How readable are 8x DVDs?

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage,alt.video.dvd,uk.media.dvd,alt.video.dvd.tech,alt.video.dvdr (More info?)

From time to time people say that they can not read their DVDs
which they burnt at 8x speed on other players.

How common is this problem? I know it also happened with CDs but
when DVDs came along, I thought it was largely solved.

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage,alt.video.dvd,uk.media.dvd,alt.video.dvd.tech,alt.video.dvdr (More info?)

On Sat, 03 Apr 2004 18:46:16 +0100, Widow Twankey
<Widow.Twankey@Aladdin.com> wrote:

>From time to time people say that they can not read their DVDs
>which they burnt at 8x speed on other players.
>
>How common is this problem? I know it also happened with CDs but
>when DVDs came along, I thought it was largely solved.

Only a problem if you are stupid enpugh to use the hacked formware
which forces 4x media to burn at 8x. If using 8x media then its not a
problem to burn at 8x and will play back just fine.

Mike

Splendid
Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage,alt.video.dvd,uk.media.dvd,alt.video.dvd.tech,alt.video.dvdr (More info?)

I don't have a problem playing 4x media burned at 8x on any of my DVD
players. I have a plextor 8x drive, and with updates from the plextor
web page can burn 8x onto 4x verbatum media with no problems that
plays flawlessly on both my PCs that have DVD players, as well as my
Sony DVD player in my bedroom and my Pioneer DVD player in my
livingroom.

On Mon, 05 Apr 2004 21:45:07 GMT, Mike <mckennedy70@sigecom.net>
wrote:

>I don't have a problem playing 4x media burned at 8x on any of my DVD
>players. I have a plextor 8x drive, and with updates from the plextor
>web page can burn 8x onto 4x verbatum media with no problems that
>plays flawlessly on both my PCs that have DVD players, as well as my
>Sony DVD player in my bedroom and my Pioneer DVD player in my
>livingroom.

He did sat a hacked firmware (like the Pioneer one I am planning on
using!). The plextor one you are using sounds like an official one to
me...

--

Moldy

"Then you have the low-carb dieters. This involves the active avoidance of
life-giving antioxidants while scarfing massive amounts of known carcinogens
until someone punches you to death for bragging about how much weight you
lost." - Scott Adams