Spontaneous Printer Installation

I recently discovered that several new network printers were installed on my
laptop through network names I have never heard of. I have been on the road
and using my WiFi at various motels which are not WEP encrypted. Might XP
have installed these printers automatically?

Is this a sign of intrusion and if so, how do I protect my computer from
this mischief?

Not Dave wrote:
> I recently discovered that several new network printers were
> installed on my laptop through network names I have never
> heard of. I have been on the road and using my WiFi at
> various motels which are not WEP encrypted. Might XP have
> installed these printers automatically?
>
> Is this a sign of intrusion and if so, how do I protect my
> computer from this mischief?

Go to Control Panel and double click Folder Options.
Click on the View Tab.
Remove the check mark next to "Automatically search for network
folders and printers".

Note: Disabling this feature means you will have to install
network printers manually. You will also have to create entries
in "My Network Places". They will not appear automatically.

Nepatsfan