Restrict access to Shared Docs sub-folder

zander

I'm a networking novice!
I've got a 4 workstation winxp pro peer 2 peer network no server. Lets say
my pc is called DOG and my assistant's (Jan) pc is CAT. She's got different
files in her 'Shared Documents' folder (C:\Documents and Settings\All
Users\Documents). Everyone on the network can see and access this folder and
all sub folders. To restrict access to certain sub-folders in Shared Docs
and I thought the process would be something like:
1) Navigate to shared docs (while physically on) CAT.
2) Select the sub folder I wish to restrict access to
3) Sharing & Security..Permissions, get rid of Everyone in both Sharing
Permissions and Security and add Jan as administrator of CAT with full
permissions

This works to remove access by anyone but Jan on CAT to the desired folder.
Next problem is to add permission to me from DOG to get access. Through
Permissions or Security I can only call up names (through the Select User or
Group dialog box) that are local on CAT. I can't browse the network to look
for me as an administrator on DOG - under Locations only CAT is visible. I
must be missing out on something pretty fundamental but wouldn't have a clue
what. Sorry for being so long winded!

This guide should explain things:

Tim

Zander wrote:
> I'm a networking novice!
> I've got a 4 workstation winxp pro peer 2 peer network no
> server. Lets say my pc is called DOG and my assistant's
> (Jan) pc is CAT. She's got different files in her 'Shared
> Documents' folder (C:\Documents and Settings\All
> Users\Documents). Everyone on the network can see and access
> this folder and all sub folders. To restrict access to
> certain sub-folders in Shared Docs and I thought the process
> would be something like: 1) Navigate to shared docs (while
> physically on) CAT. 2) Select the sub folder I wish to
> restrict access to 3) Sharing & Security..Permissions, get
> rid of Everyone in both Sharing Permissions and Security and
> add Jan as administrator of CAT with full permissions
> This works to remove access by anyone but Jan on CAT to the
> desired folder. Next problem is to add permission to me from
> DOG to get access. Through Permissions or Security I can
> only call up names (through the Select User or Group dialog
> box) that are local on CAT. I can't browse the network to
> look for me as an administrator on DOG - under Locations
> only CAT is visible. I must be missing out on something
> pretty fundamental but wouldn't have a clue what. Sorry for
> being so long winded!

You need to create a User Account on CAT that is identical in
user name and password to the account you have on DOG. Make
sure it's a member of the Administrator's group. Log on to CAT
with this new account. You can now add this account to the list
of users allowed full control of the subfolder in question. Go
back to DOG. Logoff and log back on. See if you now have access
to the sub folder.

Note: If you find yourself having to allow access to folders
for different users it's much easier to create a new group, add
the correct users to the new group and give the group
permissions to the folders. Then if you decide that a user no
longer needs access to a folder you simply remove them from the
group.

Nepatsfan

TRENDING THREADS