security help--is this a threat?

mc

I had both internet and word applications open. While clicking on a www
link in my word document, the system locked up--wouldn't repond. I couldn't
exit, so I ended the task. When I tried to save the document, I rec'd a
message that document was "locked for editing by another user" it was read
only, I re-saved it with a different name. I checked my firewall and
security, there were multiple access to Ports "blocked" Did someone manage
to get in and read, copy, or mess with my document?

Malke

mc wrote:

> I had both internet and word applications open. While clicking on a
> www
> link in my word document, the system locked up--wouldn't repond. I
> couldn't exit, so I ended the task. When I tried to save the document,
> I rec'd a
> message that document was "locked for editing by another user" it was
> read
> only, I re-saved it with a different name. I checked my firewall and
> security, there were multiple access to Ports "blocked" Did someone
> manage to get in and read, copy, or mess with my document?

Very unlikely. It sounds like there was a system lockup (which may have
been caused by malware or a malicious website - there is no way for me
to tell from your post) and programs/processes did not exit cleanly.
Did a reboot fix everything?

As for your firewall ports, you *want* most ports blocked! Does
everything still work correctly?

Malke
--
Elephant Boy Computers
www.elephantboycomputers.com

mc

Thanks for your reply. I did reboot and everything looks OK. I do know that
I want ports "blocked." I'm on a laptop and I was concerned with the
multiple access attempts and I've never seen the message that my document was
"read only" or being "edited by another user." Nothing to do now. Maybe
some spyware or software upgrade?

"Malke" wrote:

> mc wrote:
>
> > I had both internet and word applications open. While clicking on a
> > www
> > link in my word document, the system locked up--wouldn't repond. I
> > couldn't exit, so I ended the task. When I tried to save the document,
> > I rec'd a
> > message that document was "locked for editing by another user" it was
> > read
> > only, I re-saved it with a different name. I checked my firewall and
> > security, there were multiple access to Ports "blocked" Did someone
> > manage to get in and read, copy, or mess with my document?
>
> Very unlikely. It sounds like there was a system lockup (which may have
> been caused by malware or a malicious website - there is no way for me
> to tell from your post) and programs/processes did not exit cleanly.
> Did a reboot fix everything?
>
> As for your firewall ports, you *want* most ports blocked! Does
> everything still work correctly?
>
> Malke
> --
> Elephant Boy Computers
> www.elephantboycomputers.com
> "Don't Panic!"
> MS-MVP Windows - Shell/User

Malke

mc wrote:

> Thanks for your reply. I did reboot and everything looks OK. I do
> know that
> I want ports "blocked." I'm on a laptop and I was concerned with the
> multiple access attempts and I've never seen the message that my
> document was
> "read only" or being "edited by another user." Nothing to do now.
> Maybe some spyware or software upgrade?

I think the document was still open in memory and *you* were the other
user. Since you have a firewall and presumably a current version
full-featured antivirus installed, I think you're fine.

Here are general malware removal steps:

You might want to go through a few of them - the housekeeping and
scanning with Ad-aware and Spybot at least - just to feel secure.

Malke