Smart Failure

Hello everyone

I have just bought a computer second hand and am getting the following
message. I do not know exactly what it means or how to fix it so any
help would be greatly appreciated. The message is as follows.

Smart failure predicted on primary master ST360020A.

I know that this is refering to the hard drive and I was wondering if
I can fix it using software or if I have to replace the hard drive.
Any help greatly appreciated.

My thanks

Paul Smart
9 answers Last reply
More about smart failure

    Paul Smart wrote:
    > Hello everyone
    >
    > I have just bought a computer second hand and am getting the following
    > message. I do not know exactly what it means or how to fix it so any
    > help would be greatly appreciated. The message is as follows.
    >
    > Smart failure predicted on primary master ST360020A.
    >
    > I know that this is refering to the hard drive and I was wondering if
    > I can fix it using software or if I have to replace the hard drive.
    > Any help greatly appreciated.

    From http://www.ariolic.com/activesmart/smart-technology.html

    S.M.A.R.T. stands for Self-Monitoring Analysis and Reporting Technology.
    S.M.A.R.T. technology was developed by a number of major hard disk drive
    manufacturers in a concerted effort to increase the reliability of drives.
    It is a technology that enables the PC to predict the future failure of hard
    disk drives. S.M.A.R.T. technology has become an industry standard for hard
    drive manufacturers.

    Through the S.M.A.R.T. system, modern hard disk drives incorporate a suite
    of advanced diagnostics that monitor the internal operations of a drive and
    provide an early warning for many types of potential problems. When a
    potential problem is detected, the drive can be repaired or replaced before
    any data is lost or damaged.

    Your best bet is to download and use Seatools:
    http://www.seagate.com/support/seatools/

    Depending on how old the drive is, you may be able to RMA it. Note any error
    codes produced.

    smart_paul2000@yahoo.com (Paul Smart) wrote in message news:<2ed3a24f.0404040538.5cb0f117@posting.google.com>...
    > Hello everyone
    >
    > Smart failure predicted on primary master ST360020A.
    >
    > I know that this is refering to the hard drive and I was wondering if
    > I can fix it using software or if I have to replace the hard drive.
    > Any help greatly appreciated.

    Use any SMART interpreting program
    (http://private.peterlink.ru/tochinov/DTemp/DTemp.zip,
    ftp://xponik.spb.ru/pub/hdd/hddspd21.zip,
    http://www.acelab.ru/products/pc/utility.smart203.zip,
    http://mhddsoftware.com/files/mhdd/mhdd29.zip etc.) to check SMART
    attributes. The further actions depend on values of attributes.

    Leonid

    Previously Paul Smart <smart_paul2000@yahoo.com> wrote:
    > Hello everyone

    > I have just bought a computer second hand and am getting the following
    > message. I do not know exactly what it means or how to fix it so any
    > help would be greatly appreciated. The message is as follows.

    > Smart failure predicted on primary master ST360020A.

    > I know that this is refering to the hard drive and I was wondering if
    > I can fix it using software or if I have to replace the hard drive.
    > Any help greatly appreciated.

    Expect it do die soon. That is the whole purpose of this message.
    Software will not help.

    Arno

    "Leo" <Leo@softjoys.ru> wrote in message news:c05abcbe.0404042322.43f7c8c6@posting.google.com
    > smart_paul2000@yahoo.com (Paul Smart) wrote in message news:<2ed3a24f.0404040538.5cb0f117@posting.google.com>...
    > > Hello everyone
    > >
    > > Smart failure predicted on primary master ST360020A.
    > >
    > > I know that this is refering to the hard drive and I was wondering if
    > > I can fix it using software or if I have to replace the hard drive.
    > > Any help greatly appreciated.
    > >

    > Use any SMART interpreting program
    > (http://private.peterlink.ru/tochinov/DTemp/DTemp.zip,
    > ftp://xponik.spb.ru/pub/hdd/hddspd21.zip,

    > http://www.acelab.ru/products/pc/utility.smart203.zip,

    Oh goody, a utility with a setup completely in russian.

    "Folkert Rienstra" <see_reply-to@myweb.nl> wrote in message news:<c516ki$2lrm54$3@ID-79662.news.uni-berlin.de>...
    > > (http://private.peterlink.ru/tochinov/DTemp/DTemp.zip,
    > > ftp://xponik.spb.ru/pub/hdd/hddspd21.zip,
    >
    > > http://www.acelab.ru/products/pc/utility.smart203.zip,
    >
    > Oh goody, a utility with a setup completely in russian.

    Sorry, i have forgotten, that Smart Vision almost all in russian. Use
    DTemp, it is much better and also it is in english.

    Arno Wagner <me@privacy.net> wrote in message news:<c4rvut$2lrig9$2@ID-2964.news.uni-berlin.de>...
    > Previously Paul Smart <smart_paul2000@yahoo.com> wrote:
    > > Hello everyone
    >
    > > I have just bought a computer second hand and am getting the following
    > > message. I do not know exactly what it means or how to fix it so any
    > > help would be greatly appreciated. The message is as follows.
    >
    > > Smart failure predicted on primary master ST360020A.
    >
    > > I know that this is refering to the hard drive and I was wondering if
    > > I can fix it using software or if I have to replace the hard drive.
    > > Any help greatly appreciated.
    >
    > Expect it do die soon. That is the whole purpose of this message.
    > Software will not help.
    >
    > Arno

    Thanks for the help everyone.

    I thought it would die soon but I just wanted confromation. I was
    planning on updating it some things in the computer anyway, so I will
    replace the hard drive at the same time. If anyone has any
    suggestions on good hard drives I would appreciate them. What are
    your favorites and why.

    My thanks.

    Paul who is trying to learn more about computers.

    "Paul Smart" <smart_paul2000@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:2ed3a24f.0404080638.5a47c11f@posting.google.com...
    > Arno Wagner <me@privacy.net> wrote in message news:<c4rvut$2lrig9$2@ID-2964.news.uni-berlin.de>...
    > > Previously Paul Smart <smart_paul2000@yahoo.com> wrote:
    > > > Hello everyone
    > >
    > > > I have just bought a computer second hand and am getting the following
    > > > message. I do not know exactly what it means or how to fix it so any
    > > > help would be greatly appreciated. The message is as follows.
    > >
    > > > Smart failure predicted on primary master ST360020A.
    > >
    > > > I know that this is refering to the hard drive and I was wondering if
    > > > I can fix it using software or if I have to replace the hard drive.
    > > > Any help greatly appreciated.
    > >
    > > Expect it do die soon. That is the whole purpose of this message.
    > > Software will not help.
    > >
    > > Arno
    >
    > Thanks for the help everyone.
    >
    > I thought it would die soon but I just wanted confromation. I was
    > planning on updating it some things in the computer anyway, so I will
    > replace the hard drive at the same time. If anyone has any
    > suggestions on good hard drives I would appreciate them. What are
    > your favorites and why.
    >
    > My thanks.
    >

    > Paul who is trying to learn more about computers.

    Don't expect to get it from the people that can only spew "Expect
    it do die soon" without asking what it actually complains about.

    And when you don't follow up on the suggestions and just go
    buy a new drive there is very little that you actually learn.

    Paul Smart wrote:

    > Arno Wagner <me@privacy.net> wrote in message news:<c4rvut$2lrig9$2@ID-2964.news.uni-berlin.de>...
    > > Previously Paul Smart <smart_paul2000@yahoo.com> wrote:
    > > > Hello everyone
    > >
    > > > I have just bought a computer second hand and am getting the following
    > > > message. I do not know exactly what it means or how to fix it so any
    > > > help would be greatly appreciated. The message is as follows.
    > >
    > > > Smart failure predicted on primary master ST360020A.
    > >
    > > > I know that this is refering to the hard drive and I was wondering if
    > > > I can fix it using software or if I have to replace the hard drive.
    > > > Any help greatly appreciated.
    > >
    > > Expect it do die soon. That is the whole purpose of this message.
    > > Software will not help.
    > >
    > > Arno
    >
    > Thanks for the help everyone.
    >
    > I thought it would die soon but I just wanted confromation. I was
    > planning on updating it some things in the computer anyway, so I will
    > replace the hard drive at the same time. If anyone has any
    > suggestions on good hard drives I would appreciate them. What are
    > your favorites and why.
    >
    > My thanks.

    Hello, Paul:

    Some people, here, recommend Samsung drives, due to their quietness,
    coolness (from a temperature standpoint, that is <g>), and good
    performance.

    I, myself, bought two of this manufacurer's HDD's (a matching pair of
    SP1614N babies - 160GB, 8MB cache), a couple of weeks ago. Haven't
    installed them, yet, though.

    Too many other upgrade issues to resolve, first, such as: Partition size
    limitations (in Windows ME), potential IRQ conflicts (involving my generic,
    Silicon Image-based "Ultra ATA" controller card), etc.

    > Paul who is trying to learn more about computers.

    So am I (see above!), and I purchased my original PC (Pionex 486DX2/66,
    a "dinosaur"), in 1995. There's always more to learn on this fascinating
    topic, hence, please don't fear to inquire further. I've gained a lot
    of knowledge, over the years, from <news:comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage>
    and other, computer-related newsgroups, and I'm sure that you will, also.

    Good luck!

    Cordially,
    John Turco <jtur@concentric.net>

    John Turco <jtur@concentric.net> wrote in message news:<4078FE6A.81CC0F28@concentric.net>...
    > Paul Smart wrote:
    > >
    > > Arno Wagner <me@privacy.net> wrote in message news:<c4rvut$2lrig9$2@ID-2964.news.uni-berlin.de>...

    > > > Expect it do die soon. That is the whole purpose of this message.
    > > > Software will not help.
    > > >
    > > > Arno
    > >
    > > Thanks for the help everyone.
    > >
    > > I thought it would die soon but I just wanted confromation. I was
    > > planning on updating it some things in the computer anyway, so I will
    > > replace the hard drive at the same time. If anyone has any
    > > suggestions on good hard drives I would appreciate them. What are
    > > your favorites and why.
    > >
    > > My thanks.
    >
    > Hello, Paul:
    >
    > Some people, here, recommend Samsung drives, due to their quietness,
    > coolness (from a temperature standpoint, that is <g>), and good
    > performance.
    >
    > I, myself, bought two of this manufacurer's HDD's (a matching pair of
    > SP1614N babies - 160GB, 8MB cache), a couple of weeks ago. Haven't
    > installed them, yet, though.
    >
    > Too many other upgrade issues to resolve, first, such as: Partition size
    > limitations (in Windows ME), potential IRQ conflicts (involving my generic,
    > Silicon Image-based "Ultra ATA" controller card), etc.
    >
    > > Paul who is trying to learn more about computers.
    >
    > So am I (see above!), and I purchased my original PC (Pionex 486DX2/66,
    > a "dinosaur"), in 1995. There's always more to learn on this fascinating
    > topic, hence, please don't fear to inquire further. I've gained a lot
    > of knowledge, over the years, from <news:comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage>
    > and other, computer-related newsgroups, and I'm sure that you will, also.
    >
    > Good luck!
    >

    > Cordially,
    > John Turco <jtur@concentric.net>

    Thanks John

    That was very helpful. I am currently working in Tokyo so I will head
    down to the electronic district next week. To answer the previous
    posters question, I fully intend to follow up on your suggestions,
    they are very helpful. I am just intending to buy a new drive so I
    can get to work on my computer. I will keep the old one and
    experiment with it. It will be my learning drive if you will. If it
    turns out to be fine I will even reinstall it, I can always use more
    power or a place to back things up. My thanks.

    Paul

Hard Drives Storage