Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Trouble Getting The Cards Out

Last response: in Computer Peripherals
Share
Anonymous
June 22, 2004 5:02:50 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.dcameras,misc.consumers (More info?)

I have an Olympus D-380 digital camera. Getting the Smart Media cards
out of the camera is a major hassle, without a tool of some sort. I
am a man, and have large fingers and hands. I cant grab the dang
things. I have to carry a needlenose plyers to grip them. Why cant
the camera manufacturers allow enough finger space to grab these
cards. Why should I need to use a tool....
Besides that, I am afraid of damaging the card with the plyers, but
there is no other way.

More about : trouble cards

Anonymous
June 22, 2004 5:02:51 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.dcameras,misc.consumers (More info?)

spamfree@nospam.com wrote:
>I have an Olympus D-380 digital camera. Getting the Smart Media cards
>out of the camera is a major hassle, without a tool of some sort. I
>am a man, and have large fingers and hands. I cant grab the dang
>things. I have to carry a needlenose plyers to grip them. Why cant
>the camera manufacturers allow enough finger space to grab these
>cards. Why should I need to use a tool....
>Besides that, I am afraid of damaging the card with the plyers, but
>there is no other way.
>
While I don't have a D-380, I have an Oly of similar vintage (C-2040Z). The SM
card on that bad boy is spring-loaded -- press it in a bit, and it will then
spring out enough to easily grip. Perhaps the D-380 uses the same method?
Anonymous
June 22, 2004 10:38:34 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.dcameras,misc.consumers (More info?)

On Tue, 22 Jun 2004 13:02:50 -0500, spamfree@nospam.com wrote:

>I have an Olympus D-380 digital camera. Getting the Smart Media cards

Don't feed the troll.
Related resources
Anonymous
June 22, 2004 10:38:35 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.dcameras,misc.consumers (More info?)

On Tue, 22 Jun 2004 18:38:34 GMT, doubter
<doubter@YELL0WBR1CKR0AD.C0M> wrote:

>On Tue, 22 Jun 2004 13:02:50 -0500, spamfree@nospam.com wrote:
>
>>I have an Olympus D-380 digital camera. Getting the Smart Media cards
>
>Don't feed the troll.

Ok, I won't feed you.
Anonymous
June 22, 2004 10:54:54 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.dcameras,misc.consumers (More info?)

spamfree@nospam.com wrote:
> I have an Olympus D-380 digital camera. Getting the Smart Media cards
> out of the camera is a major hassle, without a tool of some sort. I
> am a man, and have large fingers and hands. I cant grab the dang
> things. I have to carry a needlenose plyers to grip them. Why cant
> the camera manufacturers allow enough finger space to grab these
> cards. Why should I need to use a tool....
> Besides that, I am afraid of damaging the card with the plyers, but
> there is no other way.

As you have discovered, you unfortunately bought a camera model with a
poorly designed card slot.

Many digital cameras (including some models from Olympus) have push
button cams (or spring-loaded slots) that obviate the need for small
fingers or tools.
June 22, 2004 11:29:03 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.dcameras,misc.consumers (More info?)

<spamfree@nospam.com> wrote in message
news:0osgd097ttagp91tic9ocrpnrutlsgvo0e@4ax.com...
> I have an Olympus D-380 digital camera. Getting the Smart Media cards
> out of the camera is a major hassle, without a tool of some sort. I
> am a man, and have large fingers and hands. I cant grab the dang
> things. I have to carry a needlenose plyers to grip them. Why cant
> the camera manufacturers allow enough finger space to grab these
> cards. Why should I need to use a tool....
> Besides that, I am afraid of damaging the card with the plyers, but
> there is no other way.

I have a Kodak DX6940 - the SD cards it uses are similarly hard to *pull*
out, but if you push them in a little they pop out a reasonable enough
amount to be able to grasp them (just)

maybe it's worth trying with your Olympus?

Kline
Anonymous
June 23, 2004 2:07:45 AM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.dcameras,misc.consumers (More info?)

In article <0osgd097ttagp91tic9ocrpnrutlsgvo0e@4ax.com>,
spamfree@nospam.com wrote:

> I have an Olympus D-380 digital camera. Getting the Smart Media cards
> out of the camera is a major hassle, without a tool of some sort. I
> am a man, and have large fingers and hands. I cant grab the dang
> things. I have to carry a needlenose plyers to grip them. Why cant
> the camera manufacturers allow enough finger space to grab these
> cards. Why should I need to use a tool....
> Besides that, I am afraid of damaging the card with the plyers, but
> there is no other way.

Well, if the other common sense responses don't work for you look at it
as an opportunity to buy a new Swiss Army knife that has tweezers.
Anonymous
June 23, 2004 5:11:00 AM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.dcameras,misc.consumers (More info?)

On Tue, 22 Jun 2004 18:38:34 GMT, doubter
<doubter@YELL0WBR1CKR0AD.C0M> wrote:

>On Tue, 22 Jun 2004 13:02:50 -0500, spamfree@nospam.com wrote:
>
>>I have an Olympus D-380 digital camera. Getting the Smart Media cards
>
>Don't feed the troll.

"THE TROLL" must be you then.....

*PLONK*
Anonymous
June 23, 2004 5:15:09 AM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.dcameras,misc.consumers (More info?)

On Tue, 22 Jun 2004 19:29:03 +0100, "kline"
<coma_ellipse@noospaamyahoo.com> wrote:

>
><spamfree@nospam.com> wrote in message
>news:0osgd097ttagp91tic9ocrpnrutlsgvo0e@4ax.com...
>> I have an Olympus D-380 digital camera. Getting the Smart Media cards
>> out of the camera is a major hassle, without a tool of some sort. I
>> am a man, and have large fingers and hands. I cant grab the dang
>> things. I have to carry a needlenose plyers to grip them. Why cant
>> the camera manufacturers allow enough finger space to grab these
>> cards. Why should I need to use a tool....
>> Besides that, I am afraid of damaging the card with the plyers, but
>> there is no other way.
>
>I have a Kodak DX6940 - the SD cards it uses are similarly hard to *pull*
>out, but if you push them in a little they pop out a reasonable enough
>amount to be able to grasp them (just)
>
>maybe it's worth trying with your Olympus?
>
>Kline
>

I just tried what you suggested. Pushing on it does not release it,
or do anything. The finger area is so tiny that I can only grip the
card with my fingernails. A woman with long nails might be able to
grasp it, but I can't. I had to get out the plyers again.
I keep a special pair of plyers in my camera case, and put a little
duct tape on the tips to hopefully avoid damaging the card.
Very poor design on the part of Olympus.
Anonymous
June 23, 2004 10:57:03 AM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.dcameras,misc.consumers (More info?)

spamfree@nospam.com wrote:
> I have an Olympus D-380 digital camera. Getting the Smart Media cards
> out of the camera is a major hassle, without a tool of some sort. I
> am a man, and have large fingers and hands. I cant grab the dang
> things. I have to carry a needlenose plyers to grip them. Why cant
> the camera manufacturers allow enough finger space to grab these
> cards. Why should I need to use a tool....
> Besides that, I am afraid of damaging the card with the plyers, but
> there is no other way.

Try putting a tab of masking tape on the card to provide a gripping area.
--

Mike Russell
www.curvemeister.com
www.geigy.2y.net
Anonymous
June 23, 2004 11:34:15 AM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.dcameras,misc.consumers (More info?)

On Wed, 23 Jun 2004 01:15:09 -0500, spamfree@nospam.com wrote:

>On Tue, 22 Jun 2004 19:29:03 +0100, "kline"
><coma_ellipse@noospaamyahoo.com> wrote:
>
>>
>><spamfree@nospam.com> wrote in message
>>news:0osgd097ttagp91tic9ocrpnrutlsgvo0e@4ax.com...
>>> I have an Olympus D-380 digital camera. Getting the Smart Media cards
>>> out of the camera is a major hassle, without a tool of some sort. I
>>> am a man, and have large fingers and hands. I cant grab the dang
>>> things. I have to carry a needlenose plyers to grip them. Why cant
>>> the camera manufacturers allow enough finger space to grab these
>>> cards. Why should I need to use a tool....
>>> Besides that, I am afraid of damaging the card with the plyers, but
>>> there is no other way.
>>
>>I have a Kodak DX6940 - the SD cards it uses are similarly hard to *pull*
>>out, but if you push them in a little they pop out a reasonable enough
>>amount to be able to grasp them (just)
>>
>>maybe it's worth trying with your Olympus?
>>
>>Kline
>>
>
>I just tried what you suggested. Pushing on it does not release it,
>or do anything. The finger area is so tiny that I can only grip the
>card with my fingernails. A woman with long nails might be able to
>grasp it, but I can't. I had to get out the plyers again.
>I keep a special pair of plyers in my camera case, and put a little
>duct tape on the tips to hopefully avoid damaging the card.
>Very poor design on the part of Olympus.
>

You might try a hemostat - locking medical tweezers. I use them for
switching jumpers on hard drives, and they seem to be pretty useful
for me.
Anonymous
June 24, 2004 7:14:01 AM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.dcameras,misc.consumers (More info?)

<spamfree@nospam.com> wrote in message
(snip)
> I just tried what you suggested. Pushing on it does not release it,
> or do anything. The finger area is so tiny that I can only grip the
> card with my fingernails. A woman with long nails might be able to
> grasp it, but I can't. I had to get out the plyers again.
> I keep a special pair of plyers in my camera case, and put a little
> duct tape on the tips to hopefully avoid damaging the card.
> Very poor design on the part of Olympus.
>
Well, the current equivilent model, the 390, does say 'push to release', as
does every other Olympus that I have seen. See link at
http://www.olympusamerica.com/cpg_section/cpg_files/D39... .

Maybe your camera has a bent/broken spring, or card is bent somehow. Suggest
you stop by a real camera shop if your town has one, and ask their advice.
They can try a card from a demo camera to rule that out. Every real camera
shop I've ever dealt with is happy to assist walkins with little problems
like this.

aem sends...
!