Trouble Getting The Cards Out

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.dcameras,misc.consumers (More info?)

I have an Olympus D-380 digital camera. Getting the Smart Media cards
out of the camera is a major hassle, without a tool of some sort. I
am a man, and have large fingers and hands. I cant grab the dang
things. I have to carry a needlenose plyers to grip them. Why cant
the camera manufacturers allow enough finger space to grab these
cards. Why should I need to use a tool....
Besides that, I am afraid of damaging the card with the plyers, but
there is no other way.
11 answers Last reply
More about trouble cards
  1. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.dcameras,misc.consumers (More info?)

    spamfree@nospam.com wrote:
    >I have an Olympus D-380 digital camera. Getting the Smart Media cards
    >out of the camera is a major hassle, without a tool of some sort. I
    >am a man, and have large fingers and hands. I cant grab the dang
    >things. I have to carry a needlenose plyers to grip them. Why cant
    >the camera manufacturers allow enough finger space to grab these
    >cards. Why should I need to use a tool....
    >Besides that, I am afraid of damaging the card with the plyers, but
    >there is no other way.

    While I don't have a D-380, I have an Oly of similar vintage (C-2040Z). The SM
    card on that bad boy is spring-loaded -- press it in a bit, and it will then
    spring out enough to easily grip. Perhaps the D-380 uses the same method?
  2. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.dcameras,misc.consumers (More info?)

    On Tue, 22 Jun 2004 13:02:50 -0500, spamfree@nospam.com wrote:

    >I have an Olympus D-380 digital camera. Getting the Smart Media cards

    Don't feed the troll.
  3. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.dcameras,misc.consumers (More info?)

    On Tue, 22 Jun 2004 18:38:34 GMT, doubter
    <doubter@YELL0WBR1CKR0AD.C0M> wrote:

    >On Tue, 22 Jun 2004 13:02:50 -0500, spamfree@nospam.com wrote:
    >
    >>I have an Olympus D-380 digital camera. Getting the Smart Media cards
    >
    >Don't feed the troll.

    Ok, I won't feed you.
  4. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.dcameras,misc.consumers (More info?)

    spamfree@nospam.com wrote:
    > I have an Olympus D-380 digital camera. Getting the Smart Media cards
    > out of the camera is a major hassle, without a tool of some sort. I
    > am a man, and have large fingers and hands. I cant grab the dang
    > things. I have to carry a needlenose plyers to grip them. Why cant
    > the camera manufacturers allow enough finger space to grab these
    > cards. Why should I need to use a tool....
    > Besides that, I am afraid of damaging the card with the plyers, but
    > there is no other way.

    As you have discovered, you unfortunately bought a camera model with a
    poorly designed card slot.

    Many digital cameras (including some models from Olympus) have push
    button cams (or spring-loaded slots) that obviate the need for small
    fingers or tools.
  5. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.dcameras,misc.consumers (More info?)

    <spamfree@nospam.com> wrote in message
    > I have an Olympus D-380 digital camera. Getting the Smart Media cards
    > out of the camera is a major hassle, without a tool of some sort. I
    > am a man, and have large fingers and hands. I cant grab the dang
    > things. I have to carry a needlenose plyers to grip them. Why cant
    > the camera manufacturers allow enough finger space to grab these
    > cards. Why should I need to use a tool....
    > Besides that, I am afraid of damaging the card with the plyers, but
    > there is no other way.

    I have a Kodak DX6940 - the SD cards it uses are similarly hard to *pull*
    out, but if you push them in a little they pop out a reasonable enough
    amount to be able to grasp them (just)

    maybe it's worth trying with your Olympus?

    Kline
  6. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.dcameras,misc.consumers (More info?)

    In article <0osgd097ttagp91tic9ocrpnrutlsgvo0e@4ax.com>,
    spamfree@nospam.com wrote:

    > I have an Olympus D-380 digital camera. Getting the Smart Media cards
    > out of the camera is a major hassle, without a tool of some sort. I
    > am a man, and have large fingers and hands. I cant grab the dang
    > things. I have to carry a needlenose plyers to grip them. Why cant
    > the camera manufacturers allow enough finger space to grab these
    > cards. Why should I need to use a tool....
    > Besides that, I am afraid of damaging the card with the plyers, but
    > there is no other way.

    Well, if the other common sense responses don't work for you look at it
    as an opportunity to buy a new Swiss Army knife that has tweezers.
  7. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.dcameras,misc.consumers (More info?)

    On Tue, 22 Jun 2004 18:38:34 GMT, doubter
    <doubter@YELL0WBR1CKR0AD.C0M> wrote:

    >On Tue, 22 Jun 2004 13:02:50 -0500, spamfree@nospam.com wrote:
    >
    >>I have an Olympus D-380 digital camera. Getting the Smart Media cards
    >
    >Don't feed the troll.

    "THE TROLL" must be you then.....

    *PLONK*
  8. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.dcameras,misc.consumers (More info?)

    On Tue, 22 Jun 2004 19:29:03 +0100, "kline"
    <coma_ellipse@noospaamyahoo.com> wrote:

    ><spamfree@nospam.com> wrote in message
    >> I have an Olympus D-380 digital camera. Getting the Smart Media cards
    >> out of the camera is a major hassle, without a tool of some sort. I
    >> am a man, and have large fingers and hands. I cant grab the dang
    >> things. I have to carry a needlenose plyers to grip them. Why cant
    >> the camera manufacturers allow enough finger space to grab these
    >> cards. Why should I need to use a tool....
    >> Besides that, I am afraid of damaging the card with the plyers, but
    >> there is no other way.
    >
    >I have a Kodak DX6940 - the SD cards it uses are similarly hard to *pull*
    >out, but if you push them in a little they pop out a reasonable enough
    >amount to be able to grasp them (just)
    >
    >maybe it's worth trying with your Olympus?
    >
    >Kline

    I just tried what you suggested. Pushing on it does not release it,
    or do anything. The finger area is so tiny that I can only grip the
    card with my fingernails. A woman with long nails might be able to
    grasp it, but I can't. I had to get out the plyers again.
    I keep a special pair of plyers in my camera case, and put a little
    duct tape on the tips to hopefully avoid damaging the card.
    Very poor design on the part of Olympus.
  9. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.dcameras,misc.consumers (More info?)

    spamfree@nospam.com wrote:
    > I have an Olympus D-380 digital camera. Getting the Smart Media cards
    > out of the camera is a major hassle, without a tool of some sort. I
    > am a man, and have large fingers and hands. I cant grab the dang
    > things. I have to carry a needlenose plyers to grip them. Why cant
    > the camera manufacturers allow enough finger space to grab these
    > cards. Why should I need to use a tool....
    > Besides that, I am afraid of damaging the card with the plyers, but
    > there is no other way.

    Try putting a tab of masking tape on the card to provide a gripping area.
    --

    Mike Russell
    www.curvemeister.com

    On Wed, 23 Jun 2004 01:15:09 -0500, spamfree@nospam.com wrote:

    >On Tue, 22 Jun 2004 19:29:03 +0100, "kline"
    ><coma_ellipse@noospaamyahoo.com> wrote:
    >

    >><spamfree@nospam.com> wrote in message
    >>> I have an Olympus D-380 digital camera. Getting the Smart Media cards
    >>> out of the camera is a major hassle, without a tool of some sort. I
    >>> am a man, and have large fingers and hands. I cant grab the dang
    >>> things. I have to carry a needlenose plyers to grip them. Why cant
    >>> the camera manufacturers allow enough finger space to grab these
    >>> cards. Why should I need to use a tool....
    >>> Besides that, I am afraid of damaging the card with the plyers, but
    >>> there is no other way.
    >>
    >>I have a Kodak DX6940 - the SD cards it uses are similarly hard to *pull*
    >>out, but if you push them in a little they pop out a reasonable enough
    >>amount to be able to grasp them (just)
    >>
    >>maybe it's worth trying with your Olympus?
    >>
    >>Kline
    >>

    >I just tried what you suggested. Pushing on it does not release it,
    >or do anything. The finger area is so tiny that I can only grip the
    >card with my fingernails. A woman with long nails might be able to
    >grasp it, but I can't. I had to get out the plyers again.
    >I keep a special pair of plyers in my camera case, and put a little
    >duct tape on the tips to hopefully avoid damaging the card.
    >Very poor design on the part of Olympus.

    You might try a hemostat - locking medical tweezers. I use them for
    switching jumpers on hard drives, and they seem to be pretty useful
    for me.
  11. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.dcameras,misc.consumers (More info?)

    <spamfree@nospam.com> wrote in message
    (snip)
    > I just tried what you suggested. Pushing on it does not release it,
    > or do anything. The finger area is so tiny that I can only grip the
    > card with my fingernails. A woman with long nails might be able to
    > grasp it, but I can't. I had to get out the plyers again.
    > I keep a special pair of plyers in my camera case, and put a little
    > duct tape on the tips to hopefully avoid damaging the card.
    > Very poor design on the part of Olympus.

    Well, the current equivilent model, the 390, does say 'push to release', as
    does every other Olympus that I have seen. See link at
    http://www.olympusamerica.com/cpg_section/cpg_files/D390_QSG_E.pdf .

    Maybe your camera has a bent/broken spring, or card is bent somehow. Suggest
    you stop by a real camera shop if your town has one, and ask their advice.
    They can try a card from a demo camera to rule that out. Every real camera
    shop I've ever dealt with is happy to assist walkins with little problems
    like this.

    aem sends...

Cameras Olympus Peripherals