second, and not 10 mbits :)

any suggestions would be greatly appreciated,

Zazoo.

jihiggs

Splendid
Oct 11, 2001
get some kind of network bench mark program, i dont know of any off hand. its possible that the computers themselves are slowing things down, slow hard drive, dma not turned on...

my computer is so fast, it completes an endless loop in less than 4 seconds!

folken

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2002
if your transfering files between computers on you network why do you use ftp? why not just share folders and access them on other computers via network neighborhood? or is that what you mean by ftp?

zazoo

Distinguished
Sep 26, 2001
i normally use samba and filesharing... that doesn't change the fact that the transfer is still 1/10 of what it should be. ftp just permits me to see a quantitative value for the speed at which i'm transmitting

Zazoo.