Why so many connectors for SATA power?

Why does a SATA drive have so many connectors for the power supply?

Why does the SATA spec seem to specify so many connectors? (I think there
are 15.)
8 answers Last reply
More about connectors sata power

    John Smith wrote:

    > Why does a SATA drive have so many connectors for the power supply?
    >
    > Why does the SATA spec seem to specify so many connectors? (I think there
    > are 15.)

    ??? There's only one SATA power connector on any drive that I've examined.
    Do you mean contacts? If so I suspect it's to allow a relatively small
    wire size for the individual conductors.

    --
    --John
    (was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)

    Previously John Smith <m@ixo.com> wrote:
    > Why does a SATA drive have so many connectors for the power supply?

    > Why does the SATA spec seem to specify so many connectors? (I think there
    > are 15.)

    I you mean "contacts", simple:
    The standard molex connectors are rated for 5A. The thin wire
    pressing on PCB-style connectors can take maybe 1A or less per
    contact, so you have to use several.

    Underlying reason may be that they did not want to use
    any existing connectors and wanted the power connector
    to match the data connector as closely as possible.

    Arno

    Arno Wagner wrote:

    > Previously John Smith <m@ixo.com> wrote:
    >> Why does a SATA drive have so many connectors for the power supply?
    >
    >> Why does the SATA spec seem to specify so many connectors? (I think
    >> there are 15.)
    >
    > I you mean "contacts", simple:
    > The standard molex connectors are rated for 5A. The thin wire
    > pressing on PCB-style connectors can take maybe 1A or less per
    > contact, so you have to use several.
    >
    > Underlying reason may be that they did not want to use
    > any existing connectors and wanted the power connector
    > to match the data connector as closely as possible.

    Bear in mind that SATA is intended to be hot-swappable. That means
    connectors amenable to easy plugging into and unplugging from a backplane.
    They could probably have used some variant on the SCA connector but that
    would have far more contacts than SATA needs and would allow SATA drives to
    be easily confused with SCA drives, neither of which is a particularly
    desirable state of affairs.

    --

    John Smith <m@ixo.com> wrote in message

    > Why does a SATA drive have so many connectors for the power supply?

    Basically for convenience when so many systems dont have SATA
    power available from the power supply. And that isnt just a matter
    of the mechanical detail so a purely mechanical adapter can be used,
    the older ATA power connector doesnt have 3.3V available at all.

    > Why does the SATA spec seem to specify so many connectors?
    > (I think there are 15.)

    You mean connections, not connectors. There are just two power
    connectors, the SATA power connector and the legacy power connector.

    There are duplicates of all the connectors in the SATA
    connector, just like there is with the power connector
    to the motherboard, basically to share the load over a
    number of connections and so the current thru each one.

    There is also a precharge/2nd mate for each voltage.
    That basically sequences the connection for that voltage.

    There are basically 4 voltages, OV, 3.3V, 5V, 12V and
    3 connections for each voltage, 5 grounds, and one reserved.

    Previously J. Clarke <jclarke@nospam.invalid> wrote:
    > Arno Wagner wrote:

    >> Previously John Smith <m@ixo.com> wrote:
    >>> Why does a SATA drive have so many connectors for the power supply?
    >>
    >>> Why does the SATA spec seem to specify so many connectors? (I think
    >>> there are 15.)
    >>
    >> I you mean "contacts", simple:
    >> The standard molex connectors are rated for 5A. The thin wire
    >> pressing on PCB-style connectors can take maybe 1A or less per
    >> contact, so you have to use several.
    >>
    >> Underlying reason may be that they did not want to use
    >> any existing connectors and wanted the power connector
    >> to match the data connector as closely as possible.

    > Bear in mind that SATA is intended to be hot-swappable. That means
    > connectors amenable to easy plugging into and unplugging from a backplane.
    > They could probably have used some variant on the SCA connector but that
    > would have far more contacts than SATA needs and would allow SATA drives to
    > be easily confused with SCA drives, neither of which is a particularly
    > desirable state of affairs.

    Yes, that could be it. Hot-plugging is a newer trend, so the choice of
    existing _cheap_ connectors was possibly very limited. Same problem perhaps
    when they used a new system for the USB and Firewire connectrs...

    And you want to avoid the case where some existing hardware uses
    the same connector with possible disastrous effects if somebody
    plugs it in...

    Arno

    "J. Clarke" <jclarke@nospam.invalid> wrote in message news:c4ggeb0aeo@news1.newsguy.com
    > Arno Wagner wrote:
    >
    > > Previously John Smith <m@ixo.com> wrote:
    > > > Why does a SATA drive have so many connectors for the power supply?
    > >
    > > > Why does the SATA spec seem to specify so many connectors? (I think
    > > > there are 15.)
    > >
    > > I you mean "contacts", simple:
    > > The standard molex connectors are rated for 5A. The thin wire
    > > pressing on PCB-style connectors can take maybe 1A or less per
    > > contact, so you have to use several.
    > >
    > > Underlying reason may be that they did not want to use
    > > any existing connectors and wanted the power connector
    > > to match the data connector as closely as possible.
    >
    > Bear in mind that SATA is intended to be hot-swappable. That means
    > connectors amenable to easy plugging into and unplugging from a backplane.
    > They could probably have used some variant on the SCA connector but that
    > would have far more contacts than SATA needs

    Not if they used a SCA40 variant.

    > and would allow SATA drives to be easily confused with SCA drives,

    Not if they used a 'variant'.

    "Arno Wagner" <me@privacy.net> wrote in message news:c4h8mi$2im7ae$1@ID-2964.news.uni-berlin.de
    > Previously J. Clarke <jclarke@nospam.invalid> wrote:
    > > Arno Wagner wrote:

    > > > I you mean "contacts", simple:
    > > > The standard molex connectors are rated for 5A. The thin wire
    > > > pressing on PCB-style connectors can take maybe 1A or less per
    > > > contact, so you have to use several.
    > > >
    > > > Underlying reason may be that they did not want to use
    > > > any existing connectors and wanted the power connector
    > > > to match the data connector as closely as possible.
    >
    > > Bear in mind that SATA is intended to be hot-swappable. That means
    > > connectors amenable to easy plugging into and unplugging from a backplane.
    > > They could probably have used some variant on the SCA connector but that
    > > would have far more contacts than SATA needs and would allow SATA drives
    > > to be easily confused with SCA drives, neither of which is a particularly
    > > desirable state of affairs.
    >
    > Yes, that could be it.

    > Hot-plugging is a newer trend,

    'Clue'less.

    > so the choice of
    > existing _cheap_ connectors was possibly very limited. Same problem perhaps
    > when they used a new system for the USB and Firewire connectors...
    >
    > And you want to avoid the case where some existing hardware uses the
    > same connector with possible disastrous effects if somebody plugs it in...

    That's why you don't do that (preferably) or make sure they differ in some
    way or other so that they can't be interchanged. Simplest would be to mount it upside down.

    And lots of removable trays used the same 50pin centronics connector
    for IDE as well as SCSI.

    Previously Folkert Rienstra <see_reply-to@myweb.nl> wrote:
    > "Arno Wagner" <me@privacy.net> wrote in message news:c4h8mi$2im7ae$1@ID-2964.news.uni-berlin.de
    >> Previously J. Clarke <jclarke@nospam.invalid> wrote:

    >> > Bear in mind that SATA is intended to be hot-swappable. That means
    >> > connectors amenable to easy plugging into and unplugging from a backplane.
    >> > They could probably have used some variant on the SCA connector but that
    >> > would have far more contacts than SATA needs and would allow SATA drives
    >> > to be easily confused with SCA drives, neither of which is a particularly
    >> > desirable state of affairs.
    >>
    >> Yes, that could be it.

    >> Hot-plugging is a newer trend,

    > 'Clue'less.

    Thanks, and the same back to you.

    >> so the choice of
    >> existing _cheap_ connectors was possibly very limited. Same problem perhaps
    >> when they used a new system for the USB and Firewire connectors...
    >>
    >> And you want to avoid the case where some existing hardware uses the
    >> same connector with possible disastrous effects if somebody plugs it in...

    > That's why you don't do that (preferably) or make sure they differ in some
    > way or other so that they can't be interchanged. Simplest would be
    > to mount it upside down.

    See above.

    > And lots of removable trays used the same 50pin centronics connector
    > for IDE as well as SCSI.

    That is called "shoddy design".

    Arno

Hardware SATA Power Supplies Storage Power