Western Digital's warranty on replacement drive

Last response: in Storage
Share
April 1, 2004 7:39:54 AM

I recently had a Western Digital hard drive go bad on me. I checked
the warranty status of it to find that it was covered until 3/21/2006.
So, I created an "advanced RMA" and they shipped me another drive.
What I rec'd was a "recertified" drive, which was fine with me as long
as it worked. Well, it does not work...not even recognized by my BIOS
and I heard a low level clicking noise coming from the drive. So, I go
back online and check the warranty status of the 2nd bad drive, to find
that the warranty for it ends 8/20/2004...about 18 months before the
original drive's warranty would have expired.

What's up with the replacement drive not being covered until the
original drive would have been covered? Very unfair, if you ask me,
and I will think twice about buying WD drives from now on.
Anonymous
a b G Storage
April 1, 2004 7:52:12 AM

"Bob" <am_dew@REMOVepanixThis.com> wrote in message

> I recently had a Western Digital hard drive go bad on me. I checked
> the warranty status of it to find that it was covered until 3/21/2006.
> So, I created an "advanced RMA" and they shipped me another drive.
> What I rec'd was a "recertified" drive, which was fine with me as long
> as it worked. Well, it does not work...not even recognized by my BIOS
> and I heard a low level clicking noise coming from the drive. So, I go
> back online and check the warranty status of the 2nd bad drive, to find
> that the warranty for it ends 8/20/2004...about 18 months before the
> original drive's warranty would have expired.
>
> What's up with the replacement drive not being covered until the
> original drive would have been covered? Very unfair, if you ask me,
> and I will think twice about buying WD drives from now on.

You and many others. I've returned two new WD drives with "three year
warranties" within a few days to a couple of weeks of install, as they
developed high-pitched whining noises. Both were replaced by WD with drives
having about one year warranties.

One of the replacements recently started getting flaky. Rather than deal
with WD, I chucked it and bought a Samsung.
April 1, 2004 8:00:18 AM

CSS <nospam@ix.netcom.invalid> wrote:

<snip>

:> What's up with the replacement drive not being covered until the
:> original drive would have been covered? Very unfair, if you ask me,
:> and I will think twice about buying WD drives from now on.

:You and many others. I've returned two new WD drives with "three year
:warranties" within a few days to a couple of weeks of install, as they
:D eveloped high-pitched whining noises. Both were replaced by WD with drives
:having about one year warranties.

I'll be happy if the drive I get to replace the 2nd bad drive has a one
year warranty...this one only had 5 months.

:o ne of the replacements recently started getting flaky. Rather than deal
:with WD, I chucked it and bought a Samsung.

Hopefully, my situation won't come to that.
Anonymous
a b G Storage
April 1, 2004 10:07:22 AM

I believe you still have a 3 year warranty, WD is just not going
out of their way to reaffirm the 3 year warranty.
you need to keep all paper work, like the original purchase receipt.

!