Hard Disk Wrongly Reporting Partitions

Last response: in Storage
a b G Storage
April 1, 2004 12:54:28 AM

Hi;
Until recently I had a 40Gb hard disk.
I replaced that with a 120Gb disk and installed - and formatted the old one
as a data disk.

Using Paragon Partition Manager I see that I now have - on the 40Gb disk:
Primary 37Gb OK - (This was the main partition when it was the only disk in
my system)
Primary 812Gb System Invalid
Primary 259Gb System Invalid
Primary 0b System Invalid

and no more free space for another partition.
Can I reset the last 3Gb to be usable & get rid of the Invalid partitions,
or am I stuck?

Help Please?

Regards
Bob
Anonymous
a b G Storage
April 1, 2004 1:43:11 PM

Bob Hallsworth <REME@spamex.com> wrote in
message news:c4fb64$ree$1@sparta.btinternet.com...

> Until recently I had a 40Gb hard disk.
> I replaced that with a 120Gb disk and installed
> - and formatted the old one as a data disk.

Using what to reformat it ?

> Using Paragon Partition Manager I see
> that I now have - on the 40Gb disk:
> Primary 37Gb OK -
> (This was the main partition
> when it was the only disk in my system)
> Primary 812Gb System Invalid
> Primary 259Gb System Invalid
> Primary 0b System Invalid

> and no more free space for another partition.
> Can I reset the last 3Gb to be usable

There may well not be any 'last 3G'

The 40G the drive manufacturer claims is using decimal
GBs and the 37GB is likely using binary GBs and thats
just two different ways of stating the same space.

> & get rid of the Invalid partitions, or am I stuck?

I'd wipe it with clearhdd from
http://www.samsung.com/Products/HardDiskDrive/utilities...
and partition and format it again from scratch. That will lose the data tho.

You should be able to manually edit away the dud partition table entrys.

> Help Please?
Anonymous
a b G Storage
April 1, 2004 10:02:48 PM

Hi Rod;

Spot on - On both counts. clearhdd did the trick & The usable size remained
as was.

Very grateful
Bob