Getting home network, working

Stu

Hi,

I have been playing away and hope someone can help me.

I have a SMC router. I have two PCs connected to it by a cable connection (each one is connected to it), and I have a new laptop connected to it wirelessly. All of the machines are running Windows XP.

I had a network between the two PCs, meaning I could see files I shared, before I started playing. Now, I can not see any shared files at all. I can see each of the three computers in the same workgroup, but I can not see any of the shared files, which is ultimately what I want to accomplish, move files back and forth, and share them as well.

What do I have to do to resolve this?

thanks,
Stuart

jr

Hi Stu,
Finally someone with an SMC router :) Have the seme one,
great piece of eauipment !
For your problem, disable all the firewalls on your
machines for now.
Check the IP addresses on all machines.
Try to "ping" between the machines.
If successful, check if "file and printer sharing" is
enabled on all machines.
Let me know how you're doing....I'll be checking for your
reply.
Ar you using Xp Home or XP Pro ??

Stu

Thanks for helping JR!

I have the Barricade 7004 VWBR (I think are the letters), really like it, picked it up at Christmas. If I can get this working, ideally I want to have all the files on the desktop and laptop, automatically updating eachother when either changes, and sharing a scanner and printer...first step I know is to get them seeing eachother.

OK, we are one step closer! I turned off the XP firewall on the laptop, and I can now see the shared folders in my network tree on desktop 1 (I am leaving desktop 2 turned off for now, get this working first!).

I can not see any network drives on my laptop, at all!??!?! What next????

Thanks again,
Stu!

"JR" wrote:

> Hi Stu,
> Finally someone with an SMC router :) Have the seme one,
> great piece of eauipment !
> For your problem, disable all the firewalls on your
> machines for now.
> Check the IP addresses on all machines.
> Try to "ping" between the machines.
> If successful, check if "file and printer sharing" is
> enabled on all machines.
> Let me know how you're doing....I'll be checking for your
> reply.
> Ar you using Xp Home or XP Pro ??

Stu

Hi again JR,

That seems to have done the trick, now that the XP firewall is disabled, I can see files on each of the three machines.

What is next? Is the router keeping me secure anyway (firewall)?

How do I set it up so that the laptop copies and updates the files on the other computers whenever it connects to the network? Specifically, my documents and outlook?

Thanks for your help, this is wonderful!
Stu.

"JR" wrote:

> Hi Stu,
> Finally someone with an SMC router :) Have the seme one,
> great piece of eauipment !
> For your problem, disable all the firewalls on your
> machines for now.
> Check the IP addresses on all machines.
> Try to "ping" between the machines.
> If successful, check if "file and printer sharing" is
> enabled on all machines.
> Let me know how you're doing....I'll be checking for your
> reply.
> Ar you using Xp Home or XP Pro ??

Thanks JR and Stu

I am having similar problems this helped me somewhat resolve the issue.

Thanks

Gav