password

I have a hardrive wich is protected with a password. I dont know the
password. The bios want let me in, because the password overrides the bios
and askes for the password.
What can I do to get rid of the password

Previously Jada Masa <jadasmasa678@yahoo.no> wrote:
> I have a hardrive wich is protected with a password. I dont know the
> password. The bios want let me in, because the password overrides the bios
> and askes for the password.
> What can I do to get rid of the password

Depends. If it is a laptop drive from IBM, no chance. Apparently
these laptops are stolen so often that IBM stopped doing this
type of repair. They will not even replace the drive without
proof of purchase. And you will have to pay for a new drive
anyways.

Arno

Leo

Distinguished
Feb 27, 2001

Arno Wagner <me@privacy.net> wrote in message news:<c5518i$2olufm$3@ID-2964.news.uni-berlin.de>...

> Depends. If it is a laptop drive from IBM, no chance. Apparently
> these laptops are stolen so often that IBM stopped doing this
> type of repair.

The chance exists. Not only IBM can unlock Travelstars ;-)

Leonid

"Jada Masa" <jadasmasa678@yahoo.no> wrote in message news:c54glu$l94$1@services.kq.no...
> I have a hardrive wich is protected with a password. I dont know the
> password. The bios want let me in, because the password overrides the bios
> and askes for the password.
> What can I do to get rid of the password

The short story is that there are some
operations that can get around that, for a price.

Jada Masa wrote:

> I have a hardrive wich is protected with a password. I dont know the
> password. The bios want let me in, because the password overrides the bios
> and askes for the password.
> What can I do to get rid of the password

Social engineering is IMHO your best chance, since most passwords are
chosen by humans. If you created the PW and have merely forgotten it,
then think of the PWs you would choose today and try a bunch; if you
bought the HD from another, ask her what kinds of PWs she'd use.

OTOH, if you stole the HD, then I hope you fail.
--
Cheers, Bob

Previously Leo <Leo@softjoys.ru> wrote:
> Arno Wagner <me@privacy.net> wrote in message news:<c5518i$2olufm$3@ID-2964.news.uni-berlin.de>...
>>
>> Depends. If it is a laptop drive from IBM, no chance. Apparently
>> these laptops are stolen so often that IBM stopped doing this
>> type of repair.

> The chance exists. Not only IBM can unlock Travelstars ;-)

O.K., you obviously know more about this than I do... ;-)

Arno

"Arno Wagner" <me@privacy.net> wrote in message news:c578sh$2p3aja$3@ID-2964.news.uni-berlin.de...
> Previously Leo <Leo@softjoys.ru> wrote:
> > Arno Wagner <me@privacy.net> wrote in message news:<c5518i$2olufm$3@ID-2964.news.uni-berlin.de>...
> >>
> >> Depends. If it is a laptop drive from IBM, no chance. Apparently
> >> these laptops are stolen so often that IBM stopped doing this
> >> type of repair.
>
> > The chance exists. Not only IBM can unlock Travelstars ;-)
>
> O.K., you obviously know more about this than I do... ;-)

Pity how that never shuts you up, beforehand.
Just shows how your info is usually not to be trusted.