Anybody using a Tecwind Thunder-X USB enclosure?

I bought a Tecwind "Thunder-X" 5.25" USB 2.0 enclosure which I would
like to eventually use for a DVD burner. I decided to do some testing
first with a hard disk in the case (Maxtor DiamondMax+9) to see how it
performs. Unfortunately, on my MSI KT3-Ultra2 I cannot get the external
disk to write at more than 6.5 MB/sec with USB error detection disabled,
and only about 3.5 MB/sec with error detection enabled. I'm not sure if
this indicates a problem with the USB controller on the motherboard (Via
KT-333, I have read that Via's USB is not the greatest), or with the
USB-IDE bridge in the external case. If anyone else has the same case,
can you comment on what kind of transfer rates you get with it?

Thanks,
Peter

One more thing - it seems that only the write performance is this bad.
Reading files off the USB disk is much faster, up to 16 MB/sec or more.
There does not seem to be any way to enable the write cache on the
external drive, but I wouldn't expect that to be a bottleneck compared
to the relatively low USB throughput.