slow Drive Image transfer

Last response: in Storage
a b G Storage
April 2, 2004 2:48:32 PM

Hi.

Using Drive Image 2002 to copy uncompressed hd images
from one pata/133 hd to another pata/133 hd. Each hd is
on its own PCI pata/133 controller card channel.

Cut 'n Paste transfers folders containing multiple files at
90MB/sec to 100MB/sec. under Windows XP.

But Drive Image transfers an image at around 1.8MB/sec.

Anyone know how to bring Drive Image up to speed?

(BTW, Symantec is now HARD NOSED about demanding
$29 for tech advice - if you don't pay, they don't say.
PowerQuest used to be more free with their support.)

Paul K.
Anonymous
a b G Storage
April 3, 2004 9:20:33 AM

Paul Karlssen <PaulKarlssen@Ahoo.com> wrote in message

> Using Drive Image 2002 to copy uncompressed hd images
> from one pata/133 hd to another pata/133 hd. Each hd is
> on its own PCI pata/133 controller card channel.

> Cut 'n Paste transfers folders containing multiple files
> at 90MB/sec to 100MB/sec. under Windows XP.

> But Drive Image transfers an image at around 1.8MB/sec.

> Anyone know how to bring Drive Image up to speed?

Try the /IDE=ON switch in the PQDI command line.
Simplest to try it with the rescue floppy and you can
add it to the virtual boot if it helps. It usually does.

> (BTW, Symantec is now HARD NOSED about demanding
> $29 for tech advice - if you don't pay, they don't say.
> PowerQuest used to be more free with their support.)
Anonymous
a b G Storage
April 3, 2004 9:20:34 AM

> Paul Karlssen <PaulKarlssen@Ahoo.com> wrote in message
>
> > Using Drive Image 2002 to copy uncompressed hd images
> > from one pata/133 hd to another pata/133 hd. Each hd is
> > on its own PCI pata/133 controller card channel.
>
> > Cut 'n Paste transfers folders containing multiple files
> > at 90MB/sec to 100MB/sec. under Windows XP.
>
> > But Drive Image transfers an image at around 1.8MB/sec.
>
> > Anyone know how to bring Drive Image up to speed?
>
> Try the /IDE=ON switch in the PQDI command line.
> Simplest to try it with the rescue floppy and you can
> add it to the virtual boot if it helps. It usually does.

Thanks for your reply.
Is there a way to control the /IDE switch from the GUI?
Does this tell the controller to use PIO instead of DMA?

Paul K.
a b G Storage
April 3, 2004 9:20:35 AM

Paul Karlssen wrote:
> "Rod Speed" <rod_speed@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>>
>> Paul Karlssen <PaulKarlssen@Ahoo.com> wrote in message
>>
>>> Using Drive Image 2002 to copy uncompressed hd images
>>> from one pata/133 hd to another pata/133 hd. Each hd is
>>> on its own PCI pata/133 controller card channel.
>>
>>> Cut 'n Paste transfers folders containing multiple files
>>> at 90MB/sec to 100MB/sec. under Windows XP.
>>
>>> But Drive Image transfers an image at around 1.8MB/sec.
>>
>>> Anyone know how to bring Drive Image up to speed?
>>
>> Try the /IDE=ON switch in the PQDI command line.
>> Simplest to try it with the rescue floppy and you can
>> add it to the virtual boot if it helps. It usually does.
>

> Thanks for your reply.
> Is there a way to control the /IDE switch from the GUI?
> Does this tell the controller to use PIO instead of DMA?
>
> Paul K.

Open the included VF Editor application, open the DEFAULT.VFD file with it
(located in the Drive Image 2002 VFD subfolder), extract the AUTOEXEC.BAT to
your desktop (simply drag 'n' drop it to the desktop), right click it and
choose "Edit".
Look up the line that says "pqdi" and complete that very same line with the
"/IDE=ON" switch.

After saving the AUTOEXE.BAT file, drag it back into the opened VF Editor
window (inject) and update the changed DEFAULT.VFD file.

From now on the virtual floppy will, once executed, invoke PQDI with the
/IDE=ON switch...

--
M.f.G.
Michael Kimmer

"Ein Tag an dem Du nicht lächelst ist ein verlorener Tag"
"Eine Nacht in der Du nicht schläfst ist eine verschlafene Nacht"
Anonymous
a b G Storage
April 3, 2004 9:20:36 AM

"Michael Kimmer" <michaelkimmer@NOSPAM.xs4all.nl> wrote in message
> Paul Karlssen wrote:
> > "Rod Speed" <rod_speed@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> >>
> >> Paul Karlssen <PaulKarlssen@Ahoo.com> wrote in message

> >> Try the /IDE=ON switch in the PQDI command line.
> >> Simplest to try it with the rescue floppy and you can
> >> add it to the virtual boot if it helps. It usually does.
> >

> > Thanks for your reply.
> > Is there a way to control the /IDE switch from the GUI?
> > Does this tell the controller to use PIO instead of DMA?
> >
> > Paul K.
>
> Open the included VF Editor application, open the DEFAULT.VFD file with it
> (located in the Drive Image 2002 VFD subfolder), extract the AUTOEXEC.BAT to
> your desktop (simply drag 'n' drop it to the desktop), right click it and
> choose "Edit".
> Look up the line that says "pqdi" and complete that very same line with the
> "/IDE=ON" switch.
>
> After saving the AUTOEXE.BAT file, drag it back into the opened VF Editor
> window (inject) and update the changed DEFAULT.VFD file.
>
> From now on the virtual floppy will, once executed, invoke PQDI with the
> /IDE=ON switch...

These are the only switches that I could find a description
of(http://www.symantec.com/techsupp/primus/id4379.html), and DOS
can't find pqdi to request a list of all its switches. If PowerQuest meant
for their Drive Image product to be accepted in the market place, they
must have made it default to normal copy speeds. Is there a way to
restore that default and not have to drop down to inline commands?

Paul K.
Anonymous
a b G Storage
April 3, 2004 9:20:36 AM

"Michael Kimmer" <michaelkimmer@NOSPAM.xs4all.nl> wrote in message
> Paul Karlssen wrote:
> > "Rod Speed" <rod_speed@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> >>
> >> Paul Karlssen <PaulKarlssen@Ahoo.com> wrote in message

> >> Try the /IDE=ON switch in the PQDI command line.
> >> Simplest to try it with the rescue floppy and you can
> >> add it to the virtual boot if it helps. It usually does.
> >

> > Thanks for your reply.
> > Is there a way to control the /IDE switch from the GUI?
> > Does this tell the controller to use PIO instead of DMA?
> >
> > Paul K.
>
> Open the included VF Editor application, open the DEFAULT.VFD file with it
> (located in the Drive Image 2002 VFD subfolder), extract the AUTOEXEC.BAT to
> your desktop (simply drag 'n' drop it to the desktop), right click it and
> choose "Edit".
> Look up the line that says "pqdi" and complete that very same line with the
> "/IDE=ON" switch.
>
> After saving the AUTOEXE.BAT file, drag it back into the opened VF Editor
> window (inject) and update the changed DEFAULT.VFD file.
>
> From now on the virtual floppy will, once executed, invoke PQDI with the
> /IDE=ON switch...

What a black art! Thanks for the procedure.

Paul K.
Anonymous
a b G Storage
April 3, 2004 1:16:20 PM

Paul Karlssen <PaulKarlssen@A-who.com> wrote in
message news:sZidnejjP7pWSvDdRVn-hg@comcast.com...
> Rod Speed <rod_speed@yahoo.com> wrote
>> Paul Karlssen <PaulKarlssen@Ahoo.com> wrote

>>> Using Drive Image 2002 to copy uncompressed hd images
>>> from one pata/133 hd to another pata/133 hd. Each hd is
>>> on its own PCI pata/133 controller card channel.

>>> Cut 'n Paste transfers folders containing multiple files
>>> at 90MB/sec to 100MB/sec. under Windows XP.

>>> But Drive Image transfers an image at around 1.8MB/sec.

>>> Anyone know how to bring Drive Image up to speed?

>> Try the /IDE=ON switch in the PQDI command line.
>> Simplest to try it with the rescue floppy and you can
>> add it to the virtual boot if it helps. It usually does.

> Thanks for your reply.
> Is there a way to control the /IDE switch from the GUI?

Nope.

> Does this tell the controller to use PIO instead of DMA?

Probably. Or more legalistically it appears to be a workaround
for when the automatic detection of that capability fails.

PowerQuest has never said exactly what its about.
Anonymous
a b G Storage
April 3, 2004 3:02:09 PM

"Paul Karlssen" <PaulKarlssen@A-who.com> wrote in message news:SPqdnXIPuMjzYvDd4p2dnA@comcast.com...

> "Michael Kimmer" <michaelkimmer@NOSPAM.xs4all.nl> wrote in message
> > Paul Karlssen wrote:
> > > "Rod Speed" <rod_speed@yahoo.com> wrote in message

> > > Thanks for your reply.
> > > Is there a way to control the /IDE switch from the GUI?
> > > Does this tell the controller to use PIO instead of DMA?
> > >
> > > Paul K.
> >
> > Open the included VF Editor application, open the DEFAULT.VFD file with it
> > (located in the Drive Image 2002 VFD subfolder), extract the AUTOEXEC.BAT to
> > your desktop (simply drag 'n' drop it to the desktop), right click it and
> > choose "Edit".
> > Look up the line that says "pqdi" and complete that very same line with the
> > "/IDE=ON" switch.
> >
> > After saving the AUTOEXE.BAT file, drag it back into the opened VF Editor
> > window (inject) and update the changed DEFAULT.VFD file.
> >
> > From now on the virtual floppy will, once executed, invoke PQDI with the
> > /IDE=ON switch...

> These are the only switches that I could find a description
> of(http://www.symantec.com/techsupp/primus/id4379.html),

Yeah, it was never documented for some reason.

> and DOS can't find pqdi to request a list of all its switches.

It can from the rescue floppys.

> If PowerQuest meant for their Drive Image product to be accepted in the
> market place, they must have made it default to normal copy speeds.

It normally does get its analysis of what the chipset can do right.
That /IDE switch just forces it for when it doesnt get it right.

> Is there a way to restore that default and
> not have to drop down to inline commands?

Nope.
Anonymous
a b G Storage
April 3, 2004 3:02:10 PM

> "Paul Karlssen" <PaulKarlssen@A-who.com> wrote in message
> >
> > "Michael Kimmer" <michaelkimmer@NOSPAM.xs4all.nl> wrote in message

> > > Open the included VF Editor application, open the DEFAULT.VFD file with it
> > > (located in the Drive Image 2002 VFD subfolder), extract the AUTOEXEC.BAT
> > > your desktop (simply drag 'n' drop it to the desktop), right click it and
> > > choose "Edit".
> > > Look up the line that says "pqdi" and complete that very same line with
the
> > > "/IDE=ON" switch.
> > >
> > > After saving the AUTOEXE.BAT file, drag it back into the opened VF Editor
> > > window (inject) and update the changed DEFAULT.VFD file.
> > >
> > > From now on the virtual floppy will, once executed, invoke PQDI with the
> > > /IDE=ON switch...
>
> > These are the only switches that I could find a description
> > of(http://www.symantec.com/techsupp/primus/id4379.html),
>
> Yeah, it was never documented for some reason.
>
> > and DOS can't find pqdi to request a list of all its switches.
>
> It can from the rescue floppys.
>
> > If PowerQuest meant for their Drive Image product to be accepted in the
> > market place, they must have made it default to normal copy speeds.
>
> It normally does get its analysis of what the chipset can do right.
> That /IDE switch just forces it for when it doesnt get it right.
>
> > Is there a way to restore that default and
> > not have to drop down to inline commands?
>
> Nope.

Thanks for the info!

Paul K.
!