unknown software exception

Hello all,
When I try to run a scan, my program does very well at first but when it
reaches registry keys it says it has run out of virtual memory. It works on
that for a while and eventually slows down so much it stops running at all.
Eventually I see an error message (0xc0000017) Unknown Software exception
0x7c81eb33. I have tried running the scan many times and have not been
successful once. Can anyone help?
5 answers Last reply
More about unknown software exception

    pqter wrote:

    > Hello all,
    > When I try to run a scan, my program does very well at first but when
    > it
    > reaches registry keys it says it has run out of virtual memory. It
    > works on that for a while and eventually slows down so much it stops
    > running at all. Eventually I see an error message (0xc0000017) Unknown
    > Software exception
    > 0x7c81eb33. I have tried running the scan many times and have not
    > been
    > successful once. Can anyone help?

    What program (name and version and if an antivirus whether the virus
    definitions are current)?

    If you are trying to do an antivirus scan, make sure you are doing it in
    Safe Mode. Alternately, try scanning with Sysclean to start with (also
    in Safe Mode). Instructions for getting into Safe Mode and using
    Sysclean here:

    Malke
    --
    Elephant Boy Computers
    www.elephantboycomputers.com

    I'm sorry, I wasn't very clear in my first message. I downloaded Microsoft
    Antispyware Beta Version and can't get through the first scan. Will the
    information you indicated below work in this instance?

    pqter wrote:

    > I'm sorry, I wasn't very clear in my first message. I downloaded
    > Microsoft
    > Antispyware Beta Version and can't get through the first scan. Will
    > the information you indicated below work in this instance?

    I believe that MSAS will be a good program, but it is still in Beta.
    Beta software means the program is not in final form but is still in
    the bug-checking phase. I would definitely go through the malware
    removal steps in my previous links if you feel your computer is
    infected, at least with Ad-aware and Spybot. If you don't have an
    antivirus installed, go through the whole shebang. Otherwise, post your
    questions about MSAS in one of the newsgroups set up specifically for
    that program. Here are links:

    At this time, support for the beta version of Microsoft Windows
    AntiSpyware is being provided through the following Microsoft
    newsgroups:

    - microsoft.private.security.spyware.announcements
    - microsoft.private.security.spyware.appcompat
    - microsoft.private.security.spyware.general
    - microsoft.private.security.spyware.install
    - microsoft.private.security.spyware.networking
    - microsoft.private.security.spyware.signatures
    - microsoft.private.security.spyware.onlinecommunity

    These newsgroups can be accessed via NNTP or HTTP. To access these
    newsgroups using HTTP, please go to the following location:

    http://communities.microsoft.com/newsgroups/default.asp?ICP=spyware&sLCID=us

    To access these newsgroups using NNTP, please use the following
    information for your NNTP client (such as Microsoft Outlook Express):

    - NNTP Server: privatenews.microsoft.com
    - Account name: privatenews\spyware
    - Password: spyware

    NOTE: No password will be required via the HTTP link.

    Malke
    --
    MS-MVP Windows User/Shell
    Elephant Boy Computers
    www.elephantboycomputers.com
    "Don't Panic"

    Thanks so much for everything! You were very helpful.

    pqter wrote:

    > Thanks so much for everything! You were very helpful.

    My pleasure. Good luck.

    Malke
    --
    Elephant Boy Computers