What is the best strategy for long drive life? (turn off d..

I often wonder if I should turn off my computer when not in use, or at least
turn the drives off. What do you folks think? I use a mix of IDE and
serial ATA drives and windows XP. XP has the options of turning off drives
after so long of inactivity, how long should that period be? ANY tips are
greatly appreciated. I appreciate any comments on the subject.

Thanks,
--Dan

In article <6wjdc.19821$Rb4.11601@newssvr27.news.prodigy.com>,
dg <dan_gus@hotmail.com> wrote:
>I often wonder if I should turn off my computer when not in use, or at least
>turn the drives off. What do you folks think? I use a mix of IDE and
>serial ATA drives and windows XP. XP has the options of turning off drives
>after so long of inactivity, how long should that period be? ANY tips are
>greatly appreciated. I appreciate any comments on the subject.
>
>Thanks,
>--Dan

I'm really happy with the automatic hibernate feature on XP and w2k.
I can walk away from my PC and if I don't get back to it, it will save
everything and power itself off after a set time. Touch the power
button and it's back with all my applications where I left them, in
just a few seconds.

I get Longer life for all the components, and a lower electric bill.

Before my systems could hibernate I just turned my monitor off at the
end of the day.

--
Al Dykes
-----------

Best strategy for long drive life?
o Probably temperature
---- both in terms of maximum (keeping them cool)
---- and in terms of temperature cycling - gets into Physics Of Failure
o Thus powering them off perhaps only at the end of the day
---- this could degenerate into consumer v enterprise again
---- at least it provides a balance re on-time v cyclings

I would certainly turn CRTs off overnight re temperature/power use.
--
Dorothy Bradbury

Hi,

one thing is to keep them cool!
--
Wayne ][
<Intel® Pentium® 4 - Online! :p>

"Al Dykes" <adykes@panix.com> wrote in message news:c553n3$80k$1@panix3.panix.com...
> In article <6wjdc.19821$Rb4.11601@newssvr27.news.prodigy.com>,
> dg <dan_gus@hotmail.com> wrote:
> >I often wonder if I should turn off my computer when not in use, or at least
> >turn the drives off. What do you folks think? I use a mix of IDE and
> >serial ATA drives and windows XP. XP has the options of turning off drives
> >after so long of inactivity, how long should that period be? ANY tips are
> >greatly appreciated. I appreciate any comments on the subject.
> >
> >Thanks,
> >--Dan
> >

> I'm really happy with the automatic hibernate feature on XP and w2k.
> I can walk away from my PC and if I don't get back to it, it will save
> everything and power itself off after a set time. Touch the power
> button and it's back with all my applications where I left them, in
> just a few seconds.

> I get Longer life for all the components,

Thats distinctly arguable.

> and a lower electric bill.

> Before my systems could hibernate I just
> turned my monitor off at the end of the day.

Well, I have seven fans in the case. Two intakes across the HD, 3
internal to the case (front to back) and two in the power supply.
Internal temperature is about 2 degrees hotter than ambient. Seems to
work. I have lost 2 (SCSI) drives in the last ten years. The current
crop of one SCSI (about 7 years) and three ATAPI ( two to three years
so far.) (More than one computer.) I retired several others because
they were tiny. I also lost one of the old original Control Data 1 GB
5.25 full height SCSI drives after about 6 years.

Jim