Boot Volume is not the Primary partition.

Last response: in Storage
Share
April 6, 2004 4:03:37 PM

I had my 80GB HD partitioned into 2 volumes. The first 20 as my
"system" drive, and the last 60 as my "data" drive. Well I just put a
clean copy of XP back on the first 20 because I switched motherboard
and processor, a fantastic upgrade from a PIII 450 on an AOPEN AX6BC
to an Athlon XP 2500+ on an ASUS A7N8X.

In the process of laying XP back down, I booted from the XP CD,
deleted the 20 GB partition, and then told it to go to work.... it
formats in NTFS and copies files and installs XP....

The one thing I noticed was during the repartition / reformat, it was
referring to the new partition as "partition 3"... I'm sure it's not
a big deal, but I also noticed (since I was looking to see if this
affected anything) that in Administrative Tools - Computer Management
- Storage - Disk Management, My first 20 GB drive is designated as the
Boot Volume, but it's not the "Primary Partition" instead it's in
lighter blue as a "Logical Drive". I'm assuming before I trashed my
original system partation, it was the "primary partation".. I also
assume I should want my boot volume to be the primary partition...
Performance issues?. Is there any legit way to restore the boot
volume as primary without trashing the data in the other 60GB
partition? Should I care to? Also was there a method I should have
used to just format my system partition without having deleted the
partition itself? Obviously I can't be booted from the drive and say
"format c:" I think I had the option to install windows XP onto the
partition without deleting the partition, but I had no indication that
this would first reformat the partition.

Also my final 60GB drive, to the right of the "Healthy" designation,
where my boot drive says "(Boot)" the 60GB says "(system)".... what
does that mean?
Anonymous
a b G Storage
April 7, 2004 6:23:05 PM

Ethan <hupjack@excite.com> wrote in message

> I had my 80GB HD partitioned into 2 volumes. The first 20 as my
> "system" drive, and the last 60 as my "data" drive. Well I just put
> a clean copy of XP back on the first 20 because I switched
> motherboard and processor, a fantastic upgrade from a PIII 450 on
> an AOPEN AX6BC to an Athlon XP 2500+ on an ASUS A7N8X.

> In the process of laying XP back down, I booted
> from the XP CD, deleted the 20 GB partition,

You could have just told it to install on that 20GB
partition, told it that you didnt want to repair that
installation, and have been given a list of choices
on how to format it before the install, basically
quick and long format in FAT32 or NTFS format.

> and then told it to go to work.... it formats
> in NTFS and copies files and installs XP....

> The one thing I noticed was during the repartition / reformat,
> it was referring to the new partition as "partition 3"... I'm sure
> it's not a big deal, but I also noticed (since I was looking to see
> if this affected anything) that in Administrative Tools - Computer
> Management - Storage - Disk Management, My first 20 GB drive
> is designated as the Boot Volume, but it's not the "Primary
> Partition" instead it's in lighter blue as a "Logical Drive".

> I'm assuming before I trashed my original
> system partation, it was the "primary partation"..

Maybe. It may have been a logical drive in an extended partition too.

> I also assume I should want my boot
> volume to be the primary partition...

Doesnt matter with XP, its happy to have either as the boot partition.

> Performance issues?.

Nope.

> Is there any legit way to restore the boot volume as primary
> without trashing the data in the other 60GB partition?

In theory partition magic should be able to do that.

In practice its very risky attempting it without a full backup.

> Should I care to?

Probably not. The main consideration is that you cant decide
to give XP the flick and return to Win9x very easily because
it needs to be installed on a primary dos partition.

While thats unlikely, I have seen some
gamers give up on XP and return to Win9x.

> Also was there a method I should have used to just format
> my system partition without having deleted the partition itself?

Yep.

> Obviously I can't be booted from the drive and say "format c:"
> I think I had the option to install windows XP onto the partition
> without deleting the partition, but I had no indication that this
> would first reformat the partition.

You would have got that if you just told it to install on that
partition. It would have told you that XP was installed on
that already and you would have been given a choice of
repairing that installation or formatting it first.

> Also my final 60GB drive, to the right of the "Healthy"
> designation, where my boot drive says "(Boot)" the
> 60GB says "(system)".... what does that mean?

Dunno, on none of my systems is any partition labelled (Boot),
they all have the boot partition as (System), but then they all
have a primary partition as the boot partition. Too lazy to
install one the other way to see what happens to that labelling.
Anonymous
a b G Storage
April 7, 2004 6:23:06 PM

thanks for the feedback..
sounds like I don't have much to worry about.
a b G Storage
April 7, 2004 10:00:23 PM

"Rod Speed" <rod_speed@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:c4vvnb$2mb8o6$1@ID-69072.news.uni-berlin.de...

> Ethan <hupjack@excite.com> wrote in message news:6adb45bb.0404061103.506dc0a8@posting.google.com...
>
> > I had my 80GB HD partitioned into 2 volumes. The first 20 as my
> > "system" drive, and the last 60 as my "data" drive. Well I just put
> > a clean copy of XP back on the first 20 because I switched
> > motherboard and processor, a fantastic upgrade from a PIII 450 on
> > an AOPEN AX6BC to an Athlon XP 2500+ on an ASUS A7N8X.
>
> > In the process of laying XP back down, I booted
> > from the XP CD, deleted the 20 GB partition,
>
> You could have just told it to install on that 20GB
> partition, told it that you didnt want to repair that
> installation, and have been given a list of choices
> on how to format it before the install, basically
> quick and long format in FAT32 or NTFS format.
>
> > and then told it to go to work.... it formats
> > in NTFS and copies files and installs XP....
>
> > The one thing I noticed was during the repartition / reformat,
> > it was referring to the new partition as "partition 3"... I'm sure
> > it's not a big deal, but I also noticed (since I was looking to see
> > if this affected anything) that in Administrative Tools - Computer
> > Management - Storage - Disk Management, My first 20 GB drive
> > is designated as the Boot Volume, but it's not the "Primary
> > Partition" instead it's in lighter blue as a "Logical Drive".
>
> > I'm assuming before I trashed my original
> > system partation, it was the "primary partation"..
>
> Maybe. It may have been a logical drive in an extended partition too.
>
> > I also assume I should want my boot
> > volume to be the primary partition...
>
> Doesnt matter with XP, its happy to have either as the boot partition.
>
> > Performance issues?.
>
> Nope.
>
> > Is there any legit way to restore the boot volume as primary
> > without trashing the data in the other 60GB partition?
>
> In theory partition magic should be able to do that.
>
> In practice its very risky attempting it without a full backup.
>
> > Should I care to?
>
> Probably not. The main consideration is that you cant decide
> to give XP the flick and return to Win9x very easily

> because it needs to be installed on a primary dos partition.

Clueless drivel. Win9x works fine on non primary dos partitions.

> While thats unlikely, I have seen some
> gamers give up on XP and return to Win9x.
>
> > Also was there a method I should have used to just format
> > my system partition without having deleted the partition itself?
>
> Yep.
>
> > Obviously I can't be booted from the drive and say "format c:"
> > I think I had the option to install windows XP onto the partition
> > without deleting the partition, but I had no indication that this
> > would first reformat the partition.
>
> You would have got that if you just told it to install on that
> partition. It would have told you that XP was installed on
> that already and you would have been given a choice of
> repairing that installation or formatting it first.
>
> > Also my final 60GB drive, to the right of the "Healthy"
> > designation, where my boot drive says "(Boot)" the
> > 60GB says "(system)".... what does that mean?
>
> Dunno, on none of my systems is any partition labelled (Boot),
> they all have the boot partition as (System), but then they all
> have a primary partition as the boot partition. Too lazy to
> install one the other way to see what happens to that labelling.

Anonymous
a b G Storage
April 7, 2004 10:00:24 PM

> > Probably not. The main consideration is that you cant decide
> > to give XP the flick and return to Win9x very easily
>
> > because it needs to be installed on a primary dos partition.
>
> Clueless drivel. Win9x works fine on non primary dos partitions.

YIKES! Harsh words...

I'll keep that in mind if I ever need win 98 again.
Anonymous
a b G Storage
April 8, 2004 2:53:04 PM

hupjack <hupjack_nospamtoday_yahoo.com> wrote in
message news:aa-dnS7UkIiHPOndRVn-tw@comcast.com...

>>> Probably not. The main consideration is that you cant decide
>>> to give XP the flick and return to Win9x very easily
>>> because it needs to be installed on a primary dos partition.

>> Clueless drivel. Win9x works fine on non primary dos partitions.

> YIKES! Harsh words...

Pathetic excuse for a troll, actually.

> I'll keep that in mind if I ever need win 98 again.

Its just another of its pathetic excuses for a troll.

It wont install on a logical drive.
Anonymous
a b G Storage
April 8, 2004 11:39:30 PM

"hupjack" <hupjack_nospamtoday_yahoo.com> wrote in message news:aa-dnS7UkIiHPOndRVn-tw@comcast.com...
> > > Probably not. The main consideration is that you cant decide
> > > to give XP the flick and return to Win9x very easily
> >
> > > because it needs to be installed on a primary dos partition.
> >
> > Clueless drivel. Win9x works fine on non primary dos partitions.
>
> YIKES! Harsh words...

The only ones it understands.

> I'll keep that in mind if I ever need win 98 again.

c:\msdos.sys

[Paths]
WinDir=D:\WIN98FE
WinBootDir=C:\WIN98FE
HostWinBootDrv=C

Like I said, no problem at all.
Win9x has the provisions for running windows from another drive than C:\
Only the boot part (a minimal DOS: bootsector, IO.SYS and MSDOS.SYS)
will be on C:

Anonymous
a b G Storage
April 9, 2004 9:35:50 AM

Folkert Rienstra <see_reply-to@myweb.nl> wrote in message
> hupjack <hupjack_nospamtoday_yahoo.com> wrote

>>> Clueless drivel. Win9x works fine on non primary dos partitions.

>> YIKES! Harsh words...

> The only ones it understands.

Pathetic, really.

>> I'll keep that in mind if I ever need win 98 again.

> c:\msdos.sys

> [Paths]
> WinDir=D:\WIN98FE
> WinBootDir=C:\WIN98FE
> HostWinBootDrv=C

> Like I said, no problem at all.

Pity about my 'very easily' you pathetic excuse for a troll.

> Win9x has the provisions for running windows from another
> drive than C:\ Only the boot part (a minimal DOS: bootsector,
> IO.SYS and MSDOS.SYS) will be on C:

Pity there wont be a C for that in his situation, you pathetic excuse for a troll.

Yes, its possible to do it, and most decent boot managers
can do it, but that doesnt qualify as anything like 'very easily'.

MUCH simpler to have XP installed on a primary partition for
someone like that to be able to return to Win9x very easily.
!