New iPaq user - Need accessories!

May 4, 2004 4:27:52 PM

Hello group...

I am new and I have a new iPaq 5550 on its' way to me. Before I get it
though, I need to be ready for it to go once it arrives. With that said,
what are some of the apps that I absolutely MUST have? What sleeves do I
need to buy? I will be using this for perosonal and corporate use, and a
big wi-fi user so perhaps there are sleeves with batteries (???)

I come from a Palm OS world, so I am not familiar offhand with any of the
actual post-handheld-purchase stuff.

Looking for your input. Thanks in advance.

More about : ipaq user accessories

Anonymous
May 4, 2004 6:00:27 PM

The new ROM upgrade from www.hp.com;
Resco File Explorer 2003;
Spb Pocket Plus;
A decent screen protector..
A decent cover pack (HP) or case..
The extended 2500mAh battery (using that will make
the unit too bulky for sleeves, btw.)

~S.

Styyleman@msn.com (paul) wrote in

--
======================
ACE!!! a.k.a. ~S.

First thing is to forget about any Palm app or how it works. There is no
direct replacement for most Palm apps. I have learned to just keep the
batteries in the Palm dead and use the iPaq and the new programs I use for
doing and storing the data I need.
The largest SD memory card is the first good buy. Lots of stuff can be
placed on the SD disk.
Network wise I use NetFront for a browser, IE won't work in my work VPN.
I use PGP to encrypt data that I would not want eyes to see if the iPaq is
left in a restaurant or other public place.
I like BatteryPac Pro to manage the desktop and battery level.
That should give you a start.

--

"paul" <Styyleman@msn.com> wrote in message

> Hello group...
>
> I am new and I have a new iPaq 5550 on its' way to me. Before I get it
> though, I need to be ready for it to go once it arrives. With that said,
> what are some of the apps that I absolutely MUST have? What sleeves do I
> need to buy? I will be using this for perosonal and corporate use, and a
> big wi-fi user so perhaps there are sleeves with batteries (???)
>
> I come from a Palm OS world, so I am not familiar offhand with any of the
> actual post-handheld-purchase stuff.
>
> Looking for your input. Thanks in advance.

Anonymous
May 5, 2004 9:09:28 AM

I would reccomend a sleeve that'll take CF cards although there not cheap. I
bit the bullet & got the dual PCMCIA card slots (with my 3750) and am glad I
did. I always keps a memory card in one slot for holdong apps and data along
with maps. The other slot was for my GPS, wireless NIC card, or my wired NIC
card.

The sleeve was able to upgrade with me and I use it, although less
frequently as my 5555 has an SD card for memory as well as a wireless NIC
built in. I do still use it for my GPS and wired NIC card (I do a lot of
troubleshooting with it.

Jim

!