Automatic Update won't load

I have an XP box with SP2 on which Automatic Update seems to hang when
loaded. I've got it turned off now, but I need to have it running to get
updates. (Apparently MS now won't let you do updates without having Automatic
Updates running.)

How can I fix Automatic Updates without reinstalling all of XP and the
various service packs?

Malke

Windowed wrote:

> I have an XP box with SP2 on which Automatic Update seems to hang when
> gets loaded. I've got it turned off now, but I need to have it running
> to get updates. (Apparently MS now won't let you do updates without
> having Automatic Updates running.)
>
> How can I fix Automatic Updates without reinstalling all of XP and the
> various service packs?

1. What is the virus/malware status of the computer? Make sure it is
clean:

2. Once you know your computer is clean, then post your question to the
Windows Update newsgroup: microsoft.public.windowsupdate
Make sure you include information about your computer, the malware
status, and what changed between the time things worked and the time
they didn't.

Malke
--
Elephant Boy Computers