Finished up HL2 today. Great fun while it laster, even if the ending was
somthing of a disappointment. Won't be playing it again any time soon.
Want to install it/transfer it onto my son's computer (across the room).
Any special tricks to avoid the dreaded "CD key already registered" error?
Just install with the same account/password as I originally did on my
system?

TIA
FIF

sleepy

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2001

"FranticInFresno" <MostWanted@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Finished up HL2 today. Great fun while it laster, even if the ending was
> somthing of a disappointment. Won't be playing it again any time soon.
> Want to install it/transfer it onto my son's computer (across the room).
> Any special tricks to avoid the dreaded "CD key already registered" error?
> Just install with the same account/password as I originally did on my
> system?
>
> TIA
> FIF

thats what you have to do - bear in mind you cant use the same account
at the same time - you cant play CSS or DOD while he plays HL2 etc ..
unless after he installs it and updates it he then pulls the plug on his net
connection and forces offline mode.

>> Finished up HL2 today. Great fun while it laster, even if the ending was
>> somthing of a disappointment. Won't be playing it again any time soon.
>> Want to install it/transfer it onto my son's computer (across the room).
>> Any special tricks to avoid the dreaded "CD key already registered"
>> error? Just install with the same account/password as I originally did on
>> my system?
>>
>> TIA
>> FIF
>>
> thats what you have to do - bear in mind you cant use the same account
> at the same time - you cant play CSS or DOD while he plays HL2 etc ..
> unless after he installs it and updates it he then pulls the plug on his
> net
> connection and forces offline mode.

game, and then resubscribe on my sons CPU?

FYI: He has a recent model DELL, we have broadband, STEAM (only) is
installed on his system.

>>> Finished up HL2 today. Great fun while it laster, even if the ending
>>> was somthing of a disappointment. Won't be playing it again any time
>>> soon. Want to install it/transfer it onto my son's computer (across the
>>> room). Any special tricks to avoid the dreaded "CD key already
>>> registered" error? Just install with the same account/password as I
>>> originally did on my system?
>>>
>>> TIA
>>> FIF
>>>
>> thats what you have to do - bear in mind you cant use the same account
>> at the same time - you cant play CSS or DOD while he plays HL2 etc ..
>> unless after he installs it and updates it he then pulls the plug on his
>> net
>> connection and forces offline mode.

> game, and then resubscribe on my sons CPU?
>
> FYI: He has a recent model DELL, we have broadband, STEAM (only) is
> installed on his system.
is the same username and password as yours (i.e.: the same account), it will
work. I now have it installed on 3 computers, and it works fine. You could
install it on 10 computers and it would still work. If he's got a different
STEAM account on his then you can't install YOUR game to it. When you start
STEAM, on his machine, go to Settings and it will show you the registered
email address and username. If it's something different from your account
(which has the CD key registered to it), you'll have to click the 'Log in as
a different user' button to enter your account information. If this doesn't
work, uninstall STEAM on his computer, then reinstall it with your account
information. It will actually download the games you have registered to
each computer your STEAM account is on, but it is usually quicker to install
them locally.

On 3/6/2005 6:29 AM FranticInFresno brightened our day with:

>>>Finished up HL2 today. Great fun while it laster, even if the ending was
>>>somthing of a disappointment. Won't be playing it again any time soon.
>>>Want to install it/transfer it onto my son's computer (across the room).
>>>Any special tricks to avoid the dreaded "CD key already registered"
>>>error? Just install with the same account/password as I originally did on
>>>my system?
>>>
>>>TIA
>>>FIF
>>>

>>thats what you have to do - bear in mind you cant use the same account
>>at the same time - you cant play CSS or DOD while he plays HL2 etc ..
>>unless after he installs it and updates it he then pulls the plug on his
>>net
>>connection and forces offline mode.

>game, and then resubscribe on my sons CPU?
>
>FYI: He has a recent model DELL, we have broadband, STEAM (only) is
>installed on his system.

You have to transfer the entire account, e.g. give your son your
username and password, or for $10, I think, you can have valve
disassociate the CD Key from your account. I'm not at all sure about
the latter, you'd have to check the www.steampowered.com/forums for
advice on that.
Unless you get Valve to do something the CD-Key is permanently attached
to your Steam Account, so just entering the key in again is obviously
going to cause an error.

--
Steve ¤»Inglo«¤
www.inglostadt.com

shawk

FranticInFresno wrote:
>>>Finished up HL2 today. Great fun while it laster, even if the ending was
>>>somthing of a disappointment. Won't be playing it again any time soon.
>>>Want to install it/transfer it onto my son's computer (across the room).
>>>Any special tricks to avoid the dreaded "CD key already registered"
>>>error? Just install with the same account/password as I originally did on
>>>my system?
>>>
>>>TIA
>>>FIF
>>>

>>thats what you have to do - bear in mind you cant use the same account
>>at the same time - you cant play CSS or DOD while he plays HL2 etc ..
>>unless after he installs it and updates it he then pulls the plug on his
>>net
>>connection and forces offline mode.

> game, and then resubscribe on my sons CPU?
>
> FYI: He has a recent model DELL, we have broadband, STEAM (only) is
> installed on his system.

Why are you entering the CD key?

AFAIK you just d-load Steam to your son's computer, copy your Steamapps
folder to his PC, sign in on his PC to Steam with your details, Steam
will update his PC thinking it is yours and away he goes.

--
I mean, you've been around a bit, you know, like, you've, uh... You've
'done it'...

shawk

Shawk wrote:

>>> thats what you have to do - bear in mind you cant use the same account
>>> at the same time - you cant play CSS or DOD while he plays HL2 etc ..
>>> unless after he installs it and updates it he then pulls the plug on
>>> his net
>>> connection and forces offline mode.

>> the game, and then resubscribe on my sons CPU?
>>
>> FYI: He has a recent model DELL, we have broadband, STEAM (only) is
>> installed on his system.
>>

> Why are you entering the CD key?
>
> AFAIK you just d-load Steam to your son's computer, copy your Steamapps
> folder to his PC, sign in on his PC to Steam with your details, Steam
> will update his PC thinking it is yours and away he goes.

Edit - sorry - missed the bit about already having Steam on his PC. The
rest still stands plus with Broadband you can just sign into your
account on his PC and download HL2 and any of the other games you are
entitled to direct. No need to install from disk at all.

--
I mean, you've been around a bit, you know, like, you've, uh... You've
'done it'...
What do you mean?
Well, I mean like,... you've SLEPT, with a lady...
Yes...
What's it like?

"FranticInFresno" <MostWanted@hotmail.com> wrote in message

> When I try to enter the CD KEY into Steam, I get an error:
> "You already have an active subscription to the game associated with this
> CD KEY".

Shouldn't be any different than a reinstall on a freshly formatted system.
I got the same message when I did exactly that, but it makes sense since I'd
already registered it. What I did was simply start the game and log onto
Steam with my existing account. It went smoothly from there, no problems at
all. Like other people here have said, make sure you're not trying to play
multi-player games on both PC's at once, and you should be fine. Better
still, uninstall it from your machine to avoid the problem altogether. You
shouldn't have any problems.

"KCB" wrote

> If it's something different from your account (which has the CD key
> registered to it), you'll have to click the 'Log in as a different user'
> button to enter your account information. If this doesn't work,

"Log in as a different user" works excellent

The only problem is the amount of HD space used :)

- Peter

"Shawk" wrote

> Edit - sorry - missed the bit about already having Steam on his PC. The
> rest still stands plus with Broadband you can just sign into your account
> on his PC and download HL2 and any of the other games you are entitled to
> direct. No need to install from disk at all.

Yep just log in with the steamaccount and get the goodies works like a charm
Put the media away

Peter - who's tired of his two shelfs full of media - steam rulez

> Shawk wrote:

>>> game, and then resubscribe on my sons CPU?
>>>
>>> FYI: He has a recent model DELL, we have broadband, STEAM (only) is
>>> installed on his system.
>>> ===========================================================
>>>

>> Why are you entering the CD key?
>>
>> AFAIK you just d-load Steam to your son's computer, copy your Steamapps
>> folder to his PC, sign in on his PC to Steam with your details, Steam
>> will update his PC thinking it is yours and away he goes.
>>
> Edit - sorry - missed the bit about already having Steam on his PC. The
> rest still stands plus with Broadband you can just sign into your account
> on his PC and download HL2 and any of the other games you are entitled to
> direct. No need to install from disk at all.

<snip>

Worked. Thanks for the helpful suggestion!

shawk

FranticInFresno wrote:

> Worked. Thanks for the helpful suggestion!

Excellent!